National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
17,527 Posts
I think around the age of 13-14 hunting small game with my father. partridge and squirrel. I sort of felt like a hunter.

Reactions: Johnny Zhang

· Mr.
210 Posts
Probably 10 or 11. Went rabbit hunting with my dad. I felt like a dog, lol.

What are you talking about "what is your record"?

· Registered
1,860 Posts
How's that whole "English as a first language" thing going for you, dude?
Say what, WHY don't you join a Forum, in your own country? Then you can post in your native language.

My first hunting, OK, I was about six, the family was all out, camping together, we decided to see what we could find for dinner, in the wild. I threw a rock
at a large rabbit, and knocked it out. Then I broke it's neck. The rest of the family came up with 2 squirrels, a couple of
Ptarmigan, some eggs from some bird's nests, and a large snake. We skinned it, cooked it, and none of it tasted like chicken,
strangely enough...

· AZHerper
6,336 Posts
I don't remember the first hunting that I did because it was probably about 6 decades ago. However, I remember very well the first (and last) deer that I butchered on my own. I did alright on the backstraps, and some of the choice steaks but when I finished; the majority of the meat was either "stew-meat" or ground venison. It all tasted great but I never tried that again. Just turned carcasses over to professionals. :)

· Registered
367 Posts
I was a tag along during small game from 8 or 9 until I turned 12. (Tag along as not allowed to hold the guns.) At 12 you could carry a rifle with a licensed, adult hunter, which for me then was with my uncle or dad during small game season. They didn't have me out during deer season until I was 15.

At 15, I was partnered with my uncle on a deer hunt. (I had one of his 30.06's) We eventually bumped some deer into others hunters from our camp, so technically, I really only hunted during deer season once before turning 16.

How it felt: However, the pinnacle of my early hunting days occurred when I was 17. I went hunting for my self and by myself, actually drove myself there, strategized where and how I would hunt, hunted, had my lunch, hunted some more, then drove home and dressed the rabbits I took. It felt viseral and surreal. All the acquired skills and hard learned safety lessons came together for a great day. It was a blast!

BTW: I cannot mention the above without also mentioning having gun safety and common sense hunting safety rules screamed, barked, and or otherwise scolded into me by ALL the adults at hunting camp. Like any teenager, I thought their piss and vinegar towards me, when I made a ,mistake was a little over the top, but today I know for a fact that over the years their influences kept me from shooting several times and possibly injuring others. Also important to note: The "10 second rule" saved my bacon while shooting Skeet one day years later. Yes, kaboom at 5. Harmlessly into the ground.)

Even now, writing for this thread while racking my brain trying to remember details from my youth, what keeps coming to mind rather vividly are all the safety lessons, rules, and of course assorted *ss chews from other adult hunters whenever I made the "slightest" mistake while at hunting camp.

· Mr.
210 Posts
I mean what's your record in rabbit or deer hunting. How many did you get?
Like 50 rabbits or 20 deer.
In a day?

LOL, if yer still counting, you ain't no hunter yet.

· Mr.
210 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I respect that.
But you are not supposed to play a gun-related sport when you're a kid.
Hunting is NOT playing. Killing stuff and eating stuff you've killed is NOT playing games.

Pin the tail on the donkey is a game.

· Registered
17,527 Posts
Thanks for sharing your stories folks!
You know, hunting is considered as dangerous outdoor sport. How come you guys did that at a such young age?
Dangerous? Maybe for the game. Would you consider running or bicycling a dangerous sport? try looking up the stats for both and see how many die from hunting each year and how many runners or bicyclists doe from heart attacks, being hit by cars or because of accidents on their own and get back to us with the results.

· Registered
367 Posts
Thanks for sharing your stories folks!
You know, hunting is considered as dangerous outdoor sport. How come you guys did that at a such young age?
(emphasis mine)

Because when younger I could climb trees like a monkey. In fact, I used-a-could amble up a Jack Pine tree a good 16 to 20 feet before needing the first branch. Let me elaborate on why this is important.

Up front, I disagree 100% with your premise. In totality, I've been hunting for well over 40 years and feel qualified to speak on behalf of hunting. BTW, what is your background with respect to this topic?

Moreover, as far as firearms, of the studies covering 15 or more years, which have been conducted by hospitals and or groups of specializing doctors (e.g., Orthopedic surgeon groups), one such study showed that between 1993 and 2008, there were a total of ~1.8 million "accidents" involving injuries from a firearms in America. Of these, there were approximately 36,000 accidents involving injuries from a firearm due to hunting, which means there are approximately 2,400 accidents each year in America involving injuries from a firearm due to hunting.

A separate study from, if I recall correctly, the great state of Indiana, showed that out of all the hunters' injuries recorded during the study, a shade over 55% did NOT involve firearms, but rather hunters falling from trees. Of these, over 91% were between the ages of 21 and 45.

So there you have it Johnny Zhang, hunting is actually safer when you're a young man.

"Good talk Rusty,"
PW

· Premium Member
9,928 Posts
Why do you think it’s a dangerous sport? Have you qualified this remark? Do some research and you’ll find that it is one of the safest outdoor activities. This is exactly why we are hesitant to get involved in these type of posts. Your saying it’s dangerous shows that you haven’t come here with an open mind and you’ve got pre-conceived and very wrong ideas. If you want the facts, try asking the right questions. Having a friendly baseball game is much more dangerous than hunting. Having a backyard swimming pool has taken more lives than guns do every year. Do your research.

· Registered
2,634 Posts
Been hunting since I was 14. Started off squirrel hunting, walking the 2 miles to the woods through two communities with my 16' over my shoulder (try that today). My mom made stew from the squirrels and rabbits. In my late teens I hunted in Maine with my brother, nice deer in Maine. Then came the war. After exiting the Air Force I went deer hunting with the business owner I worked for, it was the first time in the woods in long time. I had seen some turkeys and was sitting up against a pine hoping they would pass buy when the tree exploded above my head. I went to the ground and heard a kid shouting "I got him" over and over. I started yelling "I'm a person". The kid and his dad came over apologizing and asking if I needed medical attention, which I did not. Luckily the kid was a bad shot. It took me a long time after that to go back to the woods and I still won't hunt public land. That was the most danger I have faced, I don't consider bear encounters (1 in Maine and too many to count in Florida danger). I'm 71 now and I don't keep score, every game animal I've killed went to the table. Yes, I've killed some nice deer but all I have is a pile of antlers in the shed nothing on the wall and I don't feel bad about any of it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.