National Gun Forum banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Alright alright. Just an Idea. Maybe cutting the stock is not a great Idea, but I still like the idea of a shorter, more maneuverable barrel for brush...

Yeah, I guess none of you directly said it was garbage. I was just getting a little testy and worked up because I don't wont to admit that I spent all my years savings buying a gun that is not exactly working... Sorry if I've sounded angry its nothing personal, I guess I'm just trying to defend my poor purchase...

Then Alen, what do you mean by:
"Well, let's just say I already know. Just wanted to see if you were forthcoming with the information." I don't get what your saying...
[/QUOTE]

·
Super Moderator
14,522 Posts
I asked where you were. There were more questions after that to get a better idea of your mindset,Your age, your background and what you were going to use the shotgun for. The first answer was vague so I suppose the rest of them would be as well. The answers would have given me, and others, a better idea on how to advise You in regard to putting your shotgun in good working condition, especially since most of our advice has been in vain.

it’s not being nosy, it’s an attempt to help and try to keep you from going from bad to worse with your gun.

This is an Internet forum. Two mouse clicks told me the town you live in and several other things. If I wasn’t preoccupied with other things I could probably send you a picture of your house. I’m not going to post your location in open forum but if you wanted to do so I gave you the opportunity. Oh but in one of your pictures there was a business card with information on it anyway.

and, my parents gave me the name Alan. 2 a’s, 1 l, 1 n. It appears at least twice in every post I make.

Alan

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I see where your coming from, that you wont to help me, and I wont you to know that I really do appreciate your and others advice, and, I guess I can't hide much from you. I just always try to make a point of not releasing personal information. But since your so in inclined, I live in a area that has a good 50/50 of woods and fields, hills and bluffs mixed in, the woods are fairly dense and the fields are hilly. That should help you out for your question concerning the environment I'm in and where and how I'd use the gun. For hunting I'd be in probably be in woods mainly...

Sorry to disappoint you but that business card is from a guy at the gun show where I got this gun. hes a fine gold smith and antique firearms seller.

As for my mind set, if you really wont to know, I'm fairly one minded, thoughtful, (Unless it has to do when taking apart a new gun) regularly in the woods alone looking for relics, I find it difficult to stay focused on a project my heart is not in, look up INTJ-T, that's my official personality, I've taken several studies confirming it. what more would you need to know about me?

And then, no offence but, why are you acting slightly stocker-ish, asking ages, personalities, telling me you know where a live and the your going to send me a photo of my home, the seams like a full fledged attempt to kid-nap someone. I think I'm over reacting though, I don't mean to say that your a creep or something you seem like a good guy who just wonts to help me to the best of your abilities, Man, I'm sorry about this hole conversation, it got weird fast

·
Super Moderator
14,522 Posts
Yes, you are overreacting.

You didn’t say what you would be hunting.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,522 Posts
I was a high school administrator for too many years. I think it would be highly unlikely that you could hurt my feelings.

I do find things tiresome from time to time.

we have given you the best advice we can.

run with it, or not.

Alan

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Alright... You sound upset with me. (though I can't blame you) I keep telling you I am enormously grateful for your time spent dealing with me and all the help you have provided, really! I am! And as for what I'd be hunting? white tail, but if I'd hunt deer I'd just use my M91 mosin. I'd probably more normally use it as a varmint gun and to protect against bears while exploring in the woods, or as a truck gun. So mainly coyotes, raccoons, rioters/robbers, those kinds of animals...

Stock update: It broke before it got on the gun. :( Now I really have not choice but to look for another one

P.S. you can say you where right. Alan (I think I got it right this time...)

·
Aim true !
11,302 Posts
You could part that shotgun out on ebay. And make enough dough to buy a new shotgun from a bigbox store such as Walmart or Academy and Rural King if you have one in the area. Vintage gun parts are worth money. No one here wants to see you get injured shooting a gun. With a questionable stock repair. The Mosin excellent for big game. I have one myself.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Yeah. But like I've stated before though, if I wonted a brand new 300$ Walmart Mossburg, I would have got one already, I have a new tri-star 20 gauge and that's all I need for new guns... I love antique shotguns and rifles, and that's what I wont, broken and missing parts in all. I know all of you are worried to death that I'm going to blow my face off, I assure you, I will not shoot it till I get a some new furniture for it... Now that I'm forced too ha ha

And you say you have a Mosin Nagant? Cool! what model and year? like I said earlier post, Mines a M91. built 1916. its a little rough, (like all my babies) but its a hoot to shoot...

·
Aim true !
11,302 Posts
Mines a 91/30. I think 1943.

·
Registered
14,029 Posts
Alan is a CIA operative with top level security clearance. He could probably tell you what time you got up this morning and what color shirt you're wearing........Kidding of course.
I didn't think the stock would hold for a couple of reasons. That wood is just to messed up to properly take glue into the fibers and hold the way it supposed to. Second you said you mixed wood glue and epoxy. Mixing different kinds of adhesives usually won't work, if it did they would sell it like that. Like i said earlier you will need some dowels. Some hardwood 1/8" dowels going vertical through both pieces in several spots trying not to get to close to the outer/inner edges. Even then i think you would just be buying a short time before it breaks again depending on use and care.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Niceeee coalcracker! I like the scope, I'd like do do something like that with mine, but I don't think it would look that good. (If you can't tell already I'm vary looks oriented for better or for worse)

Lol Square target, I have one question though, what would he do if, I was wearing plaid?

And yeah, about the dowels, I don't think they'll work in my case due to the fact that the hollow area in the stock where the metal tang from the receiver goes in is fairly big and looks like if you tried to pin it on ether side it would just crack... I think this stock is hopeless now, I'll just have to shelve the gun and look for a new stock... And I thought I had made a new revolutionary glue mixing titebond II and Instant bond! I was going to make millions!!

·
Aim true !
11,302 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Hey! I've seen this, I don't know if it would work on mine though since its an older model, I think the wood comes farther up the barrel on mine. My dream for this gun would be to get a period correct looking scope, I don't know if the Russians even had scoped M91s in ww1 though... Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Here's a photo my my M91 buried in the little ww2 collection me and my dad my built over the years... (The square stone looking block in the bottom left of the top photo is a cobble stone from the streets of Prague, Czech Republic. One of the coolest bits of ww2 history we have.)

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,574 Posts
Retired gunsmith here. I've been following this thread with some interest.

I'm going to be blunt. Your stock has rotted and cannot be properly repaired. Attempting a patch will, eventually, cause physical harm to the shooter. Your gun is, and will remain, dangerous to use until its stock is replaced. Good news: The nonrotted parts of the stock can be used for repairing other stocks.

You state you do not currently have the money necessary to purchase a replacement stock. Sooo... put the gun away until you have the funds necessary. Then have at it again. Model 12 stocks, both original and replacement, are readily available and will be for the foreseeable future. You have time. Don't halfass the job.

·
Aim true !
11,302 Posts
I like the collection you and your father have. The scope mount will work on Your Mosin too. (y)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Thanks Coalcracker! That means a lot. 😄

Yes Popeye, I view your gunsmiths opinion, and all the others who have contributed their knowledge on this page with respect, and I intend to follow it now... (y)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Hey, just to get maximum use out of the old stock, what if I cut it like that edited picture I posted? Just for looks while its hanging? Would that be a good idea for the old stock? or I could just tape it back together and put it on the wall while I look for the new piece?

61 - 80 of 105 Posts