National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you folks load in your carry guns? I like Federal Hydrashocks.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Anything I have, a hole in the chest is a hole in the chest.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I have Winchester silvertips in my Kel-tec and 45 acp.

I have some old Federal Nyclads in my S&W model 38. They were the hot ticket for snubs back 10+ years ago.

My cabinet is full of boxes and boxes of defensive ammo from all mfg. Hydra shoks, golden sabre, cor-bon, Black Talon and much much more.

Each year someone comes up with something new like the Hornady TAP or PowerBall, hard to keep up with the changes. If you use what the police use in your area you will be well served.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Mostly hand rolled, but sometimes Black Talon in the .40S&W, Hydra Shock or Win Silvertip in the .38 Spl, or BHA 185 JHP in the .45 ACP.

Kind'a depends on my mood and medication level.

·
Registered
283 Posts
147 gr Wallyworld Winchester White Box 9mm JHP.

Same brand, 230gr for .45acp.

Ditto 180gr for .40 S&W.

Why spend your nest egg on exotic whiz bang lead particles??

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Corbon DPX.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Federal HST

147 gr +P in the 9mm

230 gr +P in the .45

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
SD Ammo

In the pieces that I rely upon to protect my life as well as the life of others, I have rather extensively, over a bunch of years determined the loads that work best and are most reliable for and in the guns that I choose to carry. Anybody who says they use the cheapest stuff they can find, to save money, doesn't place much value on their own life, IMO. This is what I have found works best in the pieces that I routinely carry, every piece is a bit different, you should determine what works best in YOUR chosen SD firearm:
a Steyr M-40 .40 S&W - Fiocci 140 gr. JHP - screamers (1320 fps)
a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 SPL - Triton Quick-Shok 240 gr. - also screamers (1050 fps)
a Charter Arms Police Bulldog Undercover 6 shot .38SPL - Federal hydrashock 110 gr
a Kel-Tec P3AT - summer: MagSafe 65 gr. Defenders; winter: Fiocci 95 gr. FMJ

Ocassionally:
Taurus M450Ti .45 Colt - 220 gr Winchester Silver tips or Hornady 255 gr XTP

Seldomly:
EAA Witness in .45 ACP - CorBon "Flying Ashtrays" 200 gr. JHP (~1000 fps) , this is mostly my Home Defense/Night stand drawer combo.
A NOTE on AMMO choices:
Fiocci ammo is generally loaded right at the upper end of the SAAMI scales for most of the SD type ammo with correspondingly high muzzle velocities - and with a nicely rounded ogive - it all feeds reliably - and the price is somewhat lower - AND - it opens up nicely.
I think Fiocci ammo is grossly underrated!!! Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
When I ask for it I ask for Winchester Silver tip or Speers Gold Dot. So far these have worked without any issues in my pistols. :thumbsup:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
In the pieces that I rely upon to protect my life as well as the life of others, I have rather extensively, over a bunch of years determined the loads that work best and are most reliable for and in the guns that I choose to carry. Anybody who says they use the cheapest stuff they can find, to save money, doesn't place much value on their own life, IMO. This is what I have found works best in the pieces that I routinely carry, every piece is a bit different, you should determine what works best in YOUR chosen SD firearm:
a Steyr M-40 .40 S&W - Fiocci 140 gr. JHP - screamers (1320 fps)
a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 SPL - Triton Quick-Shok 240 gr. - also screamers (1050 fps)
a Charter Arms Police Bulldog Undercover 6 shot .38SPL - Federal hydrashock 110 gr
a Kel-Tec P3AT - summer: MagSafe 65 gr. Defenders; winter: Fiocci 95 gr. FMJ

Ocassionally:
Taurus M450Ti .45 Colt - 220 gr Winchester Silver tips or Hornady 255 gr XTP

Seldomly:
EAA Witness in .45 ACP - CorBon "Flying Ashtrays" 200 gr. JHP (~1000 fps) , this is mostly my Home Defense/Night stand drawer combo.
A NOTE on AMMO choices:
Fiocci ammo is generally loaded right at the upper end of the SAAMI scales for most of the SD type ammo with correspondingly high muzzle velocities - and with a nicely rounded ogive - it all feeds reliably - and the price is somewhat lower - AND - it opens up nicely.
I think Fiocci ammo is grossly underrated!!! Just my humble opinion.

I have been pleasantly surprised by Fiocci ammo also. Its hot and its accurate. I don't see it around here much but its nice.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
carry rounds

I'm limited by law NJ to use bullets that are not designed to expand upon impact. FMJ's, and all purpose lead bullets are the excepted norm in this unfair, unfortunate situation. For home defense I can use hollow points/expanding bullests , but not for carrying. It's a glitch in the law and I don't want to be the first test case.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I'm limited by law NJ to use bullets that are not designed to expand upon impact. FMJ's, and all purpose lead bullets are the excepted norm in this unfair, unfortunate situation. For home defense I can use hollow points/expanding bullests , but not for carrying. It's a glitch in the law and I don't want to be the first test case.
Coach, were you allowed to carry HPs when you were an active police officer, or did they tie your hands then, also?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
HP's okay for active NJ Police Officers

Gunrnr, Yes as an active police officer there are no restrictions on what type of ammo can be carried. When legislation was created allowing retired police to carry, no one thought about including them in the exemptions for hollow points (which are illegal under state law) as active police and military are written into the exemption. Many of us are obviously disappointed, but the feeling in the air is that no politician wants to go out on a limb and do anything involving putting their names on pro gun or pro ammo legislation of any kind and draw attention to him/her self. No one wants to wake up a sleeping monster with Corzine in charge because he's capable of anything. Unfortunately it will probably take an incident involving an injury to an innocent person that resulted from over penetration of a solid projectile. Only at that point is somebody likely to step up and say we've got to change this for obvious safety reasons. As of now most retired guys like myself consider ourselves lucky to have carry rights as retired officers and are willing to just deal with situation without making any noise. What a joke! When I cross to a neighboring state I can reload to a more appropriate self defense load if I want, but here in NJ it's no hollow points for now for retired cops. a lot of guys carry the HP's anyway and don't care. Chances are no one will bother them, but the concern is if you get in a shooting a prosecutor could (and in many counties probably would) use it against you as a technicality that could land youi in jail. the other concern is that you're dead if meat if it's used against you in a civil suit.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Winchester White Box 230 Gr. JHP

1 - 20 of 24 Posts