National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to all this. Can someone help me with the best 9mm ammo that will stop someone without a lot of travel afterwards. I'm always concerned about what is in the other room or across the street if I get in a situation.

·
Former Tough Guy
117 Posts
For the most part, any top end commercial hollow-point 9mm "should" remain within a person given a solid COM hit.

They are designed to penetrate between 10-14 inches and expand. This transfers all of the bullet's energy into the target, and via the expansion, cause a larger permanent wound channel.

All of the major names make appropriate ammo. Specialty ammo like Glaser Safety Slugs, MagSafe and Extreme Shock (spelling?) are designed to dump their energy even faster...say within 5-7 inches and fragment, causing multiple wounds and seriously reducing the risk or amount of over-penetration. BUT, they may not penetrate deeply enough to sufficient damage organs and stop the attack.

So, a long winded partial answer..... :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I like Remington Golden Sabers, I have them in my 9mm,40sw and 357. Seems to be a well thought out bullet with a good amount of power behind it.

·
Former Tough Guy
117 Posts
I use Speer Gold Dot 124's in my Springfield XD

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
For the most part, any top end commercial hollow-point 9mm "should" remain within a person given a solid COM hit.

They are designed to penetrate between 10-14 inches and expand. This transfers all of the bullet's energy into the target, and via the expansion, cause a larger permanent wound channel.

All of the major names make appropriate ammo. Specialty ammo like Glaser Safety Slugs, MagSafe and Extreme Shock (spelling?) are designed to dump their energy even faster...say within 5-7 inches and fragment, causing multiple wounds and seriously reducing the risk or amount of over-penetration. BUT, they may not penetrate deeply enough to sufficient damage organs and stop the attack.

So, a long winded partial answer..... :)
Good post. And it was not so longwinded.

Be wary of personal opinions. Most people on this site are well versed in not only firearms but terminal ballistics. However we as gun folk tend to form an opinion on something and sometimes do not look at all the data. So always double check what you see here, you may just find that your opinion varies on the subject.

Another thing you need to look at when purchasing defense ammo is that projectiles expansion rate or explansion percentage. Some rounds do better than others, and even more some rounds do better in gel than flesh, and vice versa.

For example. Extremeshock (these numbers are from memory so they may be somewhat off, please check on your own for accuracy), fragments to 95 percent 70 percent of the time in gel. But only something like to 70% 40% of the time in flesh. Corbon DPX expands to 200% 65% of the time in gel, but near 300% 80% of the time in flesh. There are rounds out there that will expand out to 500 or more percent in flesh, but while that is good, you also have to take into account the percentage of how often they expand. Some rounds as described above, while they work well when they expand, will not expand reliably.

Do not solely go by what is said here, or what you read on a companies website, and always ALWAYS be wary of a company that tests their rounds in ballistic wax or clay.

There are several sites out there dedicated to the study of terminal ballistics and wound ballistics study. Google them, check them out and have a good read.

I kind of like tacticalworks.com.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use the hydro shock in my 9mm but the gold dot from what I have read is suppose
to be a very good round
If using a 45 the hydro shock is suppose to have one shot stopping power not matched by anything else
biggest problem is getting points so you can reload your own

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
9mm stopping power

There are no "magic bullets"...9x19mm ammo has been around for 106 years - modern technology has produced very capable "expanding" jacketed hollow point ammo - but one loading may and probably will react differently with each and every encounter. Remington Golden Sabers are "supposedly" the most effective of the commercially loaded standard self defense rounds, the worst being ANY full metal jacket round nose projectile no matter what the weight of the bullet. They have been described as "remote control knitting needles". The "custom" loads for the Glaser, MagSafe, PowerBall, BeeSafe, etc. fragmenting rounds are good for indoor use where misses and wall penetration may injure someone besides the perp - but the bleed out caused by the massive shallow wound caused by these rounds can take some time during which the perp can react in a very violent way. Shot placement of expanding rounds in a vital area that is likely to result in damage to the central nervous system are the most effective. I know one gentleman who was previously involved in "security" work who put a .357 Magnum JHP round through the heart of a rather large man and was subsequently nearly strangled to death before the perp expired from lack of blood to the brain. No matter what you read or hear, the best tactic is to shoot and keep shooting until the threat stops being threatening. If the circumstances surrounding the shooting are "clean" you will be exhonerated.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I like the cor-bon stuff a lot. The DPX is very effective.

That said I have a lot of different defensive ammo in my stock. Golden Saber, Hydra Shok, Silvertips, Black Talon, etc. They all work pretty good and if you can hit your target they will stop a threat.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I like Speer Gold Dots but I must admit I have never tested them myself. All I can say is that they work good in my pistol.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Best ammo?

What Baldy says is the core of the argument. You find what ammo is the most reliable and most accurate in your particular firearm - that is the best for you. The major brands' SD ammo offerings (JHP) are pretty much equal in performance, now-a-days. You can't go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like to carry what my local Police Department uses, 147gr Winchester Ranger T. Always had good luck with them and have seen what they do inside a Texas hog. Bout the only source these days is www.ccwammo.com

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I recommend using what shoots best in your particular firearm. Bear in mind that no ammunition choice absolves you of the responsibility of making sure of what is beyond your target, even in a self-defense situation. You might very well miss, after all, even if using the mythical perfect bullet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts