National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite is the Remington Varminter with heavy barrel in 6mm. I bought this gun back in the seventies and it is a shooter. It was among the first of the transition from the 244 to the 6mm so I have the faster twist. I'm shooting Winchester 75 gr HPs using 47.0 grs IMR 4350. The chronograph says it come out at just under 3750'ps. The gun shoots this load 3/4" group at 100 yds +. It also groups this same load at 1.25" at 300 yds.

So what's your favorite varmint getter?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have 2 actually. One is my Ruger M77 MKII stainless target in .223. 26 inch haevy barrel. I have 3 shot groups as tight as 1/2 inch at 100 yards. My other is an AR-15 that I built. 20 In. heavy barrel. very capable of 1 inch at 100 yards. I usually use Varget powder when loading for them. 55 or 62 GN V-MAX bullets 2800-3000 FPS.

G

·
well, my remington model 700 a-bolt .243 of course. zeroed in at 100 yards with a quarter spread. damn they never saw it coming

·
Banned
1,456 Posts

My Remington 700 Heavy Barrel Varmint in .25-06. Bill T.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
billt said:

My Remington 700 Heavy Barrel Varmint in .25-06. Bill T.

Now did you do that tossing that quarter up in the air and shooting it while in motion or at 500+ yards? ;)

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
100 yards with an orange "Targ-Dot" covering the quarter. Bill T.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I can't seperate these two for varmint.

AR15 heavy set up for varmint and a Remington 700 in .243.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have a Browning a-bolt with a Shilen 24 in. #5 contour barrel.
The rifle will shoot Fed.110 gr. Accubond 25-06 three shot groups
smaller than a dime at 100 yds. I installed a Timney light pull
trigger spring that I customized down to 26 oz pull.
Leupold 4.5-14 30mil vx3 scope with boone and crocket
reticle. I guess this could be considered a varmint rifle.

I am trying to attach a pdf file of a three shot group
but can't figure out how to attach it to this post.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I am trying to attach a pdf file of a three shot group
but can't figure out how to attach it to this post.
First off, welcome to the forum. Your best bet is to put your photos up on Photobucket OR a similar hosting site and then just use their url/image. That said, please DON'T hang .PDF files on your posts; they're a PIA to open separately. THX.

That Browning sounds like one hell of a varmint rifle. Did it come with the Shielen or did you install that yourself?

·
Registered
677 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Jay,
Considering that 90% of the accuracy comes from the shooter - and considering the size of your 5 shot group - I'd have to say that YOU and your AR are one hell of a combo. Welcome home, brother.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
+1 To what 32Mag said, Mr. Jay -- Sweeet shootin'!

My favorite varmint rifles are the two I've been using the past few yrs. My older one is an old (mid 70s) Husqvarna in .243 . Against all odds and in the face of reality, with a plain walnut stock, not glass bedded and really a very light barrel, she does <1" at 200 yds. I love it! That's the rifle with which I got my longest successful shot at a coyote, ever -- 530 yds. (75 gr. VMax bullet). Don't believe it? I don't blame you!

My newer 'yote gitter is a Weatherby Vanguard (same as a Howa 1500). Originally .22-250, I had her re-throated to .22-250 Ackley Imp (40°). In this sport/hobby, I try to be really careful with superlatives on either end of the spectrum (“that’s the best”, “this is the worst POS”, etc.). So all I’ll say is that for me, personally, I’ve never seen a .22 caliber centerfire rifle with the power and accuracy that that rifle has shown. The rifle shoots like a laser – the A.I. has such a flat trajectory and such speed that if I miss, there is no way I can ever blame the rifle. All I have done to it is the re-chambering, when my smith also did an 11° crown, and I installed a Timney trigger (the cheaper one, not the $200.00 number).

I’ve had a ball developing loads for the Weatherby, everything from 40 to 89 grain bullets. The best coyote medicine I have is the 60 gr. Nosler Partition in front of 42.0 gr of H414 with a CCI Mag primer. Killer. For prairie dawgs I like the 40 gr. V-Max with either 40.5 gr. of Varget or 44.0 gr. of H380, CCI Mag primers. I’ve been using Remington cases but I haven’t seen any difference with Winchester brass, for that matter. Either way, brass only last about three loads with that high-pressure beast. One thing I found that really brings down my sigma (?) is the Lee factory crimp die, used in place of the regular seater crimp. It’s been giving me ? = 3.0 to 5.3 in almost all of my long range loads. Not bad for a $10.00 tool! The regular dies are a set of custom RCBS that I picked up on eBay a few years ago. I also have a set of Lees, but they're not as smooth.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, gents. It's a bit easier to do neat things when you have good tools. ;)

G

·
i use a remington 700 SPS varmint .223 with the ultimate sniper stock, schonfeild 6-18x50 scope and at 100yds im .5 moa

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
One of my Mauser 98's rebarreled to 243, sythetic stock, bedded and a bunch of work done to the reciever, Timney trigger and so on. Prints anoput a half inch at 100 yards if I do what I'm supposed to do. Plays heck on the prarie dogs and coyotes.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Thanks for helping me with the photo info. I am pretty new to computers
and kinda know what you are talking about as far as photo bucket. My
wife is better at using that site as far as posting photos.
The browning a-bolt was purchased new as a 30-06 when stainless
a-bolts first became available, (early 80s)?
I was never satisfied with the accuracy of the rifle (3 inch at 100 yd.)
so I just put it away for a few years.
I decided one day to send the rifle to
Shilen and have it re-barreled
and have the chamber cut to match specs.
They did a wonderful job routed the stock to float the barrel cut the
chamber to minimal headspace for the caliber and lapped the bolt.
I did the trigger spring work and installed the scope. I feel that
the accu-bond has very good accuracy potential and Federal
loadings are very consistant. Now I have a varmit-medium game
rifle. The 25-06 is a little heavy for varmits but resists wind drift very well.
Most serious varmit hunters have a heavy bullet windy day rifle usually .243
Mine is just a tad heavy but works good out to about 400.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Jay,

Nice gun and nicer group! A Bushmaster Stainless Varminter is on my "to buy" list in the not too distant future. Are you happy thus far with the Swift scope? Bill T.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts