National Gun Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally i have no issues with case dents in 223/5.56 as fire forming these cases is very common (300 blackout comes to mind). As long as there are no cracks, the dent isn’t deeply pierced (like a pinhole with a hard stop as if you’d used a punch), it’s not in the top of the neck where sealing or trajectory will be affected, or the dent doesn’t mis-shape the round so i have to use the pusher to get it to chamber..... it’s going down range.

below are some rounds I’d like to hear opinions on. These are mixed 223/5.56 rounds.

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
First picture i would use. second picture i would not and the two on the left in the 3rd picture i would probably use. Many times anything right next to or on the shoulder will cause the round to not chamber. I would probably also drop them in a case gauge before loading just to make sure they would fit in a chamber. A dent(especially with a crease) going in sometimes causes a portion on the outside of the dent to raise up. The two on the left that i said i would probably use would certainly be dropped in a case gauge.

·
Registered
14,285 Posts
I had a box of them, I got the sender to take them back. I forget who it was and I can't find the pics, but they were just like thank.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Backstory on my 4 day project..... I’ve bought seconds before earlier in the year when the coof first started and made everything disappear. I have no issues with seconds because there is no problem with fire forming rounds that are still safe so if I can get them I’ll take them. However a few days ago I was offered something entirely different. I was offered 3000 of them and I have been knee-deep in going through multiple ammo cans for days now.

with the current pricing being about a dollar per round, 18¢ is right up my alley. There will be some ill have to re-case, but i have powder, projectiles, and primer for less than i could ever buy them. Its a no brainer.

most are decent, a few have the issue below. The dings on the neck and shoulder are probably going to keep them from seating and sealing properly. If anyone has a different opinion, I’m listening. Same pic with and without flash because ......shadows.

·
Aim true !
11,053 Posts
Did they come like that? Or are they reloads you did? I had the dents like that when i started to load rifle. To much lube was the culprit.

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
I would get a case .223 case gauge and test them to see if they fit. Nothing worse than getting a round jammed in a AR and trying to extract it. Many of those with the dents on shoulder i suspect will not chamber. Not sure what caliber the others are but if it's a bolt gun it;s much easier seeing if they fit or not without jamming them in the chamber so they stick.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only have a hand full with dents this bad and he fireformed these with ease.

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
I'm not saying the dents won't blow out and fireform, I'm just saying depending on where the dent is and how severe that i may not chamber. If the round the guy had in the video wouldn't chamber he could simply pull it back out. In a AR platform with the bolt jamming it into the chamber they don't usually come out so easy which is why i suggested checking them with a case gauge. Also pay attention to the last thing he said, many times dents will rupture especially if the dent has a crease.

·
Live Free
3,121 Posts
You can fire form dents out fairly easily, and I have done so, but a bolt or single shot rifle is best for the task, as Square target said.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heres the before and after on a few i shot today. The two i do not shoot are heavily creased (avoid ruptures) or have a ring near the bottom (Avoid separation).

Since these were done on a dillion 1050 super the defects are all the same so i have 100-200 of each kind of defect. Sometimes it’ll be too much oil, sometimes the machine will be out of adjustment. Either way it makes a few hundred of each so if i shoot a couple and see how they form I’ll know how the rest go.

you can see how these formed. Before and after.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the shot of the above case and my (new) Caldwell chrono. Then below is that case inside to see how the internal wall looks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts