National Gun Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to the store tomorrow picking up a 10/22 and possibly ordering a fn 15 comp we'll see how I'm feeling but I'm new to the scene so how do you figure out a good scope? How do you know what you like? They range from cheap to more expensive than a gun how do you choose and know what you'll be comfortable with? Take it back till you find something you like?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say I have 200 yards to practice down lane with I'd have to get an accurate measurement which my buddy coming tomorrow has a range finder so thatll be easy but I figure 200 yards or less what's typically considered close quarters 100 yards?

·
Aim true !
10,293 Posts
Cool congrats on the decision to get the 10/22. I had red dots on my AR 22'S. If your going to shoot some distances you may want a magnified scope.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah eventually I want to do some coyote hunting but I want to make sure I'm a decent shot before I start shooting live animal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you might've been the one to mention it in my first post @coalcracker so I did a bit of research and I'm making it happen thanks for the suggestion if that was you

·
Aim true !
10,293 Posts
Yeppers it was me. And your very welcome. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,919 Posts
200 yards is a long shot for a .22. The drop of a 40 grain bullet at 200 yards is 55”. Not even going to say anything about the energy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was looking at a 5.56 ar 15 the Ruger was just cheap practice I dont have to shoot the 200 yards I was just saying I think that's about what I got

·
Live Free
2,879 Posts
It really does depend on your application. Sounds like you are thinking 100 to 200 yards and potential coyote hunting later. My thinking would be a magnification of 2-10 variable to give you some good short range application with the ability to reach a bit further later. My AR15 is chambered in 6.5 Grendel and I like shooting it out to 500+ so I use a 4-12x40 Vortex Diamondback with good success. Make sure you buy quality. Leupold, Vortex, Burris all make pretty good Optics. Nikon scopes are pretty good too, but they are getting out of the rifle scope business. Athlon and Sightron are pretty good too, but Athlon scopes tend to be a bit on the heavy side.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It really does depend on your application. Sounds like you are thinking 100 to 200 yards and potential coyote hunting later. My thinking would be a magnification of 2-10 variable to give you some good short range application with the ability to reach a bit further later. My AR15 is chambered in 6.5 Grendel and I like shooting it out to 500+ so I use a 4-12x40 Vortex Diamondback with good success. Make sure you buy quality. Leupold, Vortex, Burris all make pretty good Optics. Nikon scopes are pretty good too, but they are getting out of the rifle scope business. Athlon and Sightron are pretty good too, but Athlon scopes tend to be a bit on the heavy side.
Nice answer thanks for that and Grendel 6.5mm this is news to me since I'm new more research I'm liking what I'm seeing though 🤤

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So if i bought an ar 15 that shoots 5.56 and I wanted it to shoot grendel do i just change barrels? Not sure how this works

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
So if i bought an ar 15 that shoots 5.56 and I wanted it to shoot grendel do i just change barrels? Not sure how this works

You change the whole upper. many people do this. Have one lower and multiple uppers so you just pull two pins and can switch in seconds. The bolt is also different and theoretically you could change the barrel and bolt but it's a time consuming process, special tools are needed and not something you want to do often because you're dealing with aluminum threads on the upper and possibly the barrel nut. Aluminum threads to not take kindly to being torqued over and over. You'll also need different mags too.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The great thing about the plateform is you can start with flip up sights and get used to the weapon and then decide which way to go. The 6.5 Grendel is an interesting option. A 13 year old girl at the ranch where I hunt killed 3 deer this year with hers. A word of caution, your about to enter a new world which will highly impact your wallet. Ask Coal, I think he bought stock in his local GS. :cornut:

·
Live Free
2,879 Posts
Square target gave good answer. There are several different cartridges you could shoot out of your AR15 by changing out the upper, and depending on the cartridge, different mags. Basically you can spend a lot of money doing this! :yesnod1: But there are many who do!

·
Aim true !
10,293 Posts
Mr Jones. Post up some pics of the 10/22 we like seeing folks new guns when they get them. :thumbsup:

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts

1 - 18 of 18 Posts