National Gun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
17,515 Posts
You need to know the load that is in the existing shells but you'll probably never find that info. Second you would need to know the load for the one you are doing. For this you would need a loading manual. The loads are almost guaranteed to not be the same and probably not even close. With the wrong loads you risk literally blowing your gun up along with your hands/face. Best advice I would give is to shoot the existing rounds and then reload them after you research the load you want. They can be loaded using some very basic hand tools and knowledge. I use tools like this to load black powder shotgun shells.
Hand tool Product Wood Tool Font

· Registered
17,515 Posts
Man, you've got the whole setup! What do you use for depriming?

Alan
That's not my stuff, just a internet pic. I don't use as much as shown because I use brass cases so no crimp needed. For depriming I can use some dies that mount in a rifle press. I mostly just use a dowel that has a small nail or something mounted in it and tap them out over a bench block. Being they are BP rounds I do that so I can clean them right away and not run some fouled up cases through my die.

· Registered
17,515 Posts
Keep looking. The shotshell reloaders I see in other forums are saying that the primers are hard to come by.

--Wag--
Many shotgun powders are also scarce. I use claydot and haven't been able to get any in quite some time. I ended up buying some clays so at some point I'll have to figure out another load.

Alan,
When I was a kid my dad ran a skeet/trap club in RI and they shot over a bluff at the ocean. The shoreline was littered with wads and my dad would have my brothers and I pick them up in trash bags. The guys would go through them and pick the brands they used and ones that didn't look too bad and reuse them. I seem to remember my dad talking about doing the primer thing as well. This was when stuff was cheap, back in 1980ish and I remember everyone mad when shot went from like $8 to $9 a bag.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts