National Gun Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,575 Posts
Your original stock's wood should be sound from 1/4" - 1/2" behind the rotted (black) section to its butt.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Update: We're using the old stock as a test bed now lol you know, trying out things you would not dare do on your nice stocks? we're testing J B weld, we originally got the idea from a youtuber called Project Farm, and he testing it against 3 other glues, and on wood JB weld held 57 Lbs... But that was a perfect surface. So who knows, maybe it will work impossible magics?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Alright. One last question before we close this chapter, do you think it would actually raise the value if I turned it into a suit case gun? I think it could. Since when I got it it was just a normal beat to bleep and back Model 12, and if I don't do anything to it that's what it'd be sold as (if I sold it) So I think it would have it more valuable cutting it to a 20 inch barrel, finding an old violin case, and getting foam so that it would fit perfectly in the case. And remembers its a takedown model, so then it would it in about a 22 inch area total. I think it would sell better like that than as a normal beat up model 12. Who would not be tempted by a sawed off takedown 12 gauge in a 22 inch violin case?? You've got to admit, that would be a pretty cool...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Here's another idea then, what if I get a different barrel and then I can cut that one then change them out? So then if I, say hunt turkey, I can put the 20 inch barrel in, then if I hunt smaller flying game, or deer with slugs, I can put the 30 inch in. would that be better?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Stock update: We rubbed the surface down with break cleaner, lightly sanded it, then thinly applied JB weld. it has sat over night and I just put it on the gun and can't believe it, its tight as a drum. I don't know what to think. maybe its like a cast iron pan, super hard, but when subject to heavy shock it just shatters? I don't mean to insult your expertise, but. it seems like it works? 🤔

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I know that! But the reason I'm here is to see what you guys think! I already know what I think, I wont to know what you guys think...

·
Keep calm & return fire!
12,897 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Lol yeah. I know its trash. I just wont to do a sort-of-fix to look nice on the wall till I can get enough money to get a new stock it this point... I've given up the battle of wanting to use it since post 67 lol

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Don't cringe at what I'm about to say but... Can I file the sights off? they ain't original, its some homemade configuration that I've never seen. I'll post a photo soon of what they look like. Also, someone has messed with the rib, there are grind marks here and there on the barrel, and close to the end, it looks like they tried to so some kind of strange joining job on the rib. I don't know what they where doing or trying to do, you'll have to see...

·
Keep calm & return fire!
12,897 Posts
I bet you guys are done with me at this point... I've said A lot of noob-ish things
Theres nothing wrong with being a noob. Everyone starts somewhere.
However, I read this this morning and thought to myself... "You've lost your audience."

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
We all WONT to help you. This group has given you the best advice from our many years of collective experience. You seem to WONT to keep going in a different direction. I WONTED to help you but you’re just not getting it. Do what you WANT to do. It’s your gun.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #98 (Edited)
I'm Sorry guys. I'll quit now and hit the high road, but you to understand I AM taking ALL of your your advice, and I LOVE IT. I know you all WONT to help me. I just keep pushing questions and different ideas randomly because I WONT to learn from those here who know it all. But Its true though, I've held you long enough, I'll stop talking... Sorry men

81 - 100 of 105 Posts