National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Oregon the state decides where you can pack a gun and you can carry in a bar. If you have a license, you can carry in the schools as long as you are not an employee.

Now booze and guns don't mix real well but on the other hand lots of trouble can occur in a bar or in the parking lot adjacent to a bar. Do you think its a good idea to pack your gun when visiting a bar??

What would you do? Would you choose to carry or leave your gun in the car/truck??
 

·
Angry Citizen
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
What would I do? I wouldn't drink. Don't have to worry about going to the bars then. One time getting pulled over with alcohol in my system is all it takes for the state to make sure I don't have a CCW in the next 10 years. It's not a risk I'm willing to take.
 

·
Right Wing Zealot
Joined
·
1,228 Posts
Considering in most states it is illegal to possess a firearm while intoxicated, I would say 'No'

I have broke up millions of bar fights...with the emotion and poor judgment that alcohol brings, there would be more dead innocent patrons than those who chose to 'duel' in the first place. I definately would expect more officers shot in the line of duty breaking up fights between people in bars if civilains were allowed to carry in a liquor establishment.

Alcohol = No car keys and no guns......trust me!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,547 Posts
Cake said:
What would I do? I wouldn't drink. Don't have to worry about going to the bars then. One time getting pulled over with alcohol in my system is all it takes for the state to make sure I don't have a CCW in the next 10 years. It's not a risk I'm willing to take.


Good choice. For those, who DO have a drinking problem a different story...... Many people I know drink pretty heavy. They DO carry into a bar. I on the other hand dont bring a gun with me. I dont like the whole drinking and having a gun at the same time.


I tend to leave the two apart...
 
G

·
I have done more than my share of drugging and drinking, and I have never "lost control" over myself, I have pulled my gun out maybe three times in 20 years, and so far I have never had tro actually fire it off to make my point. On the opposite side I have had at least ten people pull a gun on me at one time or another, I always did what they said and I haven't been shot yet.

Thing is there are people who can talk on the phone and drive the car, then again there aren't too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,424 Posts
Not “no”, but HELL NO!
Absolutely not, under any circumstances, if you are going to the bar to drink -- no matter how much or little -- it's a bad decision. It's been a few more years since I rolled on bar disturbances than SBH, but some things don't change.

How many bad-news scenarios do you want to consider? The patron who thinks he's defending the honor of a female being slapped by a male? A drunk trying to break into a car he THINKS is his? A tanked-up manly-man who is going to "help" the police called on another incident that he knows nothing about but is going to be a hero? Or even -- and this has happened -- a situation in which he would otherwise be justified in using deadly force, and even the slightest BAC is going to draw the scrutiny of investigators AND be capitalized on by the attorney for the poor aggrieved wife whose husband was shot/killed?

In my state your CHL is essentially null and void the moment you pass through the door of an establishment that serves alcohol. The clincher here is that you can also be charged with a Fourth-Degree Felony (18 months in jail / $5,000 fine). We are not even allowed to carry in a restaurant with a beer and wine license as most of the pizza chains as well as most of the nicer restaurants have. The law states any establishment that dispenses alcohol. Further, a person who is under the influence, regardless where s/he is (bar or not) and whether or not in possession of a CHL, can be charged with misdemeanor Negligent Use of a Firearm (up to a year in jail + $1,000 fine).
 

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
Joined
·
55,659 Posts
Drinking and carrying a firearm is one of the few things that is stupider to do than drinking and driving.
 
G

·
I think that guns & drinks should be seperate. I don't need a drunk pulling a gun in a bar & shooting everyone in the area except the person of aim. You can't have the required control of yourself or your weapon if you're hammered! Leave 'em in the car!
-Matt
 

·
Pro Gun Advocate
Joined
·
10,940 Posts
My dad would never let us hunt if there were others around drinking beer. And I won't shoot around foks who are drinking, it's just stupid. Shooting is my favorite hobby, but can also be lethal...it's not a game.

In Virginia we have no bars, per se. The law requires that a certain food/alcohol ratio be sold in order for a restaurant to keep their alcohol license.

