National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
There was an Astra advertised in one of my brochures, recently, but I can't find it now. Sorry -- I don't know whether it was new or used. I recently acquired a S&W Mod 1006 (used, of course) and I love that thing! Shoots beautifully. I was lucky to find it.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I believe Colt made the Delta Elite in 10 mm. It was a sweet looking and shooting auto. Hard to find now I imagine.

This is a good question though, I am not sure who still produces a 10mm. Its not a popular caliber anymore! The 40 S&W won the competition and has displaced it for defensive purposes. For hunting there are too many other good choices available to chose a 10mm.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
The Kimber Eclipse Custom can be had in a 10mm, although I think there's something sacrilegious in getting a 1911 in anything but a .45! ;) JMHO................

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
For the money, I vote for the EAA/Tanfoglio WITNESS ifull size in 10mm. I've handled a couple in this caliber and have thought long and hard about buying one, but I've never fired a 10mm. I have owned and fired 9mm, .40S&W and a pair of .45ACP Winesses and all have been fine, reliable guns at a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Nope, Sorry, My Kimber in 10mm shoots pretty well, Like a stout 45+p+..if there is such a thing. It definitely has more wallop to it. My fun handloads are somewhere above 40 S/W power with a 180 grain @1130fps. Full power 10mm loads have even more stink on them:

I chronographed some Corbon 165 JHP @ 1240 fps
Hornady 200 JHP/XTP @ 1060 fps
I have a nice load with a Gold Dot 180 HP running @ 1190 fps

That's some pretty good performance coming from an automatic. One thing to consider when shopping for a 10mm is the heft of the gun, I am not real enthused about the idea of shooting full power loads in a small gun, and when you think about it, mild 10mm loads are just like 40's. So I guess what I'm trying to say is if your not planning on using it to it's full extent, just buy a 40 cal.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
red-rider said:
That's some pretty good performance coming from an automatic. One thing to consider when shopping for a 10mm is the heft of the gun, I am not real enthused about the idea of shooting full power loads in a small gun, and when you think about it, mild 10mm loads are just like 40's. So I guess what I'm trying to say is if your not planning on using it to it's full extent, just buy a 40 cal.
Absolutely! I have to admit that when I first started playing w/10mm, I expected something like ".40 S&W +P" performance. NOT! That sucker is stout! Some gun writers compare it to the .41 Mag, which is really saying something. In my S&W Mod 610 it's not too different as far as recoil and report. In my 4006 all I can say is "think .45 ACP +P+". Very strong!

Speaking of 10mm -- if things go right over the next several days to a week, I hope to be getting out on a coyote hunt and spending a few days out there at my friend's ranch. If so, I will likely take the Mod. 610, so I *hope* to have a shooting report for y'all -- Get some REAL data from more than my humble opinion and chrono -- See some actual results. More To Come...

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
It seems that with the mass of a flashlight & laser, some of the weight issue should be resolved.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I did own a Glock 20, not ported though. It is a big gun, and handles the 10 well. Personally, I cant shoot a glock to save my life, and sold it for what I had in it after a week. If your comfortable with a Glock, go for it.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
SheNine said:
The Kimber Eclipse Custom can be had in a 10mm, although I think there's something sacrilegious in getting a 1911 in anything but a .45! ;) JMHO................

The Eclipse is a beautiful pistol, from the Kimber Custom Shop I believe.

I see that you can now get the 1911 in 40 S&'W and 9 mm. People buy them just to have something different in the same grip frame, I suppose.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
sig232 said:
SheNine said:

The Eclipse is a beautiful pistol, from the Kimber Custom Shop I believe.

I see that you can now get the 1911 in 40 S&'W and 9 mm. People buy them just to have something different in the same grip frame, I suppose.

A friend just bought himself a Kimber in 9mm, and it's a really nice handgun. I didn't mean to come off as a purist or anything, and I hope my comment didn't offend anyone! The 1911 is the quintessential semi-auto in my opinion. It has classic lines and it's an awe-inspiring design. Can't blame anyone for wanting to have one in the caliber of their choice! ;)

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
G

·
Glock 22. There are a ton of lightly used police trade ins for $350 +/-. They shoot great and, unlike others, you can bury them in mud, run over them with a truck, rinse them off and they go BANG!
Thy that with ANY other- it won't happen! :i:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
whompuss said:
Glock 22. There are a ton of lightly used police trade ins for $350 +/-. They shoot great and, unlike others, you can bury them in mud, run over them with a truck, rinse them off and they go BANG!
Thy that with ANY other- it won't happen! :i:

Yep they are rock solid reliable. I can't do the little fine tight target groups with my Glocks but my groups are torso tight and would stop a bad guy, so for defense they are fine. As a target gun you will have to spend some money and replace some parts.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
SheNine said:
I 3rd this, however I did have a Colt 10MM Delta Elite for a duty weapon for several years. I still have it, but its definately not my favorite 1911.

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
I'd get either the Glock, or the Dan Wesson 10mm 1911.

Be aware that U will have a louder gun with the comped version of the 10mm, and U will also loose a little velocity having the comp.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts