National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just recently got a Winchester model 12 built 1926 that has a cracked wrist, it was repaired with electrical tape and was holding together fine, but I wont to get it fully fixed and was wondering what the best glue/product would be. How should I handle this? I was just going to put Gorilla glue on it, clamp it good, and then wait a day or 2. But I thought I should come here first and see what the pros say. I'm only a beginner gunsmith so any help would be much appreciated.

·
Aim true !
11,550 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok! thanks! One question, would J.B. weld be a possible option? It seems to work on everything and states on the package that its good for wood. is there any ground to that?

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
You could attempt to glean some knowledge from this fellow.

·
Super Moderator
14,623 Posts
Numrich gun parts. It's likely out of stock, so, you watch for it every day and buy a new/used stock when one comes available.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,623 Posts
That black stuff is what used to be wood. It is now wood rot. You can probably scrape it away with your fingernail. Where the metal meets the wood is already crumbling and will continue to do so. It has been damaged by years of water and oil and trapping it under electrical tape only sped up the process. If this is a gun you intend to use, then getting a new/used stock is the way to go. There are lesser options and I suppose you could put some new electrical tape on it and call it good. I used a shotgun for years duck hunting, in brackish water, that was held together with screws, bailing wire and leather straps. It killed ducks but it was ugly as a Spoony.

If it is a sentimental thing then get a new stock, make the gun sound, and put grandpa's stock up on a shelf.

Alan

·
Aim true !
11,550 Posts
Numrich is a good company, I have delt with them on a few occasions. They had a fore-stock (pump). For my Remington 31 12 ga. New in stock. 1940's vintage. I was real tickled with that.

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I don't know how much you shot it or if you shot it at all. It cracked there for a reason. There was probably a lot of stress at that point. I'm surprised the tape held it together. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting it and breaking my cheek or losing an eye.

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
seen a lot of old guns where a wire wrap was used

·
Super Moderator
14,623 Posts
If I had to guess (which is what I'm doing), I would say that the crack happened after the rot had progressed to a point where recoil was acting on the stock unevenly causing the part that was still solid to break. Or the shotgun was dropped on the butt plate essentially doing the same thing. Then the owner at that time broke out the electrical tape, did the repair, and carried on.

Alan

Reactions: Popeye

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,407 Posts
It's a clean break, so any quality yellow wood glue and a good clamp can make that repair, and have it stronger than the surrounding wood. And no JB Weld is not a good solution.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was cracked when I got it, it was holding together fine and I shot it a little, shoots great! And then since I'm a stupid beginner smith, I wonted to take it apart to see what I could do. And, Ideally, I'd like to save the original stock. Just because I wont to see what I can do as a beginner. one of the reasons I got it was for a project. And then I'd also like to save the original stock because I wont to it mach the roached look of the rest of the gun, and then thirdly, it has that look of American endurance that I wont to keep.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And wow ya'll, I cant believe that so many responded to my plea for help. So from what I see I should just use a good wood glue, (Like Guerrilla?) then clamp it good, and wait a few days?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Because like it says in the title, I'd like to avoid drilling or putting any bolts in it. Even though my new baby is trash, I wont to try and keep it as original as possible. Also I think I've grown too attached to it do drill any holes in it or replace a part thats still savable. 💔

·
Registered
14,361 Posts
Alan is right, the wood is junk. with that said about the only way to fix it where it may hold would be to use some dowels which involves drilling but you said you don;t want to do that. No glue alone will hold that together for any length of time and it will just crack again. Also gorilla glue likes a wet surface and expands slightly when it dries. I have found wood glues or epoxies made for wood work the best. I would use dowels and epoxy and then start your search for some new wood.

Reactions: Popeye
1 - 20 of 105 Posts