National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
handgun-Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine

otherwise, the Army guys at Ft Carson let me fire a 155mm, that was loud as Hell...

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Critch said:

otherwise, the Army guys at Ft Carson let me fire a 155mm, that was loud as Hell...
Pulled the lanyard once - a hell of a noise from the 155mm.... what did you say??? :lol: My ears were ringing for the rest of the day!

Otherwise, the Ma Duece was about as loud when letting loose a full box as anything I have ever fired.

·
Banned
818 Posts
Well, I'm completely deaf in one ear and partially in the other due to a shotgun being fired next to me ear when I was a little kid. Muzzle reports don't seem to register to me much more other than just a thump to my chest and that's with the big bores I have shot (aka. .50 BMG and 25mm). However, there's one gun in particular that was a true ear ringer to me. This was back when I was very much into blackpowder revolvers. I had an 1858 Army model with a 12" bbl and my friend had an 1851 Navy model with like a 6" bbl I think it was. My gun came with a 30 grain spout for my flask and my friend's came with a 24 grain spout. We then once switched spouts and WOW!!! His gun was a real ear ringer with them 30 grain charges.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Army issue M-14 and my 12ga Mossberg 500.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Baldy said:
I would say a .44mag Blackhawk loaded for bear. My ears rang for a week after that. :)
I think that's the loudest gun I ever shot, too, Baldy. Except mine only had factory ammo in it. I never did really enjoy shooting that pistol, & ended up selling it. Now, 20 or so years later, I kinda' have the mind to get another one! :---

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I think that my 450 marlin is a pretty nasty little bear killer! Its loud and kicks like a mule!

Probably a nice gun to have in the bush in Alaska.

·
Banned
818 Posts
leeindy said:
the m14s were loud as hell if you didnt have a muzzle brake on them

Really? From my experience it seems that muzzle brakes actually increase the sound of the muzzle report. :?:

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
the loudest

50 BMG bolt gun

338 Laupua

44 Mag loaded with bear rounds.

G

·
Does an RPG count?
A long time ago and far far away I got to mess with a bunch of captured soviet stuff.
The RPG was the loudest thing i (n)ever heard.
'Pullled the trigger and instantly my ears rang. They rang for near to a week after that and really havent been right since.

BTW, I hit what I was shootin' at!

Semper Fi,

Bob

G

·
Critch said:
Yep, me too. Other than that the AMT .22 mag pistol and my Browning BAR .280 with muzzle break.............. LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :--- :---

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
It is critical to always wear ear protection when shooting! If you don't you will experience high frequency hearing loss that all of us older shooters suffer from to some extent.

The electronic muffs are a cheap alternative today to the cost of hearing aids down the road! :cry:

My hearing is fine but I do have a minor amount of high frequency loss in one ear. No hearing aids yet!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts