National Gun Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

· Registered
3,633 Posts
Never, never keep your house as dark as a tomb. Leave nights in key locations. First, your eyes will be already adjusted to the tiny light allowing you to see. Second night lights keep you from stubbing your toes in the middle of the night while heading to the bathroom.

The home defense is much easier now that there is only the Mrs and me. No tots sleep walking (the dogs would herd her into our room when she did), no worries about anyone thumping around in the kitchen at 3AM. Now if I hear something, I reach over and grab a handful of my honey's butt so I know if she is there or not. She is the only one besides me in the house, so even with a sleep deprived brain, it is easy to figure out.

· Registered
237 Posts
I live in a 2 room house so what happens, happens fast. Until I decide to buy a shotgun or a .45 A few 124gr hollowpoint 9mm meet someone coming in I dont worry to much though because When I only had a 15 pound dog he scared someone breaking in off and gave me time to get up. now I still have him and something bigger. either way they buy me needed time and enough of a hassle to where I think someone would try somewhere easier.

· Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
always leave lights on such that any intruder is lit. keep yourself in the dark.
Ya know. I read this earlier, and after a beer or two with the boys I realized that I was doing this without even trying.

The snake cages are in the living room, during the day we use UV lamps for their heat, and at night they get belly heat with heat pads, and "dark" light (the red heat lamps). It lights up the living room and better than half the hall way pretty durn well.

Now, dogs, guns, and whatever aside. I would highly suggest a security system. Yeah I know that it will take forever for the cops to get there. But if you have one like mine, if you open a door without disarming it, you have twenty seconds to disarm. If you open a window or break one it triggers automatically, and tells you which one was tripped. That is a good heads up.

Plus, say someone gets the drop on you while you are walking in. You can enter a second code that gives the audio saying it is disarmed, but sends a quiet alarm directly to the LEO office. But that is only a small comfort if you are unable to regain control of the situation.

It does not matter if they cut the phone or not. It does not operate off the phone line. There is a cell receiver in the box with a 48 hour battery. If you break in and set the alarm, then rip the mount off the wall, all you did is make it so I can't cancel the call in.

All for 12 dollars a month.

Nothing is foolproof. But nothing will work that your common thug thinks up. If ya break in my house and dont back down someone is getting carried out in a body bag.

· Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts

CDP, I think you should just post a caution sign outside your property that you have snakes loose in the house and no one will ever break in.

I read an article years ago about some company in S. Africa (probably she9's family) that would put Black Mambas and Cobras loose in people's houses and put caution signs all around the house when they were gone and no one ever broke in to them. It became a problem once when they couldn't find a Mamba that had gotten into an air conditioning duct I guess....could you imagine coming home to find out they didn't get all the snakes out yet?

Anyway, when I read your last post, I immediately thought about how I am more cautious with snakes than I am dogs.

'The last thing the intruder saw as he broke into CDP's house'

· love the UK envy the US
785 Posts
i was going to say that i would camp on the top of the stairs with my shotgun pointing down the stairs,but we had a noise last night around 1-2 am and i grabbed my crowbar and went downstairs,false alarm dont know what it was but no BG ,the new dog isnt a barker yet but we will get another dog there is no better alarm than a good dog ,if someome breaks into my house i will use any means possible to ensure my families safety as for my possesions i work too damn hard and go without too many things to let some jerk take what i have.

· Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts

CDP, I think you should just post a caution sign outside your property that you have snakes loose in the house and no one will ever break in.

I read an article years ago about some company in S. Africa (probably she9's family) that would put Black Mambas and Cobras loose in people's houses and put caution signs all around the house when they were gone and no one ever broke in to them. It became a problem once when they couldn't find a Mamba that had gotten into an air conditioning duct I guess....could you imagine coming home to find out they didn't get all the snakes out yet?

Anyway, when I read your last post, I immediately thought about how I am more cautious with snakes than I am dogs.

'The last thing the intruder saw as he broke into CDP's house'

LOL. Next time I am your way I may have to bring one down for you to play with. They are still just babies.

· Registered
3,633 Posts
LOL. Next time I am your way I may have to bring one down for you to play with. They are still just babies.

If all snakes are like rattlers, it is the babies that are the most dangerous. Most of the big rattler bites in people are dry strikes. They don't want to waste the venom on you. The little ones don't know how to regulate their venom and pump a full dose when they hit someone.

· Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
If all snakes are like rattlers, it is the babies that are the most dangerous. Most of the big rattler bites in people are dry strikes. They don't want to waste the venom on you. The little ones don't know how to regulate their venom and pump a full dose when they hit someone.
Agreed. But lucky for me, my snakes are not venomous, like all boidae, they kill by constriction. The Boa may get large enough to kill a medium sized rabbit, or a cat. But the Ball will never get big enough to kill or eat anything larger than a big rat.

But people that are afraid, or leery of snakes don't care.

The boa did bite me one time. But that was my fault. It was feeding day, and she was in shed, so her eyecaps had glazed over, so she couldn't see to well, and I forgot to wash my hands after handling the rats. It really didn't hurt. Just don't jerk back, and carefully apply pressure on the sides of her jaw. If you jerk back you are likely to break a tooth or a dozen off in your skin. That tends to hurt some from what I hear.

· Gun Nut
1,599 Posts
Never, never keep your house as dark as a tomb. Leave nights in key locations. First, your eyes will be already adjusted to the tiny light allowing you to see. Second night lights keep you from stubbing your toes in the middle of the night while heading to the bathroom.
I agree with you on that. I live in a small 2 bedroom home. I keep night lights around. If someone came in at night My dogs would be the first to hear them before they even made it to the front door from the porch and would bark like hell. And by that time I would have my 45 or double barrel 12 gauge in my hands waiting near my bed. I would wait for them to come to me if they ignore the warning to leave.

If they came in during the day I know where I keep a few weapons loaded and ready and I can access one of them at any point in a matter of a few sec.

· super noob
2,037 Posts
Im stealing this from a comedian.........
If an intruder enters my home, I have a gun, if he has one to he dies, if he doesnt.......I have a gun, Im going to make him do stuff, my bathroom needs to be scrubbed down top to bottom. My floors need to be mopped and then he needs to beg me for his life and ask me to call the cops. After all Im not rich and carpet is exspensive to replace.

· Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
I agree with you on that. I live in a small 2 bedroom home. I keep night lights around. If someone came in at night My dogs would be the first to hear them before they even made it to the front door from the porch and would bark like hell. And by that time I would have my 45 or double barrel 12 gauge in my hands waiting near my bed. I would wait for them to come to me if they ignore the warning to leave.

If they came in during the day I know where I keep a few weapons loaded and ready and I can access one of them at any point in a matter of a few sec.
I also utilize the 'stash weapon' approach for daytime/early evening as well. I have a 4" King Cobra .357 in a Kitchen drawer and a SOG Tigershark combat knife in its sheath fixed under the coffee table. You?

· Registered
734 Posts
My bedroom is at the top of my stairs and I have a clear visual of the front door when my bedroom door is open. I have motion triggered spotlights on all 4 sides of my house and a Choclate Lab who can be very scary when she wants to.

If someone gets in my house I will be waiting at the top of my stairs with my 12ga., and I will not give a warning of any kind. As soon as they come into my sight picture, I will relieve them of their head privliges.

If the gun goes down for some reason, I have a battle axe purchased at a chrurch garage sale that would do some serious damage, as well as an 8 inch Ka-Bar.

Then I put the body out by the road, call the cops and go back to sleep.

· Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
and a Choclate Lab who can be very scary when she wants to.
Has anyone here seen a show called "It takes a Thief"?

Yes it is comical, and you can learn a few things from it. But the biggest learning point you can take away from it is how many people that own large dogs, and the large dog is barking and growling at the guy as he walks up to the screen door, then the BG opens it, and the big mean looking dog licks him as he walks in, and they run off into the yard to play.

An untrained dog (IE a dog that is not trained in personal, or home protection) is not likely to attack someone that breaks in, and while they are slightly more likely to attack someone attacking their masters, the dog mentality tells them that if someone is attacking the alpha they are to sit back and see what happens so they know who their new alpha is going to be. Depending on the dog, and their mentality, their instinct tells them that if the alpha is unable to defend himself against attack, then he should not be the alpha. Now a more dominate dog that constantly challenges the alpha for the top spot is more likely to join in defense of the alpha, not because he is trying to protect his alpha, but because it is yet another opportunity to take the alpha spot from the alpha.

Dogs are a great deterrent (some studies say that simply owning a large dog can lessen the chances of a home invasion by up to 80%), and a great alarm. But are not a good defense unless they have been trained to be a defense.

· Registered
3,633 Posts
Yes, there is a good deal of bravado concerning dogs out there. I have had some close calls with family problems, a messed up brother in law threatening my sister and her kids, and so on. And I acted accordingly in all circumstances. With that said, let there be no doubt, I am the alpha. I trained my dogs and they will do exactly what I tell them to do. It is their job to make enough noise to wake the dead. They are big loud enough to give most people pause. By once I am awake, it is my turn, and they are instructed to "go watch mommy", just as they were trained. If the BG gets lucky and makes it past me, I would imagine the sight of two large dogs and one friggin' huge dog standing in the bedroom doorway growling and showing their teeth will make someone think twice. If the dogs don't scare them off, then the image of Zelda Queen of Mars leveling the 12 gage at their head would, if they live.

Very few burglars know what a hush puppy is and even fewer would carry one.

· Registered
734 Posts
Has anyone here seen a show called "It takes a Thief"?

Yes it is comical, and you can learn a few things from it. But the biggest learning point you can take away from it is how many people that own large dogs, and the large dog is barking and growling at the guy as he walks up to the screen door, then the BG opens it, and the big mean looking dog licks him as he walks in, and they run off into the yard to play.

An untrained dog (IE a dog that is not trained in personal, or home protection) is not likely to attack someone that breaks in, and while they are slightly more likely to attack someone attacking their masters, the dog mentality tells them that if someone is attacking the alpha they are to sit back and see what happens so they know who their new alpha is going to be. Depending on the dog, and their mentality, their instinct tells them that if the alpha is unable to defend himself against attack, then he should not be the alpha. Now a more dominate dog that constantly challenges the alpha for the top spot is more likely to join in defense of the alpha, not because he is trying to protect his alpha, but because it is yet another opportunity to take the alpha spot from the alpha.

Dogs are a great deterrent (some studies say that simply owning a large dog can lessen the chances of a home invasion by up to 80%), and a great alarm. But are not a good defense unless they have been trained to be a defense.
Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of a deterrent/ alarm. My dog is a total wuss. She would just run and hide if someone broke in, but she would make one hell of a racket.

All of the meter readers and delivery men are scared to death of her. I like to keep it that way.

· Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Yes, there is a good deal of bravado concerning dogs out there. I have had some close calls with family problems, a messed up brother in law threatening my sister and her kids, and so on. And I acted accordingly in all circumstances. With that said, let there be no doubt, I am the alpha. I trained my dogs and they will do exactly what I tell them to do. It is their job to make enough noise to wake the dead. They are big loud enough to give most people pause. By once I am awake, it is my turn, and they are instructed to "go watch mommy", just as they were trained. If the BG gets lucky and makes it past me, I would imagine the sight of two large dogs and one friggin' huge dog standing in the bedroom doorway growling and showing their teeth will make someone think twice. If the dogs don't scare them off, then the image of Zelda Queen of Mars leveling the 12 gage at their head would, if they live.

Very few burglars know what a hush puppy is and even fewer would carry one.
Thats good. And I can't tell you what someone's dog will do cause I don't know them.

Both of ours have been trained. But one is a bit more submissive, so he isn't likely to do anything unless ordered to do something.

Now my big male is a different story.

Yesterday a friend of our neighbor was over helping him work on his truck and D.O.G was pacing back and forth at the end of our fence that borders the property watching the new guy. He walked up to the fence and asked me. "will he bite?"

My answer was simply. "Not unless I tell him to, or you try hurting one of us."

So the guy jumped the fence and started playing and roughhousing with him.

After about five minutes he jumped back over and laughed. "He is just a big puppy. I bet he wouldn't do anything at all even if you told him to."

I just smiled and went on about my yard work.

About a half hour later he was walking past the fence and D.O.G was watching him. Head down, body long, just staring at him. The guy, knowing a little bout dogs drops his head and shows his teeth.

The pup didn't move, noting. So the guy jumps forward. See, he expected him to do what most dogs do, and retreat to the alpha and see what the alpha is going to do. Well within a fraction of a second he had closed the fifteen feet to the fence and is standing on his hind legs leaning on the fence, staring nose to nose with the guy.

The guy wasn't challenging him anymore. He just didn't move cause he was afraid the dog would go over the fence after him eyes as wide as dinner plates.

It was pretty comical.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.