National Gun Forum banner
81 - 87 of 87 Posts

· Registered
3,633 Posts
Before we get into the "On the 8th Day, God created the Marines...." thing please allow me to say:

Wharthog is pretty darn on track. I would say 90% of those who have posted do not know how they will behave under such a situation. What makes the Marines so good? Besides ego and attitude :lol: that is....THEY TRAIN! I will bet that over 80% of all gun owners do not train. They do not think through situations they are talking about. When was the last time you went to a strange office or to the mall and indexed all your escape routes? How often do you evaluate the locations of cover if things go bad on your left, or your right or from behind? Can you find the light switch in your house in the night? Hell, can you even find you gun when you are half asleep, it is dark, and you just smashed your toe into the bed frame? Where are your kids, where is your spouse?

I also have been under fire. Ask any vet who has been, at the end of it, they will all tell you they revert to their training and simply hope it is not their turn to have their ticket punched.

So before you talk about grabbing your Illudium Death Ray and vaporizing intruders, when was the last time you punched paper with it? Have you even tried shoot and scoot tactics? Can you fire from a crouch, around a corner, on you back?

OK, I'll stop. Just grumpy.

· super noob
2,037 Posts
Before we get into the "On the 8th Day, God created the Marines...." thing please allow me to say:

Wharthog is pretty darn on track. I would say 90% of those who have posted do not know how they will behave under such a situation. What makes the Marines so good? Besides ego and attitude :lol: that is....THEY TRAIN! I will bet that over 80% of all gun owners do not train. They do not think through situations they are talking about. When was the last time you went to a strange office or to the mall and indexed all your escape routes? How often do you evaluate the locations of cover if things go bad on your left, or your right or from behind? Can you find the light switch in your house in the night? Hell, can you even find you gun when you are half asleep, it is dark, and you just smashed your toe into the bed frame? Where are your kids, where is your spouse?

I also have been under fire. Ask any vet who has been, at the end of it, they will all tell you they revert to their training and simply hope it is not their turn to have their ticket punched.

So before you talk about grabbing your Illudium Death Ray and vaporizing intruders, when was the last time you punched paper with it? Have you even tried shoot and scoot tactics? Can you fire from a crouch, around a corner, on you back?

OK, I'll stop. Just grumpy.
Very good points. I honestly cant say I can shoot from all the positions you have listed because I havnt tried, I also dont have any place I can actualy shoot from those positions. The only position I can shoot from at the range is standing.

· Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Very good points that everyone should be mindful of DS.

· Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
One thing that makes me worry is that I am super aggressive when it comes to protecting my daughter....One night I heard the window break and I was almost to it before I was even awake making sure that nothing came near my infant (she was 16 at the time). Didn't grab a gun, knife, anything...just rushed to fight/confront what was coming in (turned out to be a tornado...my gun wouldn't have helped LOL)

Anyway...anyone else ever catch themselves doing this? I generally resort to my training in about every situation...but lose my head when it comes to her...have been trying to figure out a way realize it before I react so quickly. Its also one reason I started stashing a gun in the kitchen...at least when I wake up I will have a gun somewhere close by.

· Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Anyway...anyone else ever catch themselves doing this?
Yes. My brain is on autopilot for the first few seconds that I am awake. So, from talking to my wife, if something sounds odd in the middle of the night I revert to training, and am already in the hallway before I wake up.

Drill drill drill. Anyone that has ever been in surely remembers boot camp. You do close order drill until you don't have to think about it anymore. Then when you get to the fleet you train and train and train. While in the ville, operating for days and weeks at a time with little to no sleep, your brain shuts down, and you revert to your highest level of training.

It happens in civilian life too. So once again, drill drill drill.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.