National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a gun to defend my home that I can also concealed carry, however I want to use non-lethal rounds to incapacitate (but not kill) an attacker or home invader. I'm new to guns, ammo, and all that in general. If I'm ever in a situation where I need to use force, I'd rather have the police deal with it and just be able to incapacitate someone until the police get there. Any suggestions for a newbie? Thanks!

·
Live Free
2,873 Posts
First, let me say, welcome to NGF!

Now, what do you mean when you say non-lethal ammunition? Even rubber bullets can kill at close range. I would also ask, why do you wish to use a lethal weapon if you do not wish it to be lethal? There are other means besides guns...not nearly as effective, but there are other means (pepper spray, stun guns or a taser).

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Greetings And Welcome To The Forum

Get a net gun

·
Registered
894 Posts
Kimber makes a pepper spray pistol, and there is the Taser Pulse + . Bear spray, pepper spray, the ever popular Louisville Slugger?
They all have good and bad points. You need to think this through a bit. People carry a gun to deal with one situation--the threat of
immediate serious harm or death to themselves or others. In that situation NOTHING beats superior firepower and the will to use it.

AFAIK there is nothing in the way of non lethal rounds for a concealable firearm available.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
731 Posts
There's a newly developed, just out of the box, scientific breakthrough, that just became available to
enlightened buyers, everywhere.

It's called a "water pistol".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback guys! You guys are right that in a life or death situation / "immediate serious harm or death to themselves or others" as you mentioned I don't know how effective non-lethal would be. I guess what I'm looking for is "less lethal" instead of "non-lethal", essentially being able to reliably protect myself and my home until the police arrive. Assuming the chance of fatality is less, I guess I need a gun that can use rubber bullets?

As for why, a number of reasons, but I just don't want to kill anybody; I believe that I shouldn't have to use deadly force even if the attacker is -- all I want to do is reliably protect myself / my home / others until the police get there. Moreover, I also live in a state that's extremely anti-gun -- in fact, our concealed carry instructor told us that we can't use force against home invaders unless they pose a threat to our own personal safety (all we can do is watch them rob our property... unbelievable). All things considered, I want to be able to reliably incapacitate the intruder if he tries to attack in any way but with minimal chance to kill.

Taser seems to only work for about 30 seconds to give time to escape (according to their description), so it's not enough time to gather and escape with the entire family, especially if there's more than one attacker. Pepper spray gun is an interesting idea but it doesn't seem to have that good of a range especially outdoors. So I guess rubber bullets are the way to go?

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
there is a reason that law enforcement carries firearms........to protect themselves and others by means of lethal force.

less-lethal means of defense has been used for decades.....batons, gas, tasers, riot gloves, bean bag rounds, rubber bullets, etc.......sometimes it works....sometimes it does not. And that is why law enforcement still carries real firearms......

we are still a long ways from the "phaser set to stun" notion of fuzzy bunnies and rainbows compared to real life and hard choices..........

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Even a gun with regular ammo isn't a guarantee to stop or incapacitate an intruder. it's going to depend on shot placement, the advantage of surprise and if they are armed or not and who is better or faster. It certainly levels the playing field versus being unarmed, why would you want to lower the playing field? I would prefer the police to handle all my problems too but they are costly and too heavy to carry around and the room and board is costly too!! I think the average response time in the U.S. is just under 10 minutes......

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
The “victim’s” lawyer will love you. Non lethal is an invitation to get sued. Dead men don’t testify. If you are in such danger that you have to incapacitate an assailant, then it’s time to take their life. Ether way lethal or non lethal, it’s a grave and serious decision. Get a dog and be aware of your surroundings.

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
8 out of 10 people shot with a handgun survive, mostly due to poor shot placement. Handguns aren't death rays.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
You need high walls, barbed wire fences, cameras and lights out the ying yang, burglar bars, tempered shatterproof windows, steel/reinforced doors, multiple dead bolts, an alarm system and a panic room.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not worried about getting sued, since they shouldn't be robbing my home in the first place. Doubt any sane jury would side with them.

Regardless, I appreciate all the feedback. At this stage, I'd simply like to buy a handgun that works with rubber bullets. I understand that even lethal weapons may not incapacitate someone, and rubber bullets even less so, but I'm still going to go with the rubber bullet ammo, despite it resulting in an uneven playing field vs. someone with more lethal ammo.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a handgun for new owners that works with rubber bullets plus can be concealed carried?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
You live in a fantasy world but then again peace of mind even very unrealistic beliefs has value. You will be happy feeling safe and righteous up until the time you get pummeled to within an inch of your life or die a painful death. I hope that's all that happens hate to see you suffer watching your wife, mother daughter getting raped. You also need to wake up and understand what the legal system is capable of. Even defending yourself against any legal action that you win could bankrupt you.

I've updated my suggestion get a magic wand and pixie dust. Make sure to get the soft rubber bullets too.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Welcome to the National Gun Forum! I believe they're name is New Engand Rifle FFLl. Shoots advanced "smart" projectiles up to 35 yards bout 105 feet and don't over penetrate an object. Light weight easy carry and come in tons of colors, if that's you thing. I like what Ford said ..they can any color they want. Just as long as its black." or something similar to that. Here's their link - https://nerf.com/en-us

Ok now joking put off. Everyone here has given good insight. I have some to put forth as well, mostly sides with the others, though no time right now to go threw them with you. When I get home later I will be serious and help giving why non lethal might be very poor judgement. In the mean time if you do get one of the New England Rifle FFL"weapons" you'll find they are very fun! I like them myself.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
A dog, pepper spray, taser and a baseball bat should cover your bases. You NEVER "shoot to wound"; you shoot to stop the threat - period!

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,927 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Learn martial arts or something, but stay away from any type of firearms. It appears that you do not have the proper mindset.
Its ok not everyone should have a gun, you know your limitations.
Having one, even a non lethal one will most likely just be use against you when you lose the fight to a superior opponent.
That is why real firearms are called equalizers

1 - 20 of 72 Posts