National Gun Forum banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

· Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Mike Barham said:
If you know there's an intruder in your house, why on God's green earth would you go looking for him? The intruder has practically every advantage at this point:

1. He's doing a hot burglary, so he's probably armed, keyed-up and full of adrenaline. You, on the other hand, just woke up.
2. His night vision is fully developed. You, on the other hand, just woke up.
3. He will hear you moving around and will stop moving while you bumble through the house in your pajamas. He will ambush you if he doesn't flee.
4. Once he takes you out of the fight, he will now have your gun plus his own weapons - all the better to wreak havoc on your family, who you have now left undefended, or at least on their own.

Call the cops and let them search the house. Stay put in your safe room and protect your family rather than trying to do a SWAT/fire team's job by yourself. There's no TV or stereo worth your life, is there?
Great plan if you do not worry about children being in their own room downstairs or at the other end of the house. I lived throught the Polly Klass abduction and killing when I lived in San Rafael in 1993. Richard Allen Davis was a murdering scum that had no remorse or second thoughts about the brutality of his actions. I realize he could have made it much worse had he stayed and hurt the other two girls or rest of family in the house. We were not far from where that took place and my good friends new the family well. As a matter of fact, I helped with the initial search. Once you experience this, you never consider a break in just a "burglary." If you make enough noise, the intruder will probably depart. If he does not, the police will not be near enough to protect the most important parts of your lives.

G

·
1. A "hot" burglary refers to one that takes place while people are home. True home invasions are comparatively rare, but of course they do happen. A fast-moving home invasion makes it even more likely that you will be outnumbered and taken by surprise, so there seems little sense in looking for a fight - it will come to you soon enough. In neither case do you want to go bumbling around looking for a fight when the intruder has most of the advantage.

2. If you read my post, I emphasize protecting your family. Nowhere did I say you shouldn't gather your family to protect them. I have a kid, too, and I sure don't want her in my line of fire at the other end of the house, nor at the mercy of whomever is in my house. But gathering the family to protect them isn't even remotely close to going looking for a bad guy (or guys) in your house when they have 90% of the tactical advantage. I thought it would go without saying - but apparently not - that if your children are in danger, you go to protect them no matter the cost.

3. Chest-beating internet posts aside, most untrained people who think they can "seek and destroy" an intruder (or group of intruders) by themselves in their pajamas with no significant backup in low light when they just woke up...well, they need to go try a realistic force on force class and see just how easily they will be taken out of the fight. I realize most people think a gun makes them invincible, but it simply isn't so.

G

·
wife calls 911
we ditch to the opposite side of the bed from the door to take cover and position
911 operator on speaker phone
we are both armed and aiming at door
bg starts breaking door we warn we have a gun(s) ( mstrbdrm is always locked at night)
he comes in--shots fired till clips are empty then big mess to clean up... god how do you clean all those brains out of the walls and carpet??/

G

·
At 0'darkthirty in the am you don't ask if it is a 17 year old kid and you don't worry about some POS DA. If they break in at that time of night they assume that there are occupants inside so they know that there is the real risk of an armed confrontation. They are evidently okay with the situation and you had damned well better be okay with what you have to do. I live in a small town and there are a few other small towns around, all the local PDs have a mutual aid agreement with each other and often respond to the next town for backup. The next town is 5 miles away, say 3 minutes travel time, Tick... Tick...Tick. Say the time it takes you to call the dispatcher and then for her to contact your PD say 2 -3 minutes. Say all in all it takes 5 minutes for help to arrive... Tick... Tick... Tick... And that is assuming that the officer is available, what if he has just picked up a person for DUI? He can't respond to your call for help, he is headed for the county jail. Tck... Tick... Tick... That means a county deputy is coming from as far away as 15 to 20 miles away. You had better hope he knows your town and can find you house easily because that 17 year old could do a lot of damage in that amount of time. If you have to answer the call you have to assume that there will be no help until well after the threat has been stopped or you are dead. I don't care what the state laws are, I will not let some 17 year old do something to my family because I was afraid to face a piece of chit lawyer . If he breaks into my house he is neither old or young, or black or white he is just dead ( hopefully).

· Knowledge Seeker
1,400 Posts
My glock is in holster on side my bed, my 2 million candlepower rechargeable spotlight beside my bed & i'm a light sleeper. You may think everyone wakes with a brain full of fluff & blind as a bat but you'd be wrong. My bedroom is upstairs & the stairway is narrow with walls on both sides. So i'd be waiting on top of the stairs. I see fine in the dark, so as soon as i see them at the bottom of the stairway, I'd light them up, then light'em up. If sumone is breaking in my house at night, i assume they are here to do harm. You can argue its just property, not worth ending a life over. You'd be wrong. My money is earned with blood, sweat & pain. By taking my property they are taking the part of my life i worked to EARN the money to buy it. All because they are too lazy to EARN it themself. :mad5:

· The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I have three dogs. Noone is going to surprise me. I would grab my 45 and light and put on my muffs and turn them all the way up so I can hear better than him. Then I will go get my son paying attention to what the dogs are doing. My wife will be on the cell to the cops by now and have her 9 on her. She can watch my son then while I go defend my castle. I don't care what age the ******* is if he is a threat to me or my family he won't be getting any older.

