Gun Cashew
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
ruger........

smith and wesson........

various models and barrel lengths to choose from.

these two brands command market share due to their variety, options, reputation, excellent performance, durability, etc.

A host of holster options available due to their popularity, grip options, aftermarket sight options, etc.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,127 Posts
The Charter Arms offering does not belong on a list with the two other revolvers.

Of the three you've listed, I'd choose the Python.

Reactions: OhNoNotaGun

·
Registered
875 Posts
The Python would be a great choice if you can find and afford one. S&W L frame would also be a great choice also and much more reasonable price wise, as far a compact wheel gun with out shooting one first you might want to re-think this. Although I have several for me they are not for shooting for fun ( J frame S&W ). They are to me work or CC guns and usually have a good bite when shooting depending on the load. Ruger is also a great choice also and have several of those also. I am with Steve on the charter arms and have questions about Taurus, although I have one ( 44 Spl ) and it a great firearm but they have a reputation that is at best questionable.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I rise to defend Charter Arms. At least the Charter Arms of the Bridgeport and Stratford days. I've owned four .44 Bulldogs, still own one today. It lives in my car's center console. I can't speak for the Charco, Charter 2000, and the guns being made today in Shelton, but the earlier weapons were among the best kept open secrets on the market. Factory triggers, overall feel, accuracy and reliability were all excellent, especially considering the price. If I were in the market for another revolver, a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog would definitely be on my short list.

·
Gun Cashew
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Python would be a great choice if you can find and afford one. S&W L frame would also be a great choice also and much more reasonable price wise, as far a compact wheel gun with out shooting one first you might want to re-think this. Although I have several for me they are not for shooting for fun ( J frame S&W ). They are to me work or CC guns and usually have a good bite when shooting depending on the load. Ruger is also a great choice also and have several of those also. I am with Steve on the charter arms and have questions about Taurus, although I have one ( 44 Spl ) and it a great firearm but they have a reputation that is at best questionable.
I'll drop by the range and test out some L and J frames I know my buddies have. Thanks.

Take out a second mortgage and get the Python.
:) Sounds good to me!

·
Galactic Effectuator
525 Posts
Another gun to do what?

You've had several suggestions, all valid, but for different purposes.

A couple people suggested getting a Python. Which is fine, if you want a financial investment doubling as a safe queen, which you can never shoot if you want to get your investment back.

The Charter revolver is excellent for a concealment gun. I'd prefer an S&W revolver on a J or K frame size, but I'm a snob.

If you're going to hunt with it, you'll want something in a large caliber. The Ruger Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk comes to mind.

If you're starting a collection, decide what you want to collect. Then get more of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts