National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using a Dillon 550, There no BS policy inticed me. Never had to use it, though. I have tool heads for each caliber so changing out calibers is a snap, providing you dont have to change the primer size, then it takes just a few more minutes. If I ever get a shop built, I would like to get a 650 for large primers and leave my 550 setup for small. I used to have a "gun room" with all my equipment in there, But I got married and have kids now, my reloading desk is in the kitchen (many objections from my wife). I made it clear that my stuff wasnt going to the carport! I have a large shelf that I keep all my brass in plastic shoeboxes in,labeled clean, dirty, or different headstamps that I keep seperate.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Well, I don't have a wife anymore. :-B-: I do have a gun room where I reload & do my gun cleaning / maintence ect. I have two 550 Dillons & a RCBS Rockchucker mounted on a bench. One of them is used for 45ACP & the other one is for small primer stuff. 9mm & .223 at the moment. The Rockchucker handles .270 & 30-30 ammo & I use it to run small ammounts of new loads I'm workin on. I like the way it's so easy to change callibers on the Dillon. :D I've been thinking about adding a shotgun shell reloader. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've been using an RCBS Rockchucker for almost 40 years now. I have a Dillon 550 but haven't used it for at least 5 years. I just enjoy loading on the Rockchucker. I find it relaxing. For shotguns I use a Mec 650.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I use the Dillon 550 and love it. Had the old Pacific single stage and RCBS single stage and sold them both for about $225 some time ago.

The dillon is a joy to use and its so conveninet to have all the cals set up on a reloading plate and simpy slip them in when you change cals. No readjusting of the dies is necessary. Its a nice deal.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I use an RCBS Pro2000 (progressive) for pistol and high-volume rifle reloading and a RCBS Rockchucker for all single-stage, precision loading. RCBS has always come through with their warranty and advice when I've needed it. I also use their case prep machine, their power trimmer and a buttload of other green tools.

·
Galactic Effectuator
525 Posts
Currently I have a Dillon XL 650 and a Dillon AT 500. I'm planning on adding another XL 650 and leave one set up for large and one set up for small primers. (Changing primer devices is the single PITA in the whole process.)

I have a real nice reloading room right now - an addition on to the garage. I'll be moving in the middle of next year and a separate, dedicated reloading room - which will be separate from the workshop and storage areas - is a required feature. I need to get some pictures of my reloading room to share on that thread.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts

This is my current setup. 2 Dillons, a Square Deal in .44 Magnum, and an older RL-450. 2 MEC Shotshell loaders, a 650 and a 8567 Grabber both in 12 ga. set up for Trap Loads. A MEC Case Conditioner for resizing and depriming hulls. An RCBS Rockchucker. And a Redding T-7 Turret Press. Powder measures are a Lyman 55 and a Redding 3-BR. Bill T.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I prefer the RCBS Rockchucker. I load a lot for trappers and some of these guys are on the Texas border with Mexico. Because not all wets are looking for work, they cannot afford to have a misfire or a squib load- their lives depend on my ammo. I load one at a time and look inside every case before putting a bullet in it. I won't use any type of progressive press and have given away two new Dillons this year alone. Not saying a Dillon is bad, just I have to know that everything is right and that can't happen with a progressive.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Trapper L said:
I load one at a time and look inside every case before putting a bullet in it.
I do that on both of my progressives as well. A progressive press does the exact same thing, with the exact same dies a single stage press does. It just does it more efficiently, with far less wasted motion and time. Besides, todays modern progressives can be purchased with low primer, as well as low powder warning systems. They can even be equipped with powder check systems to make sure each and every case is properly charged. It is just as easy to "know" if everything is right on a progressive, except you will know at a much more efficient rate of production. My wife and I shoot about 3,000 rounds of 12 ga. Trap loads every year. It would take forever to try and accomplish this on a single stage loading press, or even 2 of them. I've yet to meet one dedicated Trapshooter who loads on a single stage unless they are just starting out in the sport. The same with IPSC, IDPA, and all other action pistol shooters. I can't even begin to count the total number of shotshells, rifle, and pistol ammunition, I've loaded, and fired that was loaded on progressive presses. I have never had an overload or a "dud". All factory ammunition is loaded progressively. Our military, law enforcement, and private citizens, many who carry, all trust their lives to it. I'm just curious. If you feel this way about progressive presses, why did you purchase 2 Dillons to begin with? Bill T.

·
0 Posts
Been loading with a Rockchucker since 1972. Currently load for
.30-.30, .270, .30-06, .243, 7mm-08, 8mm Mauser,.41 Mag. and .44 Mag.and plan on loading for a .33 WCF (Model '86 Win), :i: if I can ever find some bullets for it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
billt, I don't buy the Dillions, they are given to me. I get all kinds of equipment with the projects I do for the State and independent trappers. The folks I am loading for have used reloaders that had progressive presses and some automatic reloading machines. They had nothing but issues with the ammo and won't have anymore of it. It's either my single stage press or factory ammo for them. They prefer my reloads as it is tailored to each of their guns. It's nice to be in demand.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Trapper L said:
The folks I am loading for have used reloaders that had progressive presses and some automatic reloading machines. They had nothing but issues with the ammo and won't have anymore of it.
How are you certain these "issues" were the result of the equipment in question, and not the operator? Bill T.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Trapper L said:
The folks I am loading for have used reloaders that had progressive presses and some automatic reloading machines. They had nothing but issues with the ammo and won't have anymore of it.
So basicly what your telling all of us is you reload for people who can't, because of their own inabilities, and or inadequacies, reload for themselves, regardless of equipment. If they could they would be reloading on their own single stage presses instead of having to depend on you to do it for them. This is hardly a reason for you to condemn progressive reloading presses in general. If an individual is too stupid to become a doctor, that in itself doesn't mean doctors are stupid in general. Some do, others follow. Bill T.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I now have the Dillon 550 progressive and I love it.

I will have to admit that the only time I have ever had a misfire with the lead being lodged in the chamber was with the Dillon. I was not paying attention and must have not put in a powder charge.

I loaded for thirty years with my pacific equipment, single stage and never had that problem.
So you can make mistakes by trying to load too fast with the progressives.

But it was not the presses fault it was the operator that screwed up, little ole me!

A

·
0 Posts
I have two 550b presses. One is set up for .45 ACP and the other .38 Super,.38 Special, and .38 short colt.

Dave

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
The odd man out again. I use a Lee Loadmaster for pistol with a mix of RCBS and Lee dies.

For rifle I may use the loadmaster for 223 plinkers in the ARs, but the serious rifle stuff goes on the Rock Chucker.

I would put a picture of my setup here, but that would mean cleaning it first. Right now no one would be able to see the tabletop. :shock:

T

·
0 Posts
I have to move to dogsoldiers side of the room. I load with a Lee Pro 1000. I'm currently loading .40S&W, 9MM .38Spl. and 357 Mag. Most of the other forums indicated Lee was a poor press provider but I have loaded on the order of 15,000 rounds with it over the last year and a half and am still going strong. If I had it to do over I would buy the Loadmaster to get the extra stations but it would still be Lee.

:--- :i:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts