National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good first CC pistol?

Something that would work for home defense as well.

Also I'm left handed, so ability to turn off safety with left thumb.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You will get lots of opinions. Best thing to do is go to a gun store and lay hands on as many as you can. Buy the one that "fits" your hand the best and points to your natural point of aim.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
Too many unanswered questions, revolver, semi auto and such. But please buy one you will carry, they ain't worth two cents setting on a table at home when you are out and about and need it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
There are much better options for a carry gun than a 1911.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
guns..... https://www.chuckhawks.com/concealed_pistols.htm

the carry method........ https://www.chuckhawks.com/concealed_carry.htm

platform, safety options, caliber, recoil tolerance, size, LH preference.....all will be your choices and not necessarily mine....

i chose a simple approach......for decades.......i pocket carry with a 38 or 32 caliber revolver......nowadays it a ruger LCR....before that it was a S&W 642....

i am left-handed.....a dao revolver is very safe for me to carry and is also LH friendly....

the larger and heavier the gun, the harder to conceal and more the probability it will get left behind on occasion as too much trouble to dress around......less you be absolutely dedicated to the gun and carry system..........i am lazy..

·
Registered
91 Posts
What's a good first CC pistol?

Something that would work for home defense as well.

Also I'm left handed, so ability to turn off safety with left thumb.
If this is your first hand gun and you are buying it because of the madness going on, I would stick with a small double action revolver .
in 38 special.

There's no safety to worry about. The trigger pull is long and typically quite heavy. It's about as safe as a carry gun as you can get. It's also fool proof. You pull that trigger, it's going to go bang.

A 1911 isn't a good choice for an inexperienced gun owner, and it's typically not a great gun for concealed carry because of its size and weight. They make versions that are designed for concealed carry, but I would stay away, as they're often not reliable off off the shelf, and they're generally pretty pricey. You can go to a pawn shop and walk out with a use sub nosed 38 for $300 that's of decent quality. Getting ammo for it if you live in a large city is going to be the trick right now.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
You will get lots of opinions. Best thing to do is go to a gun store and lay hands on as many as you can. Buy the one that "fits" your hand the best and points to your natural point of aim ALBUSA said it all get to a range rent a few TRY, Handle, shoot and make an educated choice

·
Super Moderator
5,705 Posts
Looking for s particular caliber? Any firearm is good just as long as you keep it clean and in working order. 1911 and Glocks I feel should not be the beginners pick for a firearm, just me. Though If you're set n interested in a 1911 and want it for carry and self defense then look to a Springfield EMP (3") or the EMP- 4 (4"). This is a 1/xx size model of the 1911, only to be found in 9mm or 40cal, and is great for carry n good for home protection. These come with the ambi safety. I find the EMP- 4 is better for the bells and whistles one is looking for. If you want the 45 ACP then look to the 4" versions of the 1911 or even the newer 3" versions. Colt puts out the Defender (3") in 45 ACP and 9mm.

Like mentioned up top, get to a firearm store and see which you like best. Try not n talk to the person behind the counter on which he says you should buy. If they have a range there see if you van try the firearm you like out.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use 2 handguns for carrying. S&W Shield 2.0 compact w/crimson laser and a Springfield XDM 3.8 compact...both 9mm. I like the S&W when I'm just wearing a t-shirt. Single stack and easily concealed. If I've got a jacket or hoodie, the XDM gets used some. The jacket can conceal the double stack better. I'm right handed and I like the appendix carry position.

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
Guys, use your heads. The OP says he’s looking for his first pistol and asks about a 1911? What first timer says 1911? The inexperienced would say “ 45 “ or “45 Automatic”. Why mention the 1911? Because it gets responses. There are literally dozens of other guns that are cheaper, more flashy and more hi-tech that a first timer would choose over the 1911. Think about what’s being posted. It’s completely designed to get you guys to give opinions that get people excited. Yes, without a doubt it’s JP. Shut this one down too.

·
Super Moderator
11,366 Posts
Stamps, your post is tantamount to an insult to every member of this forum. You are not in possession of a crystal ball or any sort of mind-reading ability.

Knock it off.

--Wag--

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
I will disagree about a small 38 revolver - that is one of the hardest guns to master and shoot accurately. Something along the lines of the SIG P365 which is accurate, easily concealed, and with a 12 or 15 round magazine, has enough capacity to handle most situations.

That said, I would suggest you go to a range that rents guns and shoot as many as possible.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A good first CC pistol?

I am not a big Glock fan but it is hard not to acknowledge that Glock does everything pretty darn well. I would probably suggest a G43 or 43x as a first CC pistol.

If person has trouble with a 9mm, I would then explore the 380 but as a general rule, 9mm and 38special is about as small as I want to go in a SD type pistol. Nothing against a 380 and it has certainly served in a SD role for many many decades but I have never really been all that impressed with the capabilities of the little round.

My recommendation:

Glock 43X
Glock 43
Smith Mod 60
Glock 42

My Carry Gun:

Browning Hi Power (Primary)
Glock 26 (Secondary)
Smith Mod 36 ( Every Blue Moon)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I will disagree about a small 38 revolver - that is one of the hardest guns to master and shoot accurately.

I think it depends on what you consider "mastering" to mean. If relatively close self defense actions within 15 yards is what you are gearing for.. a snub nose revolver can be just fine for many people. I think that people often associate "hard" with expectations or comparisons which may be a little unrealistic. A person does not have to be a "bullseye shooter" in order to be a competent defender with a snub nose revolver. The term "accurate" is rather subjective if a person accepts that an entire universe can exist between bullseye accuracy and combat accuracy.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Too many unanswered questions. Put me down for a 357 LCR you will never regret it.

Reactions: deputy
1 - 20 of 23 Posts