National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting my research for buying a .45 acp double stack handgun. I don't necessarily need it to conceal. I already have a conceal carry. I am looking for something reliable, good build around $500-$600.

I thought about 1911 and honestly, if I am going to buy one itll be a higher end model in the $1200 range. But for now I am looking around for something else. This needs to satisfy my need for something with more power.

I have 9mm glocks. I am not looking to add another glock. I am debating on Springfield XDM with threaded barrel and raised sights or a Smith and Wesson MP 2.0 in 45.

I have not looked into Sig or any other brand for that matter. If it has night sights, awesome, if not oh well. The ability to be interchangeable like the Glocks would be nice but not necessary.

Let me know your thoughts and why you would recommend a certain gun.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
28,596 Posts
Fn fnx-45

Reactions: Kobs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fn fnx-45
My buddy had an fnx 9mm and for whatever reason always had to really work at getting consistently good with that pistol and after he shot my Glock 17 for the first time in over 6 months and it being more instinctive then the gun he shot weekly. Im not too sold on those unless there is more to them that I don't know about. I guess I am not my friend and naturally shoot well with almost any gun I pick up.
What made you say fnx 45? Any feature in particular?

·
5,082 Posts
On my preferences and budget you provided, I would go today to a Academy Sports store, and get a Springfield XDM full size 4.5", 13 round pistol at $599.00 ..currently with 2 mags...store offering 4 mags, holster, case with any Springfield purchase. Have fired similar at range and I like it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On my preferences and budget you provided, I would go today to a Academy Sports store, and get a Springfield XDM full size 4.5", 13 round pistol at $599.00 ..currently with 2 mags...store offering 4 mags, holster, case with any Springfield purchase. Have fired similar at range and I like it.

Honestly I like the idea of that gun, everything I've seen and read points me to it. I like the grip safety on it, threaded barrel, 6 mags with the current offer, and it's a double stack mag. I have never shot one so im hoping it's good. I've held one and they seem pretty ergonomic.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,755 Posts
I have an M&P45 (1.0) with an Apex trigger and like it a lot. It's my nightstand gun. Cant speak for any of the others.
Also, the ​Ruger SR1911 is an excellent >$1000 1911.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got my FNX-45 because it's complete, right out of the box. Just fit the proper back-strap

for your hand size( they're provided) and it's ready to go. I use a non-tac, for carry. IMO,

it points well, shoots accurately, and has a great safety/decocker (YES, Both, in one lever,

down to decock, and UP for safe) It carries well with a BlackJack size 03 OWB holster.

Nice and snug.

It also handles safety ammo (hollowpoints?) very well.

I like the decocker idea. I had one on a taurus and it was a nice feature to make the gun safe without dropping the mag and removing the loaded round every time.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
probably the most successful double stack 45 in LEO circles as far as popularity is the Glock 21.

i find the standard 21 just too big in the grip for me. I could probably get use to it with more range time and get accustomed to the size of the grip and grip angle/feel....but the initial turn-off was too great. I have not had range time with a 21sf or the gen 4 model 21.

There is the CZ97.......and that is another one that is just too big for me and too long of a trigger reach in da mode.

Been many years since i have tried a para ordinance stacked 1911....but from memory the grip was huge and not comfortable.

that leaves my best double stacked 45 experience to be the Springfield standard XD with the 5 inch barrel. If i was in the market for a double stack 45, this would be my choice. The gun fit me, was a soft shooter, accurate as all get out, and i appreciate its features such as the grip safety and the ambi mag release.

i still want some range time with a Sig p227.......but don;t know if i will ever get it as no one has one in my area.

Reactions: 1shot1k

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
28,596 Posts
My buddy had an fnx 9mm and for whatever reason always had to really work at getting consistently good with that pistol and after he shot my Glock 17 for the first time in over 6 months and it being more instinctive then the gun he shot weekly. Im not too sold on those unless there is more to them that I don't know about. I guess I am not my friend and naturally shoot well with almost any gun I pick up.
What made you say fnx 45? Any feature in particular?

I got my FNX-45 because it's complete, right out of the box. Just fit the proper back-strap

for your hand size( they're provided) and it's ready to go. I use a non-tac, for carry. IMO,

it points well, shoots accurately, and has a great safety/decocker (YES, Both, in one lever,

down to decock, and UP for safe) It carries well with a BlackJack size 03 OWB holster.

Nice and snug. The combat sights are low profile, yet easy to use.

Field strips easily for cleaning. Hammer forged barrel.

It also handles safety ammo (hollowpoints?) very well. 15+1 rounds. there's a good

reason the Brady Bunch hates FN. They make great guns.
Therewolf answered your question for me. Plus the FNX comes with three magazines. Don't be in a hurry to blame the pistol for your buddy's poor marksmanship.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have an M&P45 (1.0) with an Apex trigger and like it a lot. It's my nightstand gun. Cant speak for any of the others.
Also, the ​Ruger SR1911 is an excellent >$1000 1911.

They pretty much fixed the trigger in the 2.0 from my understanding. I have to read more into it. How many rounds did that gun hold again? I can't remember off the top of my head.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
probably the most successful double stack 45 in LEO circles as far as popularity is the Glock 21.

i find the standard 21 just too big in the grip for me. I could probably get use to it with more range time and get accustomed to the size of the grip and grip angle/feel....but the initial turn-off was too great. I have not had range time with a 21sf or the gen 4 model 21.

There is the CZ97.......and that is another one that is just too big for me and too long of a trigger reach in da mode.

Been many years since i have tried a para ordinance stacked 1911....but from memory the grip was huge and not comfortable.

that leaves my best double stacked 45 experience to be the Springfield standard XD with the 5 inch barrel. If i was in the market for a double stack 45, this would be my choice. The gun fit me, was a soft shooter, accurate as all get out, and i appreciate its features such as the grip safety and the ambi mag release.

i still want some range time with a Sig p227.......but don;t know if i will ever get it as no one has one in my area.

The Glock is almost a given for me, I know I'd love it. I swear by my 17 and want to get the 21. Im waiting for Magpul to make high cap mags for the 21. I haven't held either the 21 or 21 SF. Im a tall dude with big hands so frames being bigger is almost preferred.

Good to hear about the trigger on the cz97. Is CZ the same company that makes the Canik? I held a Canik and it seemed like a nice gun for the price, only thing I did not get
Used to was the trigger. I dry fired it in a shop and it's really wierd. It has 2 steps to it, remove the play, click, then pull and boom. I couldn't get comfortable with the first stage
I expected the trigger to break at that point. The decocker on the top of the slide was big and felt out of place but seemed like a nice feature.

Thanks for the insight!
So far Springfield XD or xdm has come up again. IM leaning towards that gun now. I have to look into Sig and Ruger yet but might favor Springfield with their mag special going on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Therewolf answered your question for me. Plus the FNX comes with three magazines. Don't be in a hurry to blame the pistol for your buddy's poor marksmanship.
Yeah, you're right. He is a bit of a 1911 slut. Every handgun other than my Glock and his 1911 he had a hard time with. I shot it decent enough. I'll have to find one locally in 45 and check it out more. Im not
Sure how much bigger the frame is than the 9mm version. Good to know it has 3 mags. What was the capacity?

Thanks for your insight!

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
If size is not a factor for carrying the gun, FNX, FNP, Springfield XD, CZ, Walther PPQ, various Sig's, various HK's.

It kills me to say Glock as I personally dislike them but I will give credit where credit is due. Glocks are good guns. I personally just don't care for them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If size is not a factor for carrying the gun, FNX, FNP, Springfield XD, CZ, Walther PPQ, various Sig's, various HK's.

It kills me to say Glock as I personally dislike them but I will give credit where credit is due. Glocks are good guns. I personally just don't care for them.
Thank you! I totally forgot about Walther. I just read up on it a little bit, I like the sounds of the short trigger travel on it and the pull weight is similar to my Glock.

I just have to read up on HK and sig now unless there is more out there.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.