National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What scope would you use on a 6.5 Creedmoor that you can use for long range target shooting and for hunting?

·
Aim true !
11,051 Posts
It would be good to know your budget and how far you consider long range.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Live Free
3,121 Posts
What scope would you use on a 6.5 Creedmoor that you can use for long range target shooting and for hunting?
Welcome to NGF!
Regarding your question, that would really be two different scopes. You can make one scope manage both hunting and long range but it really will not be great for either. Different reticles and you really need lesser magnification for hunting and more for long range. Maybe a 4-12 with a fairly large objective lens will get you some crossover...then you got to think about cost. But your less costly optics usually do not track very well and will not be real helpful for long range shooting.
What sort of rifle are you working with? How much are you able to spend?
I wonder also, what is your idea of long range?

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
not a clue as i am not a long range shooter.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be good to know your budget and how far you consider long range.
Hi Coalcracker. Thanks. Not really worried about budget and out to at least 1,000 yds. My buddy out in Colorado has a 1,500 yd range plus lots of elk. That's why I was looking for suggestions on a scope that would possibly do both. I saw the Burris that was specific to the 6.5 Creedmoor that it looks like I could hunt with it also but I also know there are a lot of you with way more knowledge on the subject than I do. That is why I asked the question.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to NGF!
Regarding your question, that would really be two different scopes. You can make one scope manage both hunting and long range but it really will not be great for either. Different reticles and you really need lesser magnification for hunting and more for long range. Maybe a 4-12 with a fairly large objective lens will get you some crossover...then you got to think about cost. But your less costly optics usually do not track very well and will not be real helpful for long range shooting.
What sort of rifle are you working with? How much are you able to spend?
I wonder also, what is your idea of long range?
Thanks for your response AgedWarrior. I'm not really worried about budget and out to at least 1,000 yds. My buddy out in Colorado has a 1,500 yd range plus lots of elk. That's why I was looking for suggestions on a scope that would possibly do both. I saw the Burris that was specific to the 6.5 Creedmoor that it looks like I could hunt with it also but I also know there are a lot of you with way more knowledge on the subject than I do. That is why I asked the question.

·
Live Free
3,121 Posts
Thanks for your response AgedWarrior. I'm not really worried about budget and out to at least 1,000 yds. My buddy out in Colorado has a 1,500 yd range plus lots of elk. That's why I was looking for suggestions on a scope that would possibly do both. I saw the Burris that was specific to the 6.5 Creedmoor that it looks like I could hunt with it also but I also know there are a lot of you with way more knowledge on the subject than I do. That is why I asked the question.
You might look at the Vortex Razor 4.5-27x56. Vortex top end scopes are quite good, but there are some European optics of excellent quality also Leopold or Burris top end optics. Athlon top end optics are pretty good and at a good price. What ever you buy, if you want to shoot distance avoid the lesser cost stuff because most of them will not track very well at all. The drawback to choosing a long range scope is they are typically going to be a little heavier and bigger objective lens, so they are less fun to hunt with, and a lot of them start out with too high of magnification at the lower end for hunting; 4.5 isn’t too bad, but 3 would be even better in the field.
I don’t hunt with the 6.5 Creedmore I own, so it is easier for me to use a different scope on my hunting rifles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might look at the Vortex Razor 4.5-27x56. Vortex top end scopes are quite good, but there are some European optics of excellent quality also Leopold or Burris top end optics. Athlon top end optics are pretty good and at a good price. What ever you buy, if you want to shoot distance avoid the lesser cost stuff because most of them will not track very well at all. The drawback to choosing a long range scope is they are typically going to be a little heavier and bigger objective lens, so they are less fun to hunt with, and a lot of them start out with too high of magnification at the lower end for hunting; 4.5 isn’t too bad, but 3 would be even better in the field.
I don’t hunt with the 6.5 Creedmore I own, so it is easier for me to use a different scope on my hunting rifles.
Thanks AgedWarrior. I will definitely check them all out but mite opt like you with two different rifles. Thanks again.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If your talking top end I think I would go Schmidt Bender!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I am looking as well. I got a few I’m looking at. If you go out to TiborasaurusRex’s YouTube, has has quite a number of scope reviews in a playlist out there. If it were me, I’d opt for a 34mm tube, FFP with an illuminated reticle if you intend to use the same scope for hunting and long range. The larger tube will get you more elevation adjustment for bullet drop at long range and the illuminated reticle will allow you to see the FFP reticle at low power, otherwise, it gets lost against the background because the etching is so fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am looking as well. I got a few I’m looking at. If you go out to TiborasaurusRex’s YouTube, has has quite a number of scope reviews in a playlist out there. If it were me, I’d opt for a 34mm tube, FFP with an illuminated reticle if you intend to use the same scope for hunting and long range. The larger tube will get you more elevation adjustment for bullet drop at long range and the illuminated reticle will allow you to see the FFP reticle at low power, otherwise, it gets lost against the background because the etching is so fine.
Thanks Philmo11, I will definitely check it out. I also looked at Shepard scopes and they have a 3-18 x 50 which I think would fit into my category.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Thanks Philmo11, I will definitely check it out. I also looked at Shepard scopes and they have a 3-18 x 50 which I think would fit into my category.
If you are looking at the BRS, it would likely fit the bill. I personally have never had my hands in one so if you do get one, let us know what you think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts