National Gun Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking into getting one for some time now and I've been looking at getting some of the smaller compact carry shotguns. I don't have any real experience with them however so if you have any advice on the matter that would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know a thing or two about them but I've never shot one before, I wouldn't want to just go out and grab say a 12 gauge and end up dislocating my shoulder on my first shot. I know most people will start with a 20 or even a 410 but again my experience with them is very limited at best.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Forgive me, Do you mean by HD as in Home Defense? I don’t think I’ve seen that abbreviated. Generally shotguns are considered long guns. A compact shotgun is still 18” or more before you consider the stock. Certainly not considered a carry gun unless you live in a really rural area where carrying a firearm is wise due to needing to rely on yourself. (Alaska, Texas, AZ, NM, Wy and CO (and a bunch of remote areas in other states.

A good way to get comfortable with shotguns is to shoot trap, skeet and sporting clays. It’s pretty easy to take 100 shots in 2 hours and no dislocated shoulders with 12 gauges. You do have to shoulder the gun properly so you don’t bruise yourself. I have seen cheek bruises as well on people who didn’t handle it assertively.

If you are worried about recoil, there are two simple fixes in addition to a good recoil pad, 1) pick a gas operated semi auto like a Remington 1100 or a Beretta 300/400. The gas diverted to cycle the action reduces the recoil felt.
The other strategy is go heavy, ie a double barrel. The stationary weight burns more energy before it gets to the shooter vs a single shot.

For home defense, I generally recommend a pump shotgun, mainly because their reliability is quite high.

You still have to practice. If you have to think when you are in a home defense situation, you are in trouble. It needs to be fast & smooth. You need to be 100% focused on the threat and verifying the threat is a threat. not trying to remember how to load, pump or manipulate the safety.

Given your exposure to shotguns is from a distance, go to a local gun store and get some suggestions on training options, or the local Clays club.

Best way to learn is to do.

Also be aware of your local government’s restrictions.. hopefully your state has castle doctrine in place.

Let us know how you proceed.

Safety first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
have had good luck with many pump guns.....stay mainstream....current favorite is the winchester sxp defender...

i have also used single shots....and some of my family members still do. 20 ga on my preference there......singles are great utility poor boy guns on the used market..

·
Aim true !
11,376 Posts
Before buying more guns. Save up to move. Your going to need 1st months rent plus a security deposit. That is usually equil to a months rent. A lot of landlords these days. Want 1st and last month rent plus the security deposit.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgive me, Do you mean by HD as in Home Defense? I don’t think I’ve seen that abbreviated. Generally shotguns are considered long guns. A compact shotgun is still 18” or more before you consider the stock. Certainly not considered a carry gun unless you live in a really rural area where carrying a firearm is wise due to needing to rely on yourself. (Alaska, Texas, AZ, NM, Wy and CO (and a bunch of remote areas in other states.

A good way to get comfortable with shotguns is to shoot trap, skeet and sporting clays. It’s pretty easy to take 100 shots in 2 hours and no dislocated shoulders with 12 gauges. You do have to shoulder the gun properly so you don’t bruise yourself. I have seen cheek bruises as well on people who didn’t handle it assertively.

If you are worried about recoil, there are two simple fixes in addition to a good recoil pad, 1) pick a gas operated semi auto like a Remington 1100 or a Beretta 300/400. The gas diverted to cycle the action reduces the recoil felt.
The other strategy is go heavy, ie a double barrel. The stationary weight burns more energy before it gets to the shooter vs a single shot.

For home defense, I generally recommend a pump shotgun, mainly because their reliability is quite high.

You still have to practice. If you have to think when you are in a home defense situation, you are in trouble. It needs to be fast & smooth. You need to be 100% focused on the threat and verifying the threat is a threat. not trying to remember how to load, pump or manipulate the safety.

Given your exposure to shotguns is from a distance, go to a local gun store and get some suggestions on training options, or the local Clays club.

Best way to learn is to do.

Also be aware of your local government’s restrictions.. hopefully your state has castle doctrine in place.

Let us know how you proceed.

Safety first.

Well I live in AZ so I'm good as far as owning and carrying weapons including shotguns as well as other long guns. Ok so look for a pump action and get some training as well, got it. Thanks 👍

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before buying more guns. Save up to move. Your going to need 1st months rent plus a security deposit. That is usually equil to a months rent. A lot of landlords these days. Want 1st and last month rent plus the security deposit.
Oh yes definitely, mostly just seeing what's available for when I get my place.

·
Aim true !
11,376 Posts
After all the mayhem settles from covid 19 and the riots. You should be able to get a better deal on a shot gun. Than you would now. Not sure how things will be if Joe Biden wins though.

Reactions: mjcmichigan

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Get a home first then worry about defending it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I picked up a Panzer Arms bullpup 12 gauge semi-auto. It took 2 boxes of ammo to brake it in. Now it runs as long as you use ammo that is 1200 fps or better. NO low recoil stuff. With a 10 round magazine more than enough for home defense.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I picked up a Panzer Arms bullpup 12 gauge semi-auto. It took 2 boxes of ammo to brake it in. Now it runs as long as you use ammo that is 1200 fps or better. NO low recoil stuff. With a 10 round magazine more than enough for home defense.
Is that a 10 round clip or a magazine?

If 10 rounds is not enough, that would be quite the onslaught.

·
Registered
214 Posts
A clip is something a women uses in her hair a magazine holds ammo. But to use the term I believe you mean it is a clip. Going back to my time with Uncle Sam's tour of South East Asia when it hits the fan you gun is never big enough and you never have enough ammo.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
12,909 Posts
My HD shotgun is a 18 inch Remington 870 tactical.

It appears to me that a Panzer Arms 12ga bullpup uses a magazine not a clip.

Magazine vs. Clip...

Reactions: Leadfinger

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am not sure if you have made your mind up but any sort of shotgun, carbine or long gun generally have their own set of inherent issues regarding their use in close quarters. Issues which are often mitigated when someone is working with a team or at least having others at their back. I am not sure of your situation but using a shotgun as a primary Home Defense weapon would probably be near the bottom of my list. It can certainly do the job.. but as a lone person ( single defender) inside a home, I would want something more wieldy and something easier to retain if things go really bad. Anyone who has been through weapon retention training can tell you that there is a substantial difference in keeping a handgun in the fight and keeping a long gun in the fight [if] some yahoo manages to gets in close (let alone gets a hold of it). Add a sling to the mix and now you have a lasso which can be used against you.

You get to decide what is good for you. Good luck

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I already have a couple of revolvers for SD, but I keep hearing that getting a long gun would be better for HD. Plus I do want to get into Shotguns and Rifles at some point and I might as well get something that I can use for HD. Honestly I've been thinking of going with the Remington Tac V-3 shorty shotgun, it holds only five shells I believe but it is a twelve gauge so it's not a slouch in the stopping power department.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
12,909 Posts
As mentioned, my HD shotgun is a Remington but at the moment and even the foreseeable future I would not buy any firearms from Remington.
They are having serious, most likely insurmountable, issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts