National Gun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im not a complete noobie when it comes to guns, I own several air rifles and play paintball, so I have some discipline and skill, but being in New Zealand means I dont have access to the same kind of guns you lucky Americans do!

So aaaanyway...finally starting to sort out my gun license (fingers crossed) and starting to wonder...what will my first real rifle be?

I'm thinking a simple .22, bolt action or semi auto doesnt matter. I dont really care about range or power, its for plinking cans and practice, seeing if i can carry over some of my shooting skills from air rifles to the real thing. I guess semi auto would be the most fun though...and I'm gunna want to suppress it too..

So...whats a good accurate starting rifle? Has to be easy to field strip/clean/look after (remembering I am a novice). Has to be cheap. Any ideas guys?

·
Big Honkin' Daddy
1,247 Posts
Ruger 10/22 semi auto. The possible mods are endless.

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
Put me down for the 10/22 also. You might find a tube fed Marlin or something for less though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice...just looked a few up, they don't look so bad neither huh? Couple of the modded up ones especially look badass. I like the sound of an easily moddible rifle like this, and Ruger have got a good name...3 out of 3 votes for it so far this is looking like the one for me so far...

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Mossberg 702 Plinkster .22 LR 10 shot magazine semi-auto - bought one for my son $115 - very nice and accurate rifle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Okay...cant find the Mossberg anywhere over here, or even one vaguely like it.

I'm really liking the Ruger 10/22...esp the whole customizable thing. And theyre readily available over here.

I started another thread asking about suppressors...as i want to put one on rifle when I get one...and I ran into this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=173373439

and this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=173373712

Both .22 Rugers and both with integral suppressors,exactly everything I'm looking for in one package (Bear in mind prices are in NZD before you Americans go "wtf!").

So!...what do ya's think? I cant see why one is more expensive than the other, if anything I'd have thought the one with the scope would be more expensive...

Take a look and tell me what you think eh guys?

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That wee marlin does look good, thanks for finding so much info for me mate, very good of you.

The Marlin has me intrigued now...I mean 450 bucks is cheap as hell (thats like 300 USD), whereas those suppressed Rugers where twice that. A few more questions:

Accuracy wise, much difference between the Ruger and the Marlin?

Can I suppress the Marlin and use sub sonic ammo?

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
You can buy a stock Ruger 10/22 with the wood stock for close to $200 US.

I have never owned a suppressor on a firearm so I wonder why anyone would need that for a 22 caliber, unless you plan on making a movie.

Guns are not toys, they will bite you if you don't respect them.

·
Banned
921 Posts
I guess semi auto would be the most fun though...and I'm gunna want to suppress it too..

So...whats a good accurate starting rifle? Has to be easy to field strip/clean/look after (remembering I am a novice). Has to be cheap. Any ideas guys?

Correct me If I'm wrong, but If you put a suppressor on a Rifle doesnt that screw up the accuracy? Why would you even do that in the first place? Dont wanna scare the sheep?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can buy a stock Ruger 10/22 with the wood stock for close to $200 US.

I have never owned a suppressor on a firearm so I wonder why anyone would need that for a 22 caliber, unless you plan on making a movie.

Guns are not toys, they will bite you if you don't respect them.
The quieter the shot the nicer it is too shoot. We will be shooting in a semi rural area and I want the report to carry as least as possible as I dont want park rangers hassling us. We fire off air rifles out there no problem, even the big 9mm Shin Sung which makes an almighty crack, but the noise can get tiresome when your putting a lot of rounds downrange. There will be a few of us all taking turns shooting and I dont want everyone having to wear ear protection all the time.

As for movies actually yeah I do contract work in film and television and am a (amateur) director myself. Next year we are shooting a short film and yes it will have guns in it. I will not be using a suppressor in the film though no.

Correct me If I'm wrong, but If you put a suppressor on a Rifle doesnt that screw up the accuracy? Why would you even do that in the first place? Dont wanna scare the sheep?
Actually a suppressor can make a round more accurate due to consistent gas release and impact upon said round.

And the sheep? **** mate their already scared, its New Zealand :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts