National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My source for lead has dried up. Sportsman's Warehouse does not have it anymore! What the heck is with that. Do we now have to go on the net to buy lead and pay for the shipping charges??

G

·
Lead has jumped 100 % in value in the last 6 months,tire dealers are now scraping out the wheel weights. My son stopped to gt tires last week and could get only a half 5 gal bucket. Guy said they get $300.00/55 gal drum.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Sportsman's Warehouse went useless here in NM around last February. For my large orders, I've been doing business with Outdoor Marksman ( http://www.outdoormarksman.com/buyammo.php ). They've treated me well and had my order here in 5 days (OR ==> NM). Good folks to deal with.

OH __ Sorry Sig -- I just re-read your post. You want just plain lead, like ingots? I dunno. Outdoor Marksman had the best deals on lead bullets.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I lucked out about a month ago. I was talking "guns" with a guy and he asked me if I knew anyone who wanted some lead. It seems he had a bunch of wheel weights he wanted to get rid of. I asked him how much he had to get for them and he said they would be free for the hauling. It took me about 2 weeks to get there but I made contact with him and picked up four 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights. He said he'd given two other buckets away before I got there. Between yesterday and today I've cleaned up about 70 pounds of lead and cast it into ingots. I'm not quite halfway through the first bucket. Since I already had about 500 pounds cleaned and in storage I figure I'll have enough to last me for a while. But it don't eat nothin' so I'll just hang on to it.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gunrnr said:
Sportsman's Warehouse went useless here in NM around last February. For my large orders, I've been doing business with Outdoor Marksman ( http://www.outdoormarksman.com/buyammo.php ). They've treated me well and had my order here in 5 days (OR ==> NM). Good folks to deal with.

OH __ Sorry Sig -- I just re-read your post. You want just plain lead, like ingots? I dunno. Outdoor Marksman had the best deals on lead bullets.

Thanks for that link, I am looking for bullets at a reasonable price. I don't have the equipment to make my own lead bullets from scratch.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
With the lead market what it is today, lead is no longer a commodity people "want rid of". It's become worth it to take the time and effort to scrap it out. Especially these big name tire dealers like Big O, Pep Boys, and Discount Tire who sell several hundred in the course of a days business. It doesn't take them very long to accumulate several hundred pounds. What was free you will now be forced to pay the going rate for. The best bet would be to talk to the manager of one of these places and offer him more than the scrap price he's getting for a few hundred pounds. If he's not anti gun, he might go for it. I was at Cabela's yesterday and a 25 pound bag of shot is now selling for $40.00. Back in 1998 I bought a ton, (80 bags), for $12.00 a bag. We're still shooting it. It's going to kill me when I have to buy more. You get around 400 1 ounce trap loads to a bag. With both Mel and I shooting, it doesn't take long to go through a bag. Bill T.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts