National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here again.

Just bought a .22 rifle, now looking for cleaning solvents. Started looking around online and got overwhelmed real fast. Can hardly believe all the stuff available. How in the world do I know what to buy?

I was in a local store, and pretty much randomly picked up a small bottle of Hoppe's #9 solvent.

Any online vendors you would recommend?

Thanks for all help.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
For your .22cal Hoppes 9 should be fine. When done run a patch of CLP through it and wipe it down good with CLP and your Grandkids will be shooting that gun one day. Besure and put a drop on the bolt and trigger. :thumbsup:

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
It is unnecessary to clean the bore of a .22 rimfire (S, L, LR) rifle.

.22 rimfire ammunition is lubed, every single piece of it (except for .22 Magnum ammunition). This lube, usually a wax of some sort, keeps fouling soft. The barrel fouling never gets a chance to "set-up" and get hard. Therefore, every successive shot removes the fouling deposited by the preceding shot.

In fact, cleaning the bore will negatively effect the barrel's accuracy. The lube seems to "cure" the barrel over time (50 rounds, or so) and, in my experience, this adds to the barrel's accuracy potential. By cleaning the bore you remove this curing effect and you must start all over again.

Now, every ammunition manufacturer uses a slightly different lube formula so, when changing ammunition brands, the curing process must be begun again.

·
55,659 Posts
For everything else I use Hoppe's Elite.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I love the smell of Hoppe's in the morning.

It smells like...VICTORY...

(and yeah, She9, it beats the hell outta Aqua Velva!)

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Yes Hoppies is a wonderful frangrance, while being a great turn on, it can also be used an underarm deoderant, a dab behind the ears and on the wrist, and even a little bit behind the knee, and lets not forget about that very sensitive area between the big tow and the index toe.:biggrin5:
It is also a great cooking oil. You will never taste better rattle snake, :thumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is unnecessary to clean the bore of a .22 rimfire (S, L, LR) rifle.

.22 rimfire ammunition is lubed, every single piece of it (except for .22 Magnum ammunition). This lube, usually a wax of some sort, keeps fouling soft. The barrel fouling never gets a chance to "set-up" and get hard. Therefore, every successive shot removes the fouling deposited by the preceding shot.

In fact, cleaning the bore will negatively effect the barrel's accuracy. The lube seems to "cure" the barrel over time (50 rounds, or so) and, in my experience, this adds to the barrel's accuracy potential. By cleaning the bore you remove this curing effect and you must start all over again.

Now, every ammunition manufacturer uses a slightly different lube formula so, when changing ammunition brands, the curing process must be begun again.
Well I like that idea. I can keep the action clean and leave it at that.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
This here is a real woman...lol
No question about that. I felt some tingling when I read that! I have to watch getting too excited at my age!:biggrin5:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ahh yes Hoppes.

cures coughs colds and runny noses.

makes conception a wonder and child birth a pleasure.

·
55,659 Posts
Well I like that idea. I can keep the action clean and leave it at that.
That's what I do. Unless I notice a drop off in accuracy. Then the bore get cleaned.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I've gotten flamed on other forums for saying the same thing. Thing is, when I taught small arms in the AF, we had smallbores as well. We would clean them about every other week or so. So we're talking anywhere from 1K to 2.5K rounds between cleaning. We used standard black, waxy lubed ammo, either Win or Rem.

I do the same with my two Ruger 10/22s and my MkIIs, as well. I do clean up my S&W Mod 18 only because I like it to look good, but that's mostly external.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Everyday is a learning experience on the National Gun Forum!

I had never heard that story about cleaning the 22 calibers. Usually clean mine up within a day or two of shooting.

I do think that you have to clean up the chambers since there is an accumulation of unburned powder. Plus the bolt and extractor get to looking pretty gross.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
IMHO an unclean gun is well....unclean and a malfunction waiting to happen. You guys got any idea how many "my extractor must be broken" complaints have been fixed by a good cleaning?

Shame on you for not cleaning your guns....:nono::nono:

Well, back to the original topic. I use two cleaners. Hoppe's #9 and
MPro-7. The MPro really strips the heck out of goo and stuff. I use it for the really nasty cleaning jobs. I used it to soak a really badly lead impacted barrel. The barrel was left to soak for about an hour. I pushed a cleaning pacth over a jag through the barrel and the lead just peeled away in little curly qews. Way to expensive for every day use, that is what good old Hoppe's is for. And I have been known to whip up a batch of my modified Ed's Red from time to time.

·
55,659 Posts
IMHO an unclean gun is well....unclean and a malfunction waiting to happen. You guys got any idea how many "my extractor must be broken" complaints have been fixed by a good cleaning?
If you read my original post you will find that I am talking about the bores of .22 S, L & LR rimfire firearms. I also suggest that you have an honest talk with rimfire competitors. IF they will be honest with you (this is considered, somewhat, of a secret) they will cosign my statements.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
If you read my original post you will find that I am talking about the bores of .22 S, L & LR rimfire firearms. I also suggest that you have an honest talk with rimfire competitors. IF they will be honest with you (this is considered, somewhat, of a secret) they will cosign my statements.

I did, my ooops.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts