National Gun Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes it is old. For general interest, the .32 ACP (7.65 Browning in Europe) was used by both police and military in Europe for decades. (Bond's PPK was chambered in this caliber.) Must have had some effectivity.
So did sticks and rocks

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
i would prefer penetration first.......expansion would be nice but i never count on it nor do i want to depend on it......though it would be nice if i got the penetration AND the expansion....Murphy's Law...

·
Registered
2 Posts
As someone that carries a kel-tec p32 almost daily in a pocket holster, I find the 32acp to be a superior mouse gun round over the 380acp, 25acp, and 22lr. It's significantly more accurate than the 380, it's far more powerful than the 25, and it's both more powerful and reliable than the 22lr providing one uses the correct magazine to prevent rim-lock. While I feel that the 380 is quite a bit more powerful, it doesn't reliably expand when fired from a short barrel; therefore, the 32's accuracy advantage trumps the 380's power advantage in a mouse gun IMO.

With that being said, I would take a 380 in a sub-compact over a 32 any day of the week. I own a Glock 42 in 380, and it is extremely accurate for a small handgun unlike my kel-tec P-3AT was, due to the fact that recoil is not a factor in my Glock 42. I got the Glock 42 for my wife because she tried a few sub-compact 380's and preferred them to the 9mm. She carried the Glock for a while, but eventually stole my Ruger sr-22 because she found it more enjoyable to practice with and shot it with incredible accuracy. She also liked the thumb safety. While 22lr is not ideal for a defense round, I sure wouldn't want to be on the business end of one loaded with a mag full of stingers.

Anyways, I got to thinking, what if they made a double-stack 32acp in a polymer sub-compact? Out of a 4" barrel, a hot 32acp HP would expand, the recoil would be minuscule, and capacity could easily be 15 rounds, while still keeping the gun thin enough to easily conceal. If this could be done "well" I can't imagine such a piece not being popular with recoil sensitive shooters.

Is there a market for this in your opinion?
I know this is a 5 year old post but I was thinking the same thing. However, I'm pretty sure .32acp would have rim lock issues in a double stack since it is a semi-rimmed case.

·
AZHerper
3,730 Posts
The 32 ACP is far from a mouse gun. I've posted this before but most people have the wrong idea about handgun stopping power.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
don't really know if the rimlock issue would be a problem with proper ammo and magazine design in a double stack.....

i have suffered rimlock one time and that was with a baby browning and the 25 acp........shooting Hornady she rim locked tighter than a bank vault.....after inspecting i discovered the hornady was actually not exactly spec in appearance on the rim or the groove compared to other brands of 25 acp and the oal came up short compared to other brands with fmj......i quit using hornady ftx 25 acp and never had another problem....no other rim lock issues in my other 25's all with fmj ammo....

just as well........hp and ftx ammo in the 25 is purty much wishful thinking.......would also probably be wishful thinking in the 32 as well....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, you are probably right. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone is going to go to the trouble of engineering a new mag for what would be either a pretty thick cc gun or a full size service pistol that had maybe a 3 or 4 round increased capacity over the current crop of 9x19 guns. I think the .32 is still a serviceable round especially with the new multi-faceted, solid copper projectiles now being produced. I'm seriously considering buying a CZ50 or CZ70 since they are still pretty cheap and are reportedly excellent shooters.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
317 Posts
What if they made a 32 double? You’d never find ammo, and it would cost more than an S&W 460 to shoot.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
good luck finding any ammo in any caliber at the moment........but 32 acp generaly runs 20 bucks per 50 in fmj......which in my opinion is the best choice in that rd.......

21 - 29 of 29 Posts