National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, an odd thought struck me today as I was browsing NFA firearms for kicks and grins. What will/does the U.S. military (all branches) do with old machine guns that are no longer needed? I'm aware that the '86 NFA ruling states that full-auto weapons can no longer be manufactured for civilians, but the government is supposed to resell unneeded items in decent condition back to the public since they were purchased with tax dollars. Would they become NFA firearms, be destroyed, or deteriorate in a box in some forlorn warehouse? Just curious, but knowledgeable answers are appreciated.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,756 Posts
Many are used for training purposes until they are worn out, then they are scraped.

·
Super Moderator
5,837 Posts
Lets see, your first post. Fishing for some "loophole" response? Yep the typical first post for everyone. This is what everyone is wondering.........so where do I start.....:) Lets start by, they're military surplus, old junk metal and taking up lots of room.......

........Wow, op left the door wide open :)

The government is not supposed to do nything with them if they so desire. They would let them sit in the warehouse to become iron oxide if they wanted.

Give them s ring if you want to know..

·
Registered
758 Posts
Typically, any Army Class III weapon, is recycled down to the NG/AR components. They remain within the government inventory, and are not available for civilian purchase. And typically the average civilian will never see an Army M-16. The Army has a closed system for that type of weapon, just like it has for grenades and tanks.

·
Premium Member
7,213 Posts
Wait! What?? I was looking to get a m79 for my AR. I was going to shoot tennis balls out of it. Now what am I going to use AR for? If I'd only been told this before............

·
Registered
14,596 Posts
I have a couple of co-workers who are in the National Guard and their issue weapons are Vietnam era M-16's. They don't get the newer stuff but will eventually get what the regular military is using now when they upgrade....many years from.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
One thing for sure is that they will not be coming to NY anytime soon unless you're exempt because of active military or police.
Hey all, an odd thought struck me today as I was browsing NFA firearms for kicks and grins. What will/does the U.S. military (all branches) do with old machine guns that are no longer needed? I'm aware that the '86 NFA ruling states that full-auto weapons can no longer be manufactured for civilians, but the government is supposed to resell unneeded items in decent condition back to the public since they were purchased with tax dollars. Would they become NFA firearms, be destroyed, or deteriorate in a box in some forlorn warehouse? Just curious, but knowledgeable answers are appreciated.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Many of them also get recycled, rebuilt, and end up as part of US Aid packages to allegedly friendly foreign nations. Some get the same treatment and get handed out to police departments (many are de-activated from select fire to semiauto only). Our SWAT Team had M16A2s from the 80s at one point before going to M4s and MP5s.

One thing is for sure...Joe Smith on Main Street won't get one legally.

·
Premium Member
7,213 Posts
They usually sell them to first time posters on gun forums at $.10 on the dollar. No background checks and free shipping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts