National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Crossman break action (1 pump) pellet gun. The gun seems to be of decent quality, but it came with a CenterPoint 4X scope which I found to be useless. I wasted about 150 pellets to find that I can't get better than 3 inch groups at 15 yards. Out of frustration i called CenterPoint and they offered to send me a new scope. I decided that it's not worth taking the chance of getting another POS scope from them. I read reviews that told the same story as mine, scope could not hold a zero and was all over the place. So I'm looking for recommendations on a decent scope for a 177 air gun.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I have two break-barrel single pump pellet guns (spring actuated) and find that the scope mounts walk backwards no matter how tight. I have ditched the scopes and just use the sights.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Air rifles have a two way recoil pulse which is why you need a scope designed and built for that

·
Aim true !
12,464 Posts
I took the scope off my Daisy powerline and put it on my wifes 22. It's holding up good. The scope that came with my Beeman is doing well too. I have a centerpoint scope on my crossbow. It is good too. That is a bummer your having issues with your scope.

Reactions: coach1299

·
Super Moderator
15,285 Posts
Reactions: coach1299

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have been shooting air guns for over thirty years. I have about 20 spring-guns, mostly Weihrauch, Beeman, and RWS rifles. As you may know, spring guns, like yours, have a push-pull action and are extremely hard on scopes. Look for "air gun rated" scopes. Here are a few air gun rated scopes with a good reputation; Bushnell Legend, Bushnell Elite, Simmons 44 Magnum, and air gun rated Hawke and Weaver scopes. I would stay away from any scope that is NOT air gun rated with the exception of Leupold. I have never had a Leupold scope fail on a spring gun, but they are not explicitly air gun rated as far as I know. Before I learned the hard way, I trashed several Tasco, BSA, and Center-Point scopes, even though they were air gun rated. The Bushnell Legend is a pretty good scope for the money. I have owned several and never had one fail.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
It isn't the quality of the scope that I'm having problems with but the fact that on a spring gun, the "claws" on the scope rings walk backwards with each shot, not much but in 10 shots you're offsight. The OP didn't mention whether he has an air or spring rifle, Maybe the problem I'm having only applies to spring. I don't want to hijack this thread so I hope the OP returns soon.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mini14,

Get this. Degrease the mounting surface area really well and crank it down pretty hard on the rifle rail, but be very careful on the scope itself, or you will crush your scope tube. Personally, using this type of mount, I have never had a problem, but if you do, you can add some blue locktite thread locker, but it may damage the bluing. Also, most rifles have a hole in the top and the mount has a built-in threaded stop pin that slips into the hole to keep the mount from drifting back.

One inch tube:

https://www.amazon.com/Hammers-Piec..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=PV7N2P36DR6WE0NRA48E

Or, this.........

30 mm tube:

https://www.amazon.com/Instapark-Ri...39305165&sr=1-6&keywords=air+gun+scope+mounts

I use this type of mount exclusively for spring guns....

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Thanks Swampy. I did not try loctite on the screws but will give it a shot when I dig them out of the gun case. I gave up on the ground squirrels and bought some high dollar poison and within a week they were gone on my prop and the two neighbors prop and we are on two acres a piece. I did have turkey vultures for a few days but I guess they eat anything and I'm not sure whether they will eat other vultures, I've seen them eat dead skunks so I assume since I am in Ca, they are Democrat! First time in years that I have fruit on my trees and grapes galore!
Where is the OP?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks Swampy. I did not try loctite on the screws but will give it a shot when I dig them out of the gun case. I gave up on the ground squirrels and bought some high dollar poison and within a week they were gone on my prop and the two neighbors prop and we are on two acres a piece. I did have turkey vultures for a few days but I guess they eat anything and I'm not sure whether they will eat other vultures, I've seen them eat dead skunks so I assume since I am in Ca, they are Democrat! First time in years that I have fruit on my trees and grapes galore!
Where is the OP?
I think you need a mount like I linked. You probably need more surface area to keep the mount from slipping. Then, the scope may slip, so you will have to deal with that next, but it is the same problem. Use the locktite on the rail and scope and maybe on the threads if they loosen, but the main problem is the mount itself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
More surface area and loctite is not the answer with springer rifles.

Most of the good rifles come with either holes drilled in the channel of the mount grooves or a stop bloc in the channel of the grooves. The holes and the bloc are there for a reason.

You have three things to deal with scoping a springer; the impulse of the gun, quality of the scope and quality of your pellets.

The impulse of the gun is dealt with by using quality mounts that have stop pins that sink into the stop holes in the top of the tube, or sliding your mounts all the way back and hooking against the stop block. Most of the time you will still have a wandering zero unless you use a one piece mount.

Quality of the scope is not always about money. I have a 6-24x scope on my HW30 that holds zero fine after thousands of shots. The scope cost $30 off Amazon. I have an NCstar $50 LER scope, not air gun rated but good enough for magnum pistols, mounted on the barrel of one rifle and it holds zero very well.

Last thing is that most air guns, in fact all air guns, are ammo sensitive, and guess which ammo they all seem to despise? Correct!!! the Crossman and Daisy pellets from Walmart!!!

You may think you are getting good accuracy with those crap pellets, just like some people thing milk carton bulk .22 is "good enough", but you are wasting time and money even trying to get you rifle shooting on the paper using those pellets.

I do not own a single airgun that will keep pellets inside 3" at 25M using Daisy, Crossman or Gamo pellets.

Thing is you do not have to use really expensive pellets either, just not the crap from Walmart!

What is best??? The answer to that is the same as what is the best .22lr ammo. You have to shoot a bunch and find what works best.

Go over to the Pyramid Air site, or Airguns of Arizona or Airgun Depot and order some RWS hobby pellets, some Beeman, some JSB Exact and see what your rifle can really do before trashing the scope.

I have one rifle that will shoot actual one hole, "just open it a little wider than .22 caliber", groups at 25M using JSB pellets. The same gun with the same scope will not keep Crossman pellets inside 4".

Then you have the problem of some rifles, that folks think are really great because of the name on the side, that are actually junk! I can't help you with that!

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,438 Posts
I have been shooting air guns for over thirty years. I have about 20 spring-guns, mostly Weihrauch, Beeman, and RWS rifles. As you may know, spring guns, like yours, have a push-pull action and are extremely hard on scopes. Look for "air gun rated" scopes. Here are a few air gun rated scopes with a good reputation; Bushnell Legend, Bushnell Elite, Simmons 44 Magnum, and air gun rated Hawke and Weaver scopes. I would stay away from any scope that is NOT air gun rated with the exception of Leupold. I have never had a Leupold scope fail on a spring gun, but they are not explicitly air gun rated as far as I know. Before I learned the hard way, I trashed several Tasco, BSA, and Center-Point scopes, even though they were air gun rated. The Bushnell Legend is a pretty good scope for the money. I have owned several and never had one fail.
The above mentioned 'double pulse recoil' will, in a very short time, destroy scopes not specifically designed for air/gas/spring guns. It beats them to death. Swampy lists some good air/gas/spring gun scopes.

A properly mounted scope will not exhibit 'walking problems'.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Like Swampy I've been shooting air rifles for a long time and I find that using a 1 piece scope mount works the best. Get one that has 4 locking screws and you should be good to go. Another thing, did you 'tune' your rifle ? It makes a big difference if you do a basic tune to soften the recoil a bit. If you want to get some expert advice I suggest you go to www.gatewaytoairguns.org the folks there can answer any questions you have about air guns. And recommend the right products.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the gun came with the scope mounted. I made the mistake of assuming Crossman did it correctly. Thanks for all of the advice. I'll have to start over and follow the advise received here. thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts