National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I’m old-fashioned and somewhat of a purist, but when I was looking for a 9mm, it seemed that for every gun that I looked at 5 were polymers. It seems that manufacturers are moving towards plastic and away from steel, and I can’t figure out why? I have noticed that there are many polymer fans, and it seems that the Glock and XD people are plentiful, and almost fanatical about their choice - no offence intended!

Is it just the natural progression like so many things these days, plastic is becoming the medium of choice? As with all things, are handguns also moving into a more futuristic design? Or is there some definite advantage to using polymer? It would seem that being plastic – no matter the strength – there are inherent weaknesses as opposed to a gun made of steel, and what of durability?

I’m trying so hard to warm up to these handguns, but I just haven’t found a reason to think that they’re a better option than cold hard steel……..

All you polymer fans wanna educate me?

G

·
Polymers are lightweight compared to steel frame, I am a steel guy but that gun gets heavy after lugging it around all day. I dont care for the all polymer guns I.E. glocks and xds (no offence), I like the 1/2 and1/2s half poly and half steel. like the Rugers and the Kahrs, or even the keltecs.

G

·
Polymer is lighter, easier and less expensive to manufacture, can be made into any shape imaginable, and is just as durable as steel when used properly.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Polymer is lighter, easier and less expensive to manufacture, can be made into any shape imaginable, and is just as durable as steel when used properly.
That about sums it all up! Also modern designs don't have much - if any - more recoil than all-steel pistols.

G

·
My G30 is a flawless shooter for ove 2000 rounds.

I can recommend it without reservation to anyone who wants a piece of "tupperware" for a CCW.

Or whoever just wants a great gun to defend themselves with.

G30
'Nuff Said.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Mike Barham said:
What Mike said. There was a video floating around awhile back where they put an XD on a BBQ and tested how it handled heat. They pulled it off and it shot just fine with the exception of some cosmetic damage to the exterior of the frame. As said, polymers can be just strong as steel when used properly.

SheNine- Once you get a Glock or XD you will understand the obsession with polymer guns. I was always a hardcore 1911 guy until I sucked it up and bought a polymer gun; I've been a fan ever since.

-Derek

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to be honest. I'm not too crazy about the Glock styling, but I do like the H&K USP and the FNP-40. If I were to buy a polymer, it would be one of those........

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you're not sure you like polymer guns at all, you probably shouldn't start with a Glock. They're not for everyone. Can't go wrong with an USP though. I have rarely, well never, seen somebody who didn't like his/hers.

G

·
SheNine said:
I have to be honest. I'm not too crazy about the Glock styling, but I do like the H&K USP and the FNP-40. If I were to buy a polymer, it would be one of those........

I strongly recommend test firing several different brands and models at a rental range before you make your decision. Better yet go to an IDPA or USPSA match. Most people I know would be willing to let you try out their pistols. I love the 1911, but I'm a huge fan of the SA XDs.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
slugger6 said:
SheNine said:

I strongly recommend test firing several different brands and models at a rental range before you make your decision. Better yet go to an IDPA or USPSA match. Most people I know would be willing to let you try out their pistols. I love the 1911, but I'm a huge fan of the SA XDs.
+1 - I test fired a number of brands and models. Was really looking for a 1911 but the XD 45 shot so well that I bought one. No problem with the others it just felt right and it has been a consistant and esy weapon to fire.

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
Baldy said:
Dang Ship you just had to jump in there with them beauty's didn't ya. They are real nice but when are you going to hard chrome the slide on the KT-.32? :lol:

Hahaha, I might 1 day - When I bought it, I was searching for one that was prehard chromed - but at the time, the company had a shortage of them. Since I bought mine, I have seen them at later gun shows.

Guess I just needs send it off and have it done :p :p

G

·
Entreri said:
Can't go wrong with an USP though. I have rarely, well never, seen somebody who didn't like his/hers.
Here's one. I find the USP an entirely unimpressive pistol. It's reliable, but the bore axis is very high, the trigger grungy, and the mag release "different" for no good reason. A Border Patrol agent offered me one for $300 last year. I passed on it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts