National Gun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I "inherited" a slew of "CAVIM" .308 brass and remembered seeing some cautions about it in some other forums. I went back and looked in one forum I knew for sure had something about it, and sure enough -- true to form -- the answers and discussion in the thread "wandered too far off-topic" and was closed. (That's one thing that keeps me coming back here, BTW --- our mods don't wear jackboots!)

ANYWAY ... other than some primer sealant issues and possible lacquer on the brass, does anyone know anything about CAVIM Venezuelan brass? I would like to sell it or load it, but I'm not playing games with safety or nasty chambers.

Thanks in advance!

GR

·
Galactic Effectuator
525 Posts
If I'm remembering correctly, this is military or paramilitary ammo. All FMJ stuff for autoloading military sort of rifles. Therefore, there's a good chance the brass has been fired in generously sized chambers and will require attention in resizing. Not impossible, but just another caution.

Laquer on the cases usually indicates a steel case. Check with a magnet. If it's real brass, the coating was just to help it extract.

Primer sealant is just waterproofing. All military and most commercial ammo has some sort of primer seal. If you mean crimped primers, yes, probably. Again, one more step in the re-use process, but nothing overwhelming.

I suggest you take a handful, clean it well and examine it for cracks, splits or other signs of failure. Determine if it is really brass. See what it takes to prepare one to five for reloading: sizing - use plenty of lube, decap and check for crimp, and even check the measurements of head, extractor groove and outside neck dimensions. Then you'll be able to determine if you want to reload it. If you don't want to reload it, don't sell it; take it to the scrap man and sell it as scrap brass.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a Chavez Special -- Venezuelan military. They are definitely brass, that's not an issue. The primer sealant is normal with mil cases, this is just green instead of red or purple -- BUT -- there is a small amt of something on top of the sealant.

I pretty much know most of what I need to about these things, it's just that I had heard some "stuff" going around about CAVIM and needed to learn more, if there is anthing more to learn!

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts