National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to get some info on this bolt action. Not sure what it is. I can not find any markings other than some matching numbers. No words, no marks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,718 Posts
From the photos, it looks like a Lee-Enfield No. 1 maybe?

·
Registered
881 Posts
My GUESS----- 1893 (or maybe 1895) Spanish Mauser Cavalry Carbine. Usually they say Fabrica de Armas Oviedo Espana on the front receiver ring, along with a year. Original caliber was probably 7x57.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I agree it is probably a Mauser, but there are no crests or marking anywhere on the rifle. Even during a disassemble I found no interior marks.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Thank you, I agree it is probably a Mauser, but there are no crests or marking anywhere on the rifle. Even during a disassemble I found no interior marks.
Not unheard of to have no marks. Here is an interesting site with some info: Unmarked1916

A lot of these were converted to 7.62 CETME. If the bore looks like it measures over 7mm (.275") you might want to have it checked out by a gunsmith.

Yours is a cavalry carbine. Full wood to the barrel end and that round ring on a rail under the stock are clues.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
My in law has a .303 wildcat that looks similar......It mimicks the mauser.......Check with a smith......It can very well be a Spanish mauser....as we sit here and look at it....It also looks like that .303 wild cat.....Australian cut down Lee Enfield......Not enough in photos

1 - 7 of 7 Posts