In Virginia you cannot conceal carry in any estbalishment that serves alcohol for consumption on premises, but you CAN open carry. We also have laws prohibiting being intoxicated while armed...no one can argue with that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
785 Posts
I agree with everyone, if you are going to drink, you should not be carrying a gun. However, in Ohio you can't carry into any establishment that has a license to dispense alcohol by the drink. So even though I have a CCW, I cannot carry into the local Applebee's and enjoy a steak and an ice tea.

There is a debate in Ohio whether you can carry at a Lion's Club pig roast if the Club received a permit to serve beer at this special event.

Shouldn't drink and drive, shouldn't drink and carry, buy why can't I carry where drinking is occuring around me?

E
 
G

·
I agree with all of you as far as keeping drinking and guns apart but i do want to say that if my uncle didnt have a gun strapped to his leg while he was in a bar he would be dead. This was about 25 years ago in Williamsport, PA and him and his brother (my other uncle) were coming out of a bar after shooting pool for a league. They were on their way back to the truck when a guy who had started in the bar with them about something stupid jumped out and stabbed my uncle 12 times. In the head, back, face and upper arms. My uncle is 6'3" and back then could bench press over 400 lbs but still was no match for a steel blade. My uncle finally got to his gun and shot the guy right in the family jewels 2 times. Absolutely saved his life!!
 
G

·
gunrnr said:
Further, a person who is under the influence, regardless where s/he is (bar or not) and whether or not in possession of a CHL, can be charged with misdemeanor Negligent Use of a Firearm (up to a year in jail + $1,000 fine).
[/b][/u][/b][/color]

Gunrnr,
what happens if you are at home and have had a few drinks when someone busts your door down and wants to kill you. Does the law prevent you from defending yourself? In Florida, you can carry in a restaurant as long as you are not at the bar side of the room, you can not carry in an establishment that is primarily alcohol and not food.
 

·
Pro Gun Advocate
Joined
·
10,940 Posts
blp5172 said:
I agree with all of you as far as keeping drinking and guns apart but i do want to say that if my uncle didnt have a gun strapped to his leg while he was in a bar he would be dead. This was about 25 years ago in Williamsport, PA and him and his brother (my other uncle) were coming out of a bar after shooting pool for a league. They were on their way back to the truck when a guy who had started in the bar with them about something stupid jumped out and stabbed my uncle 12 times. In the head, back, face and upper arms. My uncle is 6'3" and back then could bench press over 400 lbs but still was no match for a steel blade. My uncle finally got to his gun and shot the guy right in the family jewels 2 times. Absolutely saved his life!!
And that's the argument that we continue to make here in Virginia regarding CCing in a restaurant.

Although my area is relatively crime-free, there have been cases elsewhere in the state of peope being attacked on the way out to their vehicles. And like many of you, I don't drink at all, just as you would not drink while carrying.

We all carry 'just in case' something bad is visited upon us, so the thought of being somewhere without protection is as foreign to us as carry a gun at all is to others.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,424 Posts
blp5172 said:
Gunrnr,
what happens if you are at home and have had a few drinks when someone busts your door down and wants to kill you. Does the law prevent you from defending yourself? In Florida, you can carry in a restaurant as long as you are not at the bar side of the room, you can not carry in an establishment that is primarily alcohol and not food.
That's a good question. It doesn't come under any of the statutes or the rules that apply to our CHLs. We have the right to protect ourselves in our homes, regardless. Even though N.M. does not have a "Castle Doctrine" law, our case law is clear that if you shoot someone on your property whom you perceive to be a threat to your life or the lives of others, you're not going to be prosecuted criminally. Using that example, also, I think an attorney trying to recover damages for the BG's estate is going to have a weak argument if he brings up the fact that you were drinking. One has the right to expect to be safe in one's home, regardless of his/her sobriety.

NOW, your example is one of a BG breaking into your domicile. Disregard the entire answer if you change the scenario to one where the person you shoot is the person you were drinking with. That changes just about everything.
 
