National Gun Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
question............

when synthetic motor oil is mentioned for firearms, almost universally the answer is Mobile One.

I do not read about Amsoil, Vavoline synthetic, STP synthetic, or other full synthetics in use for firearms........

something special about Mobil and its chemical additives?.....something harmful with the other brands with their different additives?

or is Mobil One simply the most popular of synthetic motor oils?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I believe, since it was the first, that it is brand name recognition, like Kleenex or Clorox instead of facial tissue or bleach; JMO

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Watch from 1:03 trough 1:16
:LoL:

·
Registered
662 Posts
question............

when synthetic motor oil is mentioned for firearms, almost universally the answer is Mobile One.

I do not read about Amsoil, Vavoline synthetic, STP synthetic, or other full synthetics in use for firearms........

something special about Mobil and its chemical additives?.....something harmful with the other brands with their different additives?

or is Mobil One simply the most popular of synthetic motor oils?
Don't overthink it, it's simply the most popular, least expensive, and easiest to get.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
tend to think about such especially on the additives.

i remember a bad spell of Smith revolvers having their barrels break off some years back and a large pat of it was attributed to some particular chlorine base compound that was used in their cleaning and lube at the factory during assembly. Who would have thought?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts