National Gun Forum banner

101 - 105 of 105 Posts

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,575 Posts
You're trying?

Okay. Here it is. You bought a broken and dangerous to use shotgun. You may have been screwed. You may not have been screwed. That doesn't matter now Its your gun.

The FIRST repair MUST be replacing the stock. ANYTHING else you do to your gun will decrease whatever value it may have by 50%.

Drop it in a SackUp (Store – Item Profile|SACKUPS) and leave it alone until you get a replacement stock. Stop messing with it. Stop trying the impossible.

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,007 Posts
Drill and pin and yes epoxy. IMO it's the only way to make that sort of repair last. Wood glue alone sounds ridiculous to me unless it's just going to be a wall-hanger. My guess is that some of these guys just have no idea the amount of stress on that area of stock.
Feel free to email me or PM me (not sure how things work now) that way I might avoid saying things that might piss folks off in this thread.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Okay. I understand... I only wonted to see what you think of other possible fix or value helping ideas. I gave up wanting to shoot it since around post 67. Thanks for the offer Ram Rod, I'll be fine though. I'm not going to try anything with it this point... I knew when I bought the gun I was most likely getting the short end of the stick, I'm used to that. I love the gun and that's enough for me... As always many thanks.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
I don't know how much you shot it or if you shot it at all. It cracked there for a reason. There was probably a lot of stress at that point. I'm surprised the tape held it together. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting it and breaking my cheek or losing an eye.
Fixit, the stock is likely quarter sawn which will cause the growth rings to form this way. I improper storage, vertical butt down, will cause the condition Alan described. I call it the obligatory wrist crack/break. The break it's one of the easiest to repair. If the old gun is not a collector the stock is usually available on Ebay for $40.-$50.

101 - 105 of 105 Posts