· Registered
3,633 Posts
O Dark thirty. Someone breaking in....I guess I will have to get up and clean the floor after the BG was eaten by my dogs.

In reality, the dogs are the best line of defense. Many a time there is a noise in the middle of the of the night. If the dogs ignore it, so do I. If the jump up barking and making enough noise to wake the dead, then I get serious.

· The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
^^^ yep same here. Dogs are great

· Registered
918 Posts
Make big holes in him, then
go back to bed.

· Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
In extreme situations and children are involved - HUNT THE MFer DOWN and see that he never bothers another child on God's green earth!
+1

I guess it all depends on what you are comfortable with as far as how you would react. I've hunted down many a BG in the dark, so I wouldn't hesitate to confront him...in fact, I am very aggressive about it.

Home invasions are increasing and will continue to do so I am afraid...and for all you D.A. bashers (I know what you mean) out there, we know they are as well. We also know that if someone breaks into our house with bad intentions, they are going to die...alot. Our personal opinions aren't lost on civilians...we wouldn't blame them and often after seeing the devastation caused by a violent rampage by some thug, we comment 'too bad the vicitim didn't have a gun and shoot the m*therf*ck*r that did this'.

The problems with D.A.'s are always politics....where do you live and what is your D.A. like:
If he is a 'normal' guy that lives in a 'normal neighborhood' he is probably going to defend you and prosecute the bad guy if he lives.

If he is a Democrat lib and lives in an elite neighborhood and has never personally witnessed a violent action, he may cause you some trouble because he is so out of touch.

One thing to remember though, 95% of all cops will be on your side...because you did exactly what they would have done.

G

·
All I have to say is that its better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. I'm sorry, but a person does not come into my home by accident. I use my mossberg with the tac light, or my 1911 and surefire. In either case, I'd identify the intruder as adult or child. Although, I can say that seeing a child in my home (other than our daughter) would be more un-nerving than an adult. I'd be even more suspicious and paranoid then.

In any case, if its an adult (size) then, well, you can figure it out. The only warning that I give an intruder is the closed door that they came through uninvited. If thats not enough, then removal from the gene pool is the added bonus.

· Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
What we say here, and how we react in real life is all to often polar opposites. But that is not always the case.

If he is in my home, my alarm is already going off. If I do not hear my dogs turning him into a screaming chew toy then I have to assume that he either did away with them, they lapsed in their training and ran off (that is highly unlikely), or it is our room mate and she forgot to shut off the alarm when she went out to smoke.

If it wasn't my room mate then he is obviously there for more than my things (not that it matters, NC has the Castle Doctrine), wife calls cops on cell. I move into the hallway and create a barricade between the main room and the kids' room while she gets them back to our room. Assuming he came in through one of the doors. Both of us have easy access to our pistols so that is was a given.

Simple. "Manda, Cannon?" No answer, then it isn't them.

Yes many people are groggy when they are roused from bed. But the fact of the matter is this. Your eyes are already adjusted to the low light. How fast you are able to key up depends on you. And if you are in fear for your family's life it tends to happen pretty quickly.

· Registered
9,383 Posts
Dogs are the first notice of encroachment, we are ready as soon as they start to bark. It's light enough to see here because of the security light in the yard.

Calling 911 is what is done once the threat is no longer a threat. We live 20 miles from the nearest law enforcement agency, not going to waste the time.

· Curmudgeon
4,379 Posts
I don't buy that the BG has any advantage over the homeowner. You live there, you know all the little noises the house makes, you have been asleep so your night vision is perfect, you have just received a jolt of adrenaline so you are as awake as you can ever be.

There are all sorts of reasons why we do what we do. Some may sit on the floor with their back to the wall and wait the goblin out. You have your reasons. I believe that any man who enters my home in the dark with the cars in the driveway is there to do harm, and not just for a TV, so I have reasons to make him go away. He will not go away without some encouragement. There is no reason to believe he is alone either.

Our plan is that wife and son stay put, while daddy makes sure that we are all imagining things. If goblin is discovered, follow laws of legal use of deadly force and Wa. castle doctrine. If daddy fails, wife and son are armed with backs to walls. The last thing to do is call LE, but only if there is a body in the house or blood on the lawn.

· Premium Member
641 Posts
Pull the sheets over my head and hope the BG doesn't find me... LOL

Really, I will do what ever is necessary to protect my family. I am not worried about possessions and valuables, they can be replaced. Family can not..

21 - 40 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.