G

·
What would I do? I wouldn't drink. Don't have to worry about going to the bars then. One time getting pulled over with alcohol in my system is all it takes for the state to make sure I don't have a CCW in the next 10 years. It's not a risk I'm willing to take.
amen until you get caught w your "pants down, im a responsible citizen who doesnt drink but to not be able to protect myself in a situation where oters dont respect the law i guess i should just stay home.concealed means concealed right?
 

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting.

I went into a favorite bar with my wife last night. Its a favorite place for the Harley clubs to hang out. I had my kel-tec 380 P3AT in my front pocket. It was about 4pm and we had a nice cheeseburger, salad and one Coors Light and then went home. We went for the food and not to get hammered. I would only do that at home!

I had no compulsion to pull that gun and wave it around, nobody was causing trouble and I was perfectly legal in Oregon. Yea! I had the gun with me most of the day and it was nice not to have to leave it in the car to enter the bar. No felony issues in Oregon, unless of course, you pull that gun and are drunk.

But I do agree with you that common sense has to weigh in in these matters. Had I been going to the same place after 9pm to drink myself into a stupor, I would not have taken a firearm along. I don't drink to excess out in bars, ever. Don't need a DUI and have never had that experience.

It is crazy that all the state laws are all so different. I still have trouble believing that anyone who goes to the trouble to get a license, fingerprinted, photo taken and takes the proper classes would be stupid enough to yank out that gun in a bar unless attacked and in fear of ones life. I have more faith in the individuals that carry guns I guess. Maybe I am wrong, but I think most individuals have the common sense to do the right thing, even after having a drink or two. Licensed individuals know that getting drunk and packing guns is stupid and I think they will avoid that at all costs.
 

·
Right Wing Zealot
Joined
·
1,228 Posts
sig232 said:
I have more faith in the individuals that carry guns I guess. Maybe I am wrong, but I think most individuals have the common sense to do the right thing, even after having a drink or two.
I normally would agree, but in today's society there are now a whole bunch of scum that are completely out of control, have no common sense and are void in the concept of personal responsibility. These constantly increasing laws and social programs are created because of them and things 'normal people' used to take for granted now have to be governmentally regulated because of the degenerates.
I went into a favorite bar with my wife last night. Its a favorite place for the Harley clubs to hang out. I had my kel-tec 380 P3AT in my front pocket.
BTW my good friend Mr. Sig232...I thought Harley Davidson motorcycles parked in front of a bar meant bad news
 

·
Pro Gun Advocate
Joined
·
10,940 Posts
SatanzBountyHunter said:
sig232 said:
I have more faith in the individuals that carry guns I guess. Maybe I am wrong, but I think most individuals have the common sense to do the right thing, even after having a drink or two.
I normally would agree, but in today's society there are now a whole bunch of scum that are completely out of control, have no common sense and are void in the concept of personal responsibility. These constantly increasing laws and social programs are created because of them and things 'normal people' used to take for granted now have to be governmentally regulated because of the degenerates.
The only counterpoint I could make is that very, very few CCW holders have ever gotten into trouble.

An actually, in Virginia, you can legally open carry if you legally purchase a gun...no license required. And in restaurants that serve alcohol (we have no true 'bars;' that is, establishments that serve alcohol but no food), you may open carry but not conceal carry.

And we have no issues with the cliche gunfight, or even other acts of violence.

Quite honestly criminals that use guns do not carry regularly, or in holsters, or when out dining. Ans--as you know--if someone is bent on comitting violence, no law or ordinance is going to have any effect on them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,424 Posts
SatanzBountyHunter said:
I normally would agree, but in today's society there are now a whole bunch of scum that are completely out of control, have no common sense and are void in the concept of personal responsibility. These constantly increasing laws and social programs are created because of them and things 'normal people' used to take for granted now have to be governmentally regulated because of the degenerates.
That may be true, but, at least around here, they are not the ones who go to the time, trouble and expense of obtaining a CHL. Most, if not all, folks who fall into that catagory would not pass the background investigation to do so, anyway.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top