National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
According to several rumors, the AR-15 is known to be the 15th design by Eugene Stoner. Reportedly, the 15 in the name stood for the caliber size. But no! It was not. The AR-9 uses the 9 mm caliber. The 15 in the AR-15 denotes the caliber size. Jim Sullivan and Bob Fremont were two people who made the AR-10 rifle. The AR-15 is indeed an exciting weapon. It arrives in both the rifle and handgun versions.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,955 Posts
Hmmm. Your copy-and-paste logic seems faulty.
AR-9 = 9mm = 9x19mm... oaky
AR-15 = 15mm = 5.56x45mm... nope
AR-10 = 10mm = 7.62x51mm... nope

Oh yeah. I removed the advertising spam from your post.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My sister-in-law "knows" that the 15, in AR-15 formally, means that her husband (i.e., my brother) is only allowed to own 15, AR models at any given moment. If he already has 15 of them, and wants a "new one," he has to divest his collection of at least one AR prior to acquiring another one.

As my brother often tells me, sometimes marriage means you have to compromise. :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
Most AR enthusiasts know that the AR stands for Arthur Riggins, the assistant to Eugene Stoner who without Stoners sense of fairness, wouldn’t have gotten any credit for his work. He knew it would have been called the Stoner, much like the M1Garand, after John Garand. The 15 designation stands for the magazine capacity that was first designed for the weapon. Riggins was adamant not to use a larger magazine because it would protrude way too far out the bottom and would get in the way. He felt that no one would ever need a gun that holds more than 15 bullets. Stoner knew they’d be facing AK47’s that had 30 round magazines. The more you know.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,307 Posts
Maybe we should tell the left that the AR stands for "Anti-Republican"? :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
14,229 Posts
Stoner probably wouldn’t have been a good choice of gun names in the 60s.

Alan

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
My sister-in-law "knows" that the 15, in AR-15 formally, means that her husband (i.e., my brother) is only allowed to own 15, AR models at any given moment. If he already has 15 of them, and wants a "new one," he has to divest his collection of at least one AR prior to acquiring another one.

As my brother often tells me, sometimes marriage means you have to compromise. :cool:
with that line of thinking......perhaps i need to tell my wife i want a remington 1100.... :unsure:

·
Registered
120 Posts
When I was an advisor in Viet Nam in 1970, we had a guy come to our Swift Boat base carrying what looked like an oversized M-16 with a grenade launcher attached. I asked him what it was and he replied it was a Stoner which shot 7.62X51mm NATO and 40mm grenades. I still want one.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
So it doesn't stand for Alt Right?......My mind is totally blown away right now.

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
I thought it meant 15 bullets at once. I haven't been able to get mine to do it, there must be some kinda of trick.

·
Registered
301 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmmm. Your copy-and-paste logic seems faulty.
AR-9 = 9mm = 9x19mm... oaky
AR-15 = 15mm = 5.56x45mm... nope
AR-10 = 10mm = 7.62x51mm... nope

Oh yeah. I removed the advertising spam from your post.
The op's spam was posted to multiple firearm sites.

This guy was banned over at Marlinowners... If you look at his about me page you will find a link as well...

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
318 Posts
I’ve always thought it meant to bring 15 magazines. I mean they go so fast and who wants to reload every time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts