National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, what gun should I try to collect sooner than others due to the fact that they may disappear from the general market soon?

I'm going to a gun show soon, and I wont to keep an eye out, I made a 'shopping list' of priorities to watch for, which ones should I watch for more than others?

Winchester model 1897
Pattern 17 or 14
Gewehr 98
K98K
Lee Enfield No. 1 MK III
Lee Enfield No. 4 MK 2
Model 1903-A3
No. 5 or MK 1 Jungle carbine
beat to the underworld and back 1903
and the 30-40 Krag.

-Yours untill winters end, Comrade Thadd

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
of that list i would say the Krag....one that has not been customized.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,143 Posts
The AR-15 and AK-47.

Reactions: Jordan9MM

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,143 Posts
The AR platform is over 60 years old and the AK-47 is 73 years old. Just saying.

Reactions: Northtidesix

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes! seen I've seen the Vektor, vary handsome weapon.

Ok ok @Mad Scientist, you got me, I'll try and phrase this differently. Uhh, guns that: are no longer production, have wood from trees and actual steel that's not melted down from break drums or car bodies, with lot's of breakable little parts that you can't ever buy again, usually cant find ammo and usually needs to be torn down and have special cleaning after 3 shots, and has a barrel longer that 14". I don't think an AR can match that.

·
Registered
14,029 Posts
I think it would be impossible to pick just one from your list BUT if you are intending to shoot it and want a nice reliable, accurate and smooth gun i would go with a K-98, Krag or 03 Springfield. Most of the time ammo can easily be bought, it's easy to reload and unlike many enfields(or some others) you won't have to worry about screwing up the brass or having head space issues.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Almost, but I don't that the tommy gun should count, yes they still build new ones, but they also build new STG 44s, so would you say STG 44s are still technically in production?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Best bet is find out which gun stores in your area get decent turnover of milsurp guns and visit them regularly. Pretty much all milsurp rifles are drying up here in Arizona at the moment. The really nice guns have nowhere to go but up in value and you’re more likely to get a reasonable price from a brick and mortar dealer than at any gun show. About six months ago, I picked up a nice, high number 1903 at my local dealer for less than $700.

I’ve been collecting old milsurp rifles for years and not one has lost any value. Got a nice Japanese Type 2 paratroopers rifle at the same dealer I got the 1903 at-a year ago I paid $1,000 for it. For a similar condition rifle today, they’re selling on GB for over $2,200 if they’re even available. Don’t just buy the first one you see, either. Collecting milsurp rifles rewards the collector who is willing to take time and do the work,

A few years ago, I bought a decent M1892 M16 Berthier carbine locally. The price was $450 for the gun with correct sling, bayonet and about 15 of the five round clips. The gun by itself was worth at least $450. Low ball estimate on the value of the bayonet and clips without the gun would be at least $300.

The point of what I’m saying is that you need to do your homework so that you can determine the actual value of the gun in its condition. Also, don’t fall into the trap of being fixated on getting a specific gun. Another plus of buying from a local dealer is that on the more expensive guns, you can often do layaway. As a collector with a modest budget, it has worked very well for me.

·
Registered
14,029 Posts
Another nice rifle that has been going up in demand and is a real nice shooter is a K31 Swiss in 7.5x55. Ammo is harder and pricier to find but again they are real nice accurate rifles with a smooth action. If you ever want to buy one never buy one that does not have a magazine!!!! They are super expensive and they didn't mass produce them so soldiers had extras, they were mean tot have one and load with stripper clips. I think the cheapest i have ever seen one for sale was over $125 and that wasn't recently. I lucked out about 4-5 years ago and found one for around $400 that came with a set of Hornady dies and 100 factory fresh brass.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@AZ Al wow 51K? you're a high roller! I could really only do something 500 or below, I have to pinch pennies. I'm young and only just being able to truly experience the world of milsurp in person, I've been watching videos and and studying antique firearms almost all my life, and planning what guns I'll buy, how I'll build my collection, etc. and now that I actually can, all the guns I've dreamed of are disappearing and and/or shooting up in price, I look back at old 1960s Pawn store posters with "K98K! 150 bucks!" and "M1903s! 220 bucks!" almost makes me cry, but, I'm already doing most of the things you've said, I check my local gun store as often as I can, I try not to get tunnel vision on one kind of gun, (That's why I have an M91/30 now) and I try to research everything I can about a gun before I go looking for one. I'm definitely not picky when it comes to quality I'll take the saddest, most rusty, rotten, only a mother could love antique guns. Maybe that's a weakness?

P.S. all my dreams are now crushed because the gun show has been canceled making this conversation completely pointless :( I guess I won't have another chance if Uncle Joe gets in, this was the once a year biggest gun show in the area.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
12,877 Posts

·
Registered
14,029 Posts
Oh good, I was worried about his life choices, anyway that's still more than I could afford.
In most cases they do nothing but go up in value. Some more than others even with new finds being imported from time to time. At the moment there is a huge find of milsurps out of Africa being sold and the prices i have seen are pretty steep. Most are unseen and obscure models/variations that rarely showed up prior. Some people are still butchering/sporterizing some like Mosins which also drives up prices. The days of buying milsurp rifles at hardware stores out of barrels for $25 are over but in 20-30 years people will be saying the days of buying milsurps for $500-1000 are over....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Believe that's a typo and he meant to say 1K not 51K
Doesn't make sense for a 51K firearm to now be selling for 2,200
Yep, typo. A few years back I got a decent M1 Garand locally for under $800. Dealer said he got it from a guy and it was a safe queen. The gun still had the hardware store price sticker on it, confirming the dealer’s story. Stock looks rough but it shoots fine.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I mean ones that are next likely to disappear, but are still out there in fair numbers right now.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts