National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Aim true !
10,040 Posts
Been into it since i was a kid. My father hunts and always had guns. I started out with a bb gun at 8 years old. 1st firearm i got the day i took my hunter safety course. My dad picked me up, He had a new mossberg 20 ga in the back seat for me. We went dove hunting. And the rest went on from there. I still use that shotgun today.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been into it since i was a kid. My father hunts and always had guns. I started out with a bb gun at 8 years old. 1st firearm i got the day i took my hunter safety course. My dad picked me up, He had a new mossberg 20 ga in the back seat for me. We went dove hunting. And the rest went on from there. I still use that shotgun today.
Thank you for sharing!
I'd love to learn more from you. Do you have a social media account that I can follow?

·
Aim true !
10,040 Posts
I don't have a social media account. Other than the forums im on.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was in love with toy guns and later a BB gun back to as young as my memory goes. My Dad taught me to shoot a real gun, a Colt Official Police, at age 12. It was our home defense gun and he wanted to make sure I could handle it safely and wouldn't do anything stupid with it. He set up a wax bullet range in our basement and after some instruction on gun handling and safety, let me have at it. I grew up as a really good shot with a DA revolver, not Jerry Miculek good, but darn good. Strangely, I had issues with autos until I got some really good instruction in my mid 20's.

I lived vicariously through my Dad's gun collection my whole life, although unfortunately I did not inherit any of it. His will said it should all be sold off and proceeds divided. He had some really great guns. He easily had three dozen guns for use and then probably 50 Colt and Winchester commemoratives. My favorites of his shooting guns included:
  • Two Browning Model 5 shotguns, one engraved
  • A Remington Nylon 66
  • A BHP
  • A great 10 gauge double
  • A gorgeous Winchester 1892 Deluxe 25-20 with engraving and an octagonal barrel - that thing was a tack driver!
  • Winchester Model 70 in .300 Win Mag, with a variable scope - he took a moose in Canada with it.
Thanks for the chance to remember all that...

·
Registered
89 Posts
My father died when I was three and I was raised by a single-mom until I graduated high school and joined the Navy.

I had Roy Rogers cap guns around 1950. My allowance went to rolls of caps. A family friend taught me to shoot a single-action revolver with .22 short ammo around 1952. I bought a BB gun with the profit from my newspaper route around 1955. Family friends taught me to shoot a Winchester '94 .30-30 and took me deer hunting starting around 1956.

I bought my first gun when I was a junior in high school from the Sears Christmas catalog. It was a select grade Lee-Enfield British .303 surplus rifle. The gun, cleaning kit, some boxes of ammo, plus shipping came to just over $39. The mailman dropped it on our front porch.

I qualified with an M-1 Garand in 1963 in Navy Boot Camp. I was in Viet Nam in 1965/1966 on a boat manning an M-2 (Ma Deuce) 50 BMG with an M2 Carbine as a backup. Later, the M2 Carbine was replaced with an M-14.

I bought my first handgun in 1966 when I got back from Viet Nam. It was a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum.

·
Registered
969 Posts
My love affair with the gun? My grandfather and my uncle hunted and I always wanted to go hunting as a kid. So came the Thanksgiving weekend in 1958 when we made the trip from Brooklyn NY upstate NY to Liberty NY where my uncle's friend Charlie owned a nice cabin on some land. At 8 years old I wasn't allowed to hunt but Charlie gave me a .22 rifle to drag up and down the mountain. Then in the afternoons I was given a box of 22 LR and taught how to shoot that rifle. I just loved shooting and worked at it. Well all good things must come to an end and as my uncle backed grandpa's Lincoln to leave Charlie came out and waved to my uncle to stop. My uncle got out and he and Charlie chatted, the trunk opened and closed and we continued to leave. My uncle looked back at me and informed me Charlie gave me that rifle.

I saw Charlie about 30 years later at a 75th birthday party for my uncle. He asked me if I remembered that Thanksgiving? Remembered? Hell Charlie, I still have that rifle and today over 60 years later I still have it, A Remington 510P. Over the years many more rifles came along for assorted reasons but it was that single shot 22 that began my love affair with shooting and the gun.

Ron

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
I have been a big fan of guns before I can even remember. I never had my own until I was about 17 and wanted an 870 in the worst way. I ended up getting a Browning BPS 12 ga slug gun. Never did get that 870. I would pick up a gun or two a year if I saw a good deal or got interested in a new hunt or game. They just started to add up. Now I’m passing them to my only son.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Right after i first started shooting around age 10. Of course back then my dad paid for my addiction which was kept well in check. Once i was old enough to start working i fed my own addiction which was greatly helped being able to buy guns at cost through my dads gun shop.

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
It was when I heard too much talk of banning guns in California. I went out and bought my first gun.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I first shot a firearm at the age of 5. My dad and my uncle took us kids out shooting. I shot a 32 cal squirrel rifle from Turner Kirkland's Dixie Gunworks. I was hooked. My dad and uncle used to take us shooting every other weekend after that. They even taught us how to cast bullets. I was raking lawns for spending money because we were tight for money. But at the age of 10 I saw a 98 Mauser 8mm for sale for $10.00! I begged my dad to get it and I would pay for it. He finally said yes, but I had to get reloading dies for it. It hung above my bed for 1 year before I shot it. When I joined the Army at 17, I had 6 firearms. At 66, I am still collecting them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
my mother when i was a child was highly against firearms and any type of guns for that matter. but when i grew older i grew to love them because i couldnt have them as a child. so now my wife and i love to shoot as adults. my first firearm was an FNS 9 for home defense and its perfect. but thru the years ive boughten bb guns and nerf gun. lol When im around 40 ill probably have an arsenal, its my goal.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Got out of the service (Army 1991) string of bad choices and a hate of guns. An actual friend & Therapist at the time got me to a gun shop in Big O Florida (Okeechobee). Beretta P34 is what I ended up with Love at first Shooting. Well had some fun learned a great deal about that 34 Still Got it shoot it did a spring change few years ago. Now I had made bad choices ended up in out jail (misdemeanors). With wanting to buy more guns and reloading equipment I guess one could say Saved by the Gun. Now I am more into Old Military Surplus got a few moderns gifts and heirlooms. Now I do not have a need for an AR I have shot a few 556.223 and me do not JEAHHAW that is me do I feel you do not need one NO, Just not for me. You choose therefore you are responsible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts