National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My name is Emily, and I am new here. I am thinking about buying a shotgun for home-defense. This would be my first gun. I have only fired handguns. When I go to the range I usually shoot a .45 Sig, and I can handle it well. Can anyone give me a suggestion or two so I know what to look for. I don't want anything too expensive but quality would outweigh price.

Thank you.
Emily

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Hi Emily.

My choice for a home defense shotgun is a Remington 870 Express with an 18.5" tube. New, they sell for $350.00 - $400.00. The Mossberg 500A is another good choice, for less money, but, in my book, the Remington takes honors.

It is not necessary to load 00 Buckshot as, at in home distances, #4 or #6 Birdshot is just as deadly without the increased recoil that comes with Buckshot.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Frist! Welcome from the swamp. That Sig should do the job if you handle it well, but if you want a shot gun I would go with the 870 and #4 shot. Good luck. :-B-:

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Magman said:
Baldy said:
and #4 shot.

Buck or Bird shot?
Buck or Bird will do the job at close range. In most houses your not going to be shooting over 30'. Also remember anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice when it comes to defense of your life and loved ones. :---

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Emily, Glad you joined us!

The others are giving you some good advice. Just remember to get some good instruction and practice regularly. You'll hear a bit -- OK, a LOT -- of kidding around here on the forum, but we're all deadly serious about personal defense and personal responsibility regarding firearms.

Have fun on the forum and come by often!

KYPD,

~Rick
a/k/a "The Gunrunner"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
stoger makes a short double barrel easy to manuver and shoots well called a coachgun.iguess from old wagon days. i use one rabbit hunting occasionally and like [email protected] $200-300 comes in stainless which is nice for long storage by the bed.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
Rem. 870 or Pardner pump

870, might want to find a gun shop and talk face to face with the info you got here...cause I would recomend a nice tactical stock that will take out a LOT of the recoil and will give you the pistol grip with the full stock....oh and for the record, i would NEVER use birdshot for hd, go with either #4 or 00 buck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts