National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a small pistol for self defense for my 13 year old daughter. She's pretty strong but I still don't know what gun is best for her. I need help.

-Wildfury

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
What is it that you are actually looking for, a firearm for her to have at your home? Obviously she is not legal allowed to own a firearm at 13!

I would say a .380 or 9mm are probably the best. Might I suggest going to a shooting range and renting a few that she might be able to try, and a shooting course is a must!

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Most states only allow a minor to shoot in the presence of a parent or guardian.

Therefore, you should be able to defend her, and she--by law--should almost never be armed, excpet in your presence and at the range.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
I absolutely agree with what Glock27Bill has said. I'm still a little confused as to what you're asking for. Surely you are around and are able to defend her. Or is she alone at home a lot and that is why you're asking?!?!

I'm confused, and I think it's hard to give you a good answer...............

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I definitely agree with GlockBill and SheNine. Can she carry pepper spray, or something like that in your area legally, you may want to check with your local Police Dept.
I will be the first to admit I think young teens with cell phones makes me crazy, but if she has one that should be a good line of defense.
I am also curious as to why she/you think she should have a gun?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I absolutely agree with what Glock27Bill has said. I'm still a little confused as to what you're asking for. Surely you are around and are able to defend her. Or is she alone at home a lot and that is why you're asking?!?!

I'm confused, and I think it's hard to give you a good answer...............
We one mile from the mexican border and a lot of illegals and drug runners pass through our neighborhood and usually she's left at home with her brother but he lives in a R.V. outside of the house. Also the police department is 30 minutes away. so I think she needs to be able to defend herself. Just recently our neighbor tied up and shot and a couple of years ago another neighbor and his entire family was killed.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
I don't know..... not sure if a handgun in the hands of a 13-yr old is the best solution.

If the neighborhood is so unsafe it might be preferable to find another solution rather than leaving her alone, or her brother should at least make a better effort at keeping an eye out for her. How old is he?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know..... not sure if a handgun in the hands of a 13-yr old is the best solution.

If the neighborhood is so unsafe it might be preferable to find another solution rather than leaving her alone, or her brother should at least make a better effort at keeping an eye out for her. How old is he?
I agree with SheNine :thumbsup:

·
Registered
658 Posts
I am 9 miles from the border and had no problems other than illegals being seen. And we have the most illegal traffic of any state and county right in my county.
And so you had neighbor go nuts. It happens. What could have 13 year old done with a gun?
If you give that 13 year old a gun and she hurts someone you have a problem.
If you are that afraid don't leave the kids home alone.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe an alarm system with siren on roof or couple big dogs. The liability of a firearm left with a 13 year old sounds like trouble, could get child protective services involved if anyone found out. Just my 2 cents.--MP

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I don't know the details, of course, but it sounds as though there are a few issues here that do not lend themselves to being resolved merely with the possession of a gun by a 13-yr-old girl.

Starting with the location itself. I've lived close to the southern border in New Mexico and I would never leave a kid or even two kids by themselves where I was, and that was many yrs ago before MS13 or the other nonsense that's going on at the border today. I'm not passing judgement; as I said, I don't know all of the facts, but with the border situation as it is and as it will be for the next several years...No Way.

It wouldn't matter if the girl had a submachine gun and a black belt in karate, that's a bad place to leave a kid. Are you a rancher? Do you have an absolute requirement to live in such close proximity to such a dangerous place? It just seems as though there should be some safer solution.

Guns can start trouble and guns can end trouble, but your mere location seems to stack the deck against you.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm approximately 9 miles from the Mexican border here. We have no problems with the
undocumented people that traverse the area.

If you feel it is necessary to leave a 13 year old child at home alone, I suggest a 12 gauge
or 20 gauge.

In which state do you live? Some states have laws against minors possessing handguns.
You'll have to find out before you let her have a firearm of any size.

Good luck!

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,672 Posts
Federal law bans the possession of a hand gun by an individual under the age of twenty one unless that individual is accompanied by a responsible adult. Federal law also bans possession of a long gun by an individual under the age of eighteen unless that individual is accompanied by a responsible adult. An adult is someone over the age of twenty one. "Responsible" is another matter.

Your train of thought, if carried to its logical conclusion, will set up your daughter, and yourself, for a major fall. It would be wise to consider other options.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We one mile from the mexican border and a lot of illegals and drug runners pass through our neighborhood and usually she's left at home with her brother but he lives in a R.V. outside of the house. Also the police department is 30 minutes away. so I think she needs to be able to defend herself. Just recently our neighbor tied up and shot and a couple of years ago another neighbor and his entire family was killed.
Damn. I'd say a good gatling gun or chain gun for your neighborhood is in order.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Forgive me for being blunt....get the F*** out of there! Sounds like Compton in the early 90s is a safer neighborhood. If you absolutely have too, I'd suggest a 20 ga shotgun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts