National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is a generational issue?

I can remember a time when you couldn't go to a gun store or gun show without tripping over a dozen nylon 66s. Now that I want to and can afford to buy one, i am having a hard time finding one for a decent price. Its like all of the nylon 66s have vanished. When is the last time that you have personally seen one?
:cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The semi/auto Remington 66 is an extremely difficult rifle to reassemble,and many a kitchen table Bubba now store them in coffee cans.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you can still find used ones up here in canada. somewhat expensive. joe lee is right ,the nylon 66 was a bit of a unit to disassemble.anything hard to disassemble is very hard to reassemble.i've had a few 66's plus many other breeds as bag guns. what's a bag gun you might ask? a gun disassembled by it's owner, who then has no idea how to put it back together or if he does he has left over parts.it comes to the gunsmith in a glad garbage bag.however there has been a resurgence of the paper brown shopping bags lately, you know the ones with the carrying handles,probably because they're better for the environment. pblsyd p.s. i sold a nylon 66 about 5 years ago for $100.00.good deal eh.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Many have gone into collections. I've a friend who owns six and I saw a display at a gun show last year in Eastern PA, put on by a collector who had 18 at the show and said he had another 20 "or so" at home. They've become a "cult" icon. Guns and Ammo magazine had an article about them last year and the collecting craze.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My dad had one of these when I was a kid, so I grew up shootin the bajeebers out of it. They were fine with the open sights, but pretty worthless for mounting a scope on it, never could keep the scope sighted in. Many a squirrel lost its brains from that ol' 66

Cheers'
Deadcenter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
deadcentre. was the scope on the rem.66 a .22 scope with the clips to mount on the 66's grooved reciever? or was it a centre fire larger scope with standard rings. i got one of those tasco .22 jobs with the scope in the rings,already on the mounting rail. worked great , except the field of view with .22 scope was like looking through the eye of a needle. pblsyd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pblsyd said:
<snip>a .22 scope with the clips to mount on the 66's grooved reciever

it clamped to the top of the reciever .. just wasnt a good fit - I liked it better with open sights

1 - 9 of 9 Posts