National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about biding (local auction) on a S&W 1066 (I think it's a 1066) 10mm for grinners. I don't need one and have no intentions of carrying it, I'm thinking it might be a cool gun to own?

Let me hear what ya think

The only pic provided.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,779 Posts
By the time S&W got around to the third generation of their 1000 series pistols they'd worked out all of the bugs. The myriad of earlier generation problems kept them from being big sellers. The 1066 was their 'carry version', basically, a Commender sized pistol (I believe only some 5000 of this version were manufactured). They are good & solid pistols, albeit a bit heavy for daily carry, and have developed somewhat of a cult following.

·
Aim true !
9,736 Posts
To be honest. I wouldn't want to shoot 10mm in a polymer gun. The steel ones make it more manageable. Even with hot loads. Just my take on it.

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
You’re asking the wrong guy. The wrong crowd too! I just bought two great concealed carry guns and we can’t carry at all in NJ. if you want it, if you can afford it and the wife won’t kill you, then do it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Popeye is right, (welcome back, big guy) there were less than 5200 made. Basically, it's a 1076, except the 1076 has a standard hammer, the 1066 has a bobbed hammer, like the 6906, or 3913. Makes it snag free, if you have a large pocket.

I like mine. Shoots to POA, like most GenIIIs, everything you want, nothing you don't. IMO, recoil is very manageable,
but I'm a large guy, with big hands. I'd buy mine again, and I carry it regularly.

BTW, try to get mags with the purchase, they are expensive and HTF. As in, 75$ or more, IF you can find them.

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Auctions are fun but you have to set you limit. I’ve been known to bid $5 or $10 over what a swore was my max. Lol. I just won that auction for the S&W Airweight 2” snub. Lightly used in excellent condition. I can buy it new from Buds for $450. I won the auction for $400 including shipping. I would have been happier at $375. but it is still a fair price.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Auctions are fun but you have to set you limit. I’ve been known to bid $5 or $10 over what a swore was my max. Lol. I just won that auction for the S&W Airweight 2” snub. Lightly used in excellent condition. I can buy it new from Buds for $450. I won the auction for $400 including shipping. I would have been happier at $375. but it is still a fair price.
I've done a little research...IF it is a 1066 1k will be my cut-off, any higher than that I doubt I'd be interested.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I went to the auction today and learned two things....People are really scared or have disposable incomes. 🥴 🥴 🥴

The S&W was a 1026 not a 1066...it sold for north of 1k...they sold the two extra mags separate. I bid up to my limit of 1k. 🥴

Three DPMS AR's went for over $800. I bid on all three up to $500

Two Browning A-bolts one in 300wsm the other in 30-06 went for $900. Same as the AR's bid up to $500.

One TIkka heavy barrel 223 went over $800. You can buy a brand new one all day for less than $900 if you shop around.

I probably went to the last auction I'm gonna go too....now I know where the gun show guys get their inventory. 😂😂

·
Registered
640 Posts
Auctions, IME, many times the item's owner will surreptitiously bid against you, to try to jack the price.
I've walked away from a few auctions, after being "outbid", just to get contacted later, to see if I was
still interested in the very same item.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Auctions, IME, many times the item's owner will surreptitiously bid against you, to try to jack the price.
I've walked away from a few auctions, after being "outbid", just to get contacted later, to see if I was
still interested in the very same item.
I believe the owner of all the stuff had passed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts