National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’ve all done it at one time or another. You take apart your gun to clean, service or see what makes it click and in the process lost a part. Who knows where that little pin wound up?
I was cleaning one of my Mosin Nagants and I lost the little trigger pivot pin.who even knew it was a thing you could loose? I was in my basement workshop and it may as well fell into the twilight zone. A quick internet search for a new one lead me to cutting the right size drill bit shaft And it was fixed. Lesson learned. What did you loose?

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
Im still missing a recoil spring plug for a 1911. And lost a mag release spring for the wifes JA 9mm. Jimenez was nice and sent a new one free. He said it happens don't worry about it. He even sent me a hand written diagram how to put it back in.

·
Registered
13,442 Posts
I took the pistol grip off my lower the other day, the detent spring went boing, bounced off the ceiling and hit the floor. That laminate floor I put in this year saved my but! Nothing can hide on that.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
297 Posts
Mossberg Safety has a ball bearing on a spring to make it stay in place. I didn’t notice when it came apart, but it was obvious going back together. Standard size so had plenty to put one back in.

·
Genius in Training
486 Posts
We’ve all done it at one time or another. You take apart your gun to clean, service or see what makes it click and in the process lost a part. Who knows where that little pin wound up?
I was cleaning one of my Mosin Nagants and I lost the little trigger pivot pin.who even knew it was a thing you could loose? I was in my basement workshop and it may as well fell into the twilight zone. A quick internet search for a new one lead me to cutting the right size drill bit shaft And it was fixed. Lesson learned. What did you loose?
I'm not sure what the part is called but in for my savage 11 scout there is a little metal ball between the extractor and the spring that helps hold it in place. Didn't know what to expect when taking it apart and launched that little ball across the room. Luckily number 8 shot happens to be within a few thousandths of an inch in dimensions so I took a shotgun shell apart an made it work. Still in there to this day with no issue.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Detent and spring for the front take down pin on a AR lower. Not while servicing though, just the assembly. Found them oddly enough.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I am fixin to build another lower. I ave an extra pin,detent and spring. But ordered a set of 10 anyway for $10.
Yup, lost a couple of those already. It's the most likely one to lose according to a lot of folks.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
577 Posts
My luck with gun parts is very good.
Because my lawn mover keeps reminding me to
Put parts safely aside when working on it !!!

When working on guns, I use a table pad and a parts tray.
Wish someone made one of those pads big enough
to park a lawn mower on.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The problem is not getting lost on the bench but during assembly/disassembly.
They tend to escape into a black hole somewhere......

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I have lost that little ball for the safety on the mossberg 500 as well........

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tearing apart the wifey's walther ccp and the teeny tiny pin that holds the striker spring and such came out just enough to let that spring go boing. over a year and I still cant find the original one

·
Super Moderator
11,194 Posts
Once within the last 12 months, I was putting my spring and guide rod assembly back into my Beretta 92 and it slipped from my hand somehow. It launched the two parts and I was lucky to find the spring. No guide rod, though. I hunted everywhere and no luck.

I followed the rule of, if you buy a new item, you'll find the old one you're looking for. Sure enough, the minute of finished ordering a new one from the Beretta web site, I went outside and saw the guide rod lying in my driveway, just in front of the garage door. Go figure. Now, of course, I have two.

--Wag--

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
The recoil spring on my Taurus spectrum. Is very tough for a little gun. It's hard to put it back in. I have to use a needle nose vice grip to keep it compressed. The guide rod is steel. If it was plastic i would be afraid of gouging it. But anyways it has launched a few times. Didn't lose it yet.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
684 Posts
Lose my patience, on a regular basis, trying to get one safe queen or another to shoot dependably, or accurately.
Stands to reason, because it's very small, and hard to hold onto.

Used to have a lot of fun, watching TV, and playing "spring operated mortar", with small pistol parts.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
If you disassemble inside a box, it should help minimize parts going off into never never land

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
Pistoleer
37 Posts
When attempting to install the safety on a disassembled Beretta 92 slide a spring loaded plunger shot out and went out of the room I was in and into the kitchen. I figured there was no way to find it but amazingly I saw it right on one of the kitchen counters. When I attempted again the plunger shot out again and ricocheted in the room I was in and I never found it again. I now have a different process for removing and installing the safety that will prevent parts from being lost again.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Usually try to do all my takedowns on a white towel since it does a pretty good job of catching parts and keeping them from bouncing. In the same vein my daughter lost a diamond stud earring somewhere in the house, we spent days searching for it, we even resorting to looking on our hands and knees with no luck. Finally out of desperation I vacuumed the entire house and took the bags to work where I have access to X-ray imaging equipment. I imaged the bags and found it in one of them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
recoil spring plug for one of my 1911's. Heard it hit something up in the rafters of the shop. Up the ladder crawled around for about an hour looking for it, spent another hour at ground floor looking for it, figured it might have fallen back to earth. Gave up the search and decided to solve the problem once and for all. Ordered a half dozen in SS from Midway. Haven't lost one since. However still haven't found the original.

Mike

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The recoil spring on my Taurus spectrum. Is very tough for a little gun. It's hard to put it back in. I have to use a needle nose vice grip to keep it compressed. The guide rod is steel. If it was plastic i would be afraid of gouging it. But anyways it has launched a few times. Didn't lose it yet.
I hate that little gun for that very reason. I remember the first time I took mine down. I was just like.. WHY? WHY would they not make this a captured assembly?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts