National Gun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place to store ammo? I have most of it in ammo boxes. Is the garage good? That is where the wife wants it. I was thinking about piling it up around me in the bed, just in case. :thumbsup:

· Old School.
11,011 Posts
A cool dry place is fine. The garage is OK as long as it's not damp and real humid. I wouldn't put it flat on the floor. Put it on some 2x4's or a old skid for air can move around it.

I keep mine under my bench or in ammo cans in a closet in the bed room. It should last for ever like that.:biggrin5:

· Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I am lucky, my garage has all built in cabinets and my ammo is stored in the cabinets behind closed lockable doors.:thumbsup:

· Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Kudos on the organization!!!!
LMAO!!

I was going to ask him where he got the storage unit.

I guess that picture is a subtle answer..."it really doesn't matter, just keep it dry."

Mine's in my bedroom closet.

It's stacked neatly until I need something that's on the bottom (that was 3 years ago, someday I'll reorganize it).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, let's remember: In Korea it was stored in tents in 18 deg temps, worked fine.

Now it's stored in 118 deg temps in tents, works fine.

Ammo is tough stuff. Just keep it dry as possible and off of the ground.
My shooting buddy and I just shot a can of WWII M-1 ammo a few weeks ago. Not a single failure! Shot 3" groups at 100 yds with iron sights too.:biggrin5:

· Registered
402 Posts
Where is the best place to store ammo? I have most of it in ammo boxes. Is the garage good? That is where the wife wants it. I was thinking about piling it up around me in the bed, just in case. :thumbsup:
You can store it at my place. I won't shoot up much of it.

· Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
I also keep mine in my bedroom closet. Most of it is in the safe, I need more guns so that there is less room for ammo I guess. :lol:

I plan on getting a few dry boxes for it eventually.

· Registered
1,635 Posts
Cool, DRY and dark, stored in sealed plastic or metal cans with 'O' rings. The condition that is most injurious to ammo is dampness or condensation due to temperature changes. Long term storage in airtight containers, with sealed in vacuum or no moisture air/gas (e.g. nitrogen) is the best - but few of us have this...just use common sense and a cool, dry place to store your ammo. Military ammo cans are the best containers - but you should ensure that when you pack them up - you have a fairly dry air day - low humidity - what ever you seal into your ammo containers is what the ammo will have to live in - until you call it out for use.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where?

I store it with my weapons. Then I don't have to go look for it if I need it. Good enough for my guns, good enough for my bullets. :biggrin5:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.