National Gun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I clean most of my semi-autos I clean the slide groves very carefully to remove any accumulated goop! I then oil thoroughly and wipe off the excess. I try the slide to insure it is operating smoothly.

My question is this, should I be putting a small amount of gun grease on the slide groves and the barrel link, instead of using regular gun oil?

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
I think it depends on the environment you are in on which one to use. Personally, I just use gun oil...it is my experience it will stay cleaner...at least around here.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My reason for bringing this up is that I read an article in a gun mag that said you should use a bit of grease here and there. The points that I mentioned were suggested in the article.

I have never used gun grease except on a gun I was going to store for a long period of time.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Sig,
Here's a "general" guideline I've picked up from various sources over the past nearly 50 years of shooting: For pistols:
For short range sessions - up to maybe 300 rounds - gun oil is sufficient lube - assuming you will then clean and relube the piece and you're shooting semi-auto and with pauses.
For long drawn out shooting sessions - over 300 - a dab of the "correct" high temp grease is better, especially for sustained full-auto or non-stop shooting.

The viscosity of the oil is much lower than grease and it will evaporate much more quickly, especially after things begin to heat up.
Grease is much more viscous and "high temp" grease will not run-off when things get really hot.

Grease holds gritty stuff - oil doesn't. Grease left in place for many range sessions can act as an abrasive medium.
Whatever you use, don't go overboard - light application (to manufacturer's recommendations) is best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts