National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll soon be in the market for a used gun. Used because the one I want is a S&W.

My questionm, in a more general way, is what's the best way to buy used guns? On forums like this and have them shipped to an FFL, at a gun show, at gun stores, etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
find what you want and then figure out how to get it. if youre gonna buy over the net make sure you know what your getting and if its not in working condition when you get it make sure the guy will take it back. dont get scammed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Run a wanted ad in craigslist.
Pawn shops
Gun show parking lots
Put the word out to friends and acquaintances
Local firearms retailers
Yard sales - if you like them and go to them anyway - firearms won't be on display, you need to ask
Read your small town local newspapers.

Doug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never did this, someone on a other forum said he did. When they have a gun buy back, go down the line and see what they got and might get it cheap.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
walter in florida said:
I never did this, someone on a other forum said he did. When they have a gun buy back, go down the line and see what they got and might get it cheap.
Probably not the best way. Usually the BS Buybacks are supported by some lib politician who is going to try to show how he's "protecting the public" from evil guns, so often times the guns that are bought back are destroyed in some feel-good ceremony, so said politician can get the adulation of the adoring masses.

Then there's the reality: The guns that are bought back are generally GARBAGE. There have been many buybacks where $150 - $200 is paid per gun. A POS gun may only cost $50 - $100 or less. It cost A LOT less if the POS gun is, itself, stolen. And don't fool yourself; the "authorities" usually say that the turned-in guns are run through NCIC. Often that is not the case, PLUS, if Thug A stole the POS gun from Thug B, do you think that there was a police report filed? Stay away from that nonsense.

Decide what you want by doing your homework. Most gun guys will share their views (heck, it's hard to shut most of us up!). Go to various gun stores and check out what is available and what the going prices are. Usually the stores will have the highest prices, but not always. If you know what you want, be patient. Compare what you've seen in the stores to what is available on the internet.

Many deals on the internet allow 3-4-5 day non-shooting trials BUT DO NOT ASSUME that is so. Be sure to bring that up with your seller before agreeing to purchase. Remember that you will most likely responsible for the return shipping and insurance if you decide that the gun's not for you.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Gunny the Gun said:
I buy all my used guns at the shop, I like to pick it up, inspect it , (maybe test fire :-B-:)

I usually follow the same methoid. I want to be able to stick a bore light down a barrel and check the bore. If a revolver I want to check the lock up and see if there is too much wobble in the cylinder.

That said if you have a gunsmith or shop that you trust then thats another alternative. I also think that over time you can build a relationship with individuals on gun forums and get good deals from folks that are very honest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.