National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shooting buddy does not enjoy the confining nature of an indoor range. I on the other hand like the target setups in the indoor ranges, the measured distance and the competition of attempting to take out the circle of the target.

Shooting buddy likes to take the targets out to the woods and spend the day back 10-12 miles off the main road down the logging roads. So off we go an hour from the city today back so far in the woods that you wonder if you will ever find your way out. Encounter loggers with heavy equipment all over the place but find a sweet spot with trees hundreds of feet high and a large backstop to shoot into. A beautiful day I will have to admit.

Will you choose to do your shooting outdoors in a isolated enviorment or do you like the organized range better?

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
I much prefer an outdoor range, and one where there are less people shooting. The range we belong to is primarily a skeet/trap range, but they have a 100-yard rifle and a 25-yard pistol range. I like the rifle range better as it is more isolated, and there you can shoot ANYTHING you want.............. :mrgreen:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SheNine said:
I much prefer an outdoor range, and one where there are less people shooting. The range we belong to is primarily a skeet/trap range, but they have a 100-yard rifle and a 25-yard pistol range. I like the rifle range better as it is more isolated, and there you can shoot ANYTHING you want.............. :mrgreen:

We were back into the deep woods of the Oregon Coastal MTS today and stopped on a logging road that was relatively unused. We had a 25 yard distance to a large hill to shoot into. Nice dug out area used for road building materials I assume. Virgin territory, nobody had been there to shoot yet and we had a great time. Shot handguns, rifles, and shotguns. Set up our own targets and the three of us had a fun day. The drive back into the heavily wooded area was fantastic! We are very lucky to live in this part of the country. ;)

There are only about 4 million people in the state of Oregon and its about as big as Germany! Actually about 70% according to our German friend.

G

·
eXXit said:
gunman42782 said:
Outside. I hate indoor ranges.
How do you get life membership to the NRA gm?

Pay the membership fee. It was $500 when I became a Life Member. I think it is $750 now, but I still see it "on sale" sometimes for $500. They even have a easy pay plan, $25 every 3 months until it is paid.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gunman42782 said:
eXXit said:
gunman42782 said:

Pay the membership fee. It was $500 when I became a Life Member. I think it is $750 now, but I still see it "on sale" sometimes for $500. They even have a easy pay plan, $25 every 3 months until it is paid.

It was $100 when I became a member and was going up to $200 so I jumped in quickly. That was in the 1970's! Couple of years back!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Back yard.

G

·
I nearly always shoot out in the open desert in Arizona, unless I am sighting in a rifle. The Safety Nazis at the ranges assume no one can draw from a holster without shooting themselves, and would surely drop dead of cardiac arrest if they saw some of the other training drills I do, like shooting on the move. They also usually disdain rapid fire, which is of course an absolute necessity in defensive shooting.

They also get mad when I put the "Allah Akbar" t-shirt and turban on the cardboard targets. I don't know why. :twisted:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike Barham said:
I nearly always shoot out in the open desert in Arizona, unless I am sighting in a rifle. The Safety Nazis at the ranges assume no one can draw from a holster without shooting themselves, and would surely drop dead of cardiac arrest if they saw some of the other training drills I do, like shooting on the move. They also usually disdain rapid fire, which is of course an absolute necessity in defensive shooting.

They also get mad when I put the "Allah Akbar" t-shirt and turban on the cardboard targets. I don't know why. :twisted:

Ha!Ha! Yea I agree they can be a bit restrictive and controlling, similar to the military types at basic training. Meant to insure safety and save lives I suppose.

G

·
sig232 said:
gunman42782 said:
eXXit said:
gunman42782 said:

It was $100 when I became a member and was going up to $200 so I jumped in quickly. That was in the 1970's! Couple of years back!
Damn sig, I was still crapin yellow!!! ;)

·
Registered
657 Posts
I don't like structured ranges of any type. Too many rules as to where, how and if I can shoot. Give me some open land anytime.
Living here in rural AZ there are still many areas we can go and enjoy shooting without the "Mother May I?" routine.
Ranges to have the camaraderie thing going for it and you get to see all the others toys too but they stop far short of what I like in shooting.

G

·
:cool: -I enjoy indoor and outdoor ranges, I've spent too many years with restrictions, rules and regs--

--My ranges have all the diff. types of personal/competition/IDPA/Military-M16/Ar 200yd comp. One even has over the water Skeet/trap and also DUCK Hunting--

--I don't blame you for loving the outdoor shooting, because I'm sure you pick-up ALL your cases and paraphenalia --RIGHT???

--JIMBO

·
Registered
957 Posts
I belong to a IPSC pistol club, outdoor range, 3 stop signs from my house. Plenty of targets, cardboard and steel. We have an awning set up for shade and tables with chairs. I got it made. Would only be better if it was in my back yard.

G

·
nothing but outdoor for me. i think i've been in an indoor range less than a handful of timesover the last 5 or so years

1 - 20 of 20 Posts