National Gun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, im a 14 year old, and my dream job is to become a police officer
im looking to get into begging it with learning how to use my first gun, my dad wants me to use a hunting rifle
however im looking for something a more police friendly gun, like a pistle
any ideas for what i should get?

· Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
Better English teacher first. Second listen to your dad, a good 22lr rifle for squirrel hunting is one very good place to start. Youre jumping the gun so to speak with wanting to go straight for the big boy "toys". You'll only hurt yourself or others without learning, practicing, and patience. If your father feels you're not ready yet then listen to him. Baby steps, you're 14 and have lots to learn. No use in jumping into an F-15 when you didn't even master making paper airplanes.

There's a LOT more to being a good police officer then some firearm. Least you're not some kid wanting to be some youtuber with stars in their eyes. This is a good start. You'll do fine if you listen to your dad.

· Live Free
4,509 Posts
Becoming a police officer is a great aspiration! Police officers are like military in that they have superiors over them whom they need to listen to and obey in carrying out their duties...you could prepare your self for the rigors of police duty by being obedient to your dad right now. Learn to shoot the rifle with your dad, pay close attention and learn to shoot it the best you possibly can.

· Live Free
4,509 Posts
Doesn't that apply to any job?

And please don't compare the police to the military.....these are two completely different jobs.
Wow! Yes, typically we all have someone over us, but the OP has aspirations of being a police officer. I did not make a broad brush comparison of military and police being the same, only in the fact that police officers have superiors they need to obey. The point being the OP could practice listening to others over him now, like his dad! But, it is common for police forces to use a rank structure similar to military structure, so the comparison in this point is valid.
Sorry if you do not appreciate how I expressed the idea, but you are free to post what you think might be helpful in your own words, like I did.

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,019 Posts
Do your homework and study to get good grades. Police work involves a lot of paperwork, writing reports, etc.

As far as training with firearms, you have your answer, start off with a .22LR rifle. After you learn proper gun safety and become proficient with your .22LR rifle, you can move on to other calibers and maybe a pistol.

Reactions: HammerSnow

· Registered
507 Posts
Have you thought about getting a pellet pistol ? They make some that are replicas of real firearms. They are great for training trigger pull, aiming, and safe handling, etc. They are fairly cheap and you can shoot them inside ( garage, basement) and the ammo is cheap. As far as rifles go, there are some fine pellets guns available too. Just a thought.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
you are a juvenile.....you technically have no right or access to firearms less it be with your parent's permission/supervision.

Your daddy is in the drivers seat...not you...enjoy the ride and the direction he takes you.

But........as the Australia Flag that appears under your name indicates....you are perhaps from Australia.......and if that is the case then that means this is a troll bait thread for amusement.......as there is a bunch of regulations to having a "police style" handgun to begin with (if at all) outside of a pistol club...period.

· Registered
1,370 Posts
you are a juvenile.....you technically have no right or access to firearms less it be with your parent's permission/supervision.
Your daddy is in the drivers seat...not you...enjoy the ride and the direction he takes you.
But........as the Australia Flag that appears under your name indicates....you are perhaps from Australia.......and if that is the case then that means this is a troll bait thread for amusement.......as there is a bunch of regulations to having a "police style" handgun to begin with (if at all) outside of a pistol club...period.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.