National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
4,403 Posts
Do it, do it , do it, do it, do it.

Just throw out the Lee factory crimp die.

Have you reloaded before or are you new to it.

· Registered
4,403 Posts
Are those genuine Dillon dies? A new bare bones setup may be cheaper but as you add dies, shell plates and other nick knacks they add up quick. Most of the time they have a disclaimer that what you are buying does not look like the picture. I didn't spend any time looking for the fine print.

· Registered
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I've reloaded before. I almost died 20 years ago. Lost everything. Then got some stuff to reload. I don't feel patient enough to go through single stage reloading handgun now. I go out and work. Gone for a week at a time. Then get time off. In the past three years. I had times I'd be out for three months at a time. Anyways....
I'd like to just knock out reloading. Something good.
This seems to really fit the bill. Even the calibers I want to do.
I estimate what he has there is worth about $1200 new.

To be honest. If society didn't have all the prices on ammo way up. Also unavailability. I might not have worried about reloading at this time. I know components aren't easy either. But still better than the ammo prices.
I just picked up this membership at the range. Plan to be shooting.

· Registered
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lot cheaper and no shipping charge.

On Dillon's site. As in that same picture. It's $851...
There is a change to a pivot point that makes it a C. I can get the upgrade kit.

· Super Moderator
15,152 Posts
Absolutely do it. Dillon stuff is considered among the best of progressives and the company is one of the best at backing up their product. Lots of others will really back their product too, though, so it's a tough call. RCBS presses, dies and other equipment is equally excellent and backed by an excellent company.

But you're doing well!

--Wag--

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,014 Posts
I gave my reloading press to my son several years ago. I didn't have time to mess with reloading, while trying to run a farm. If you have time and enjoy doing it, go ahead and get the press.

· Registered
17,522 Posts
I have two of those and love them. Do they work perfect? No and i have yet to see or hear of a progressive that does. Keeping them cleaned and lubed helps along with paying attention but you will have some minor problems occasionally. When i hear some of my friends talk about their LEE's or Hornaday's I'm super glad i have the Dillons. I forgot what i paid for my last one but i remember the powder measure was extra(around $100) and the caliber conversions, dies and other stuff does add up quickly so that looks like a great price.
Not sure why Fred doesn't like the Lee crimp dies. I'm not a huge Lee fan but the crimp dies work nicely, for me anyway.

· Registered
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have three things... I didn't buy it....
1) Another guy jumped on it. Started bidding. I didn't want to get in a bidding war on it. Can't afford it.
2) Would have to go on credit. I have lots of credit. But pushing the budget. If you know what I mean.
3) I have realoading equipment. Just not a good press. I ran across this RCBS Summit press at my LGS. Great price on it. Only $189. Always wanted one of those. I did realoading on a friends. (I think it was Forester?) It was open in the front. It was fast for a single stage. Much of the reason is it's open in the front. So I went ahead and bought the press at the LGS. It isn't the regular green crinkle paint. It's red, white, blue. Says on the box they devote money to Veterans on this one. ??? Not crazy about the colors. Am crazy about the price.

It's sitting where my Rock Chucker used to sit. I've actually kept that bench all these years.

I did buy a set of dies for 38/357. Also a little electronic scale. I can cross check with my other scale.
Some bullets.... geesh... at these prices. It's going to be $5 a box just for the bullets themselves. But then I look at ammo prices.

· Aim true !
14,169 Posts
I like the red white and blue. You could have bought a 8 station turret for the price though. Im real happy with mine.

· Registered
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the red white and blue. You could have bought a 8 station turret for the price though. Im real happy with mine.

Your turret is on backorder right now. :) It is really nice. Congrats. Lyman makes good stuff.
Besides... seems like everybody and his uncle has RCBS. Nice to be a little different.

If you ever worked a press like what I have. One open in front. Handle comes down from above. You'd know how well they work. They're fast. I had the pleasure of working one a friend had. We did 500 rounds in a couple hours. He was talking about it. I took him up on the offer to try it. I was impressed. This is what we reloaded on. Forster Co-Ax
It's expensive. I'm also guessing it's expensive to make one like that which is stable and strong.
On mine, I can switch sides with the handle. Stick out a little to the right or left. It's one to get some work done pretty fast. In the end... I'm very happy with it.

It's a shame the Dillon deal didn't work out for me. Just at this time. It was at the limit of what I want to budget. It was barely there for me. Any more money and I had to pass. Maybe a brand new Dillon is in the future for me? Always liked Dillon. I make plenty of money. But gotta work on getting better off financially.

I just recently switched to this job of being home more. Otherwise couldn't even think of doing much of anything at home. I was working 3 months at a time. That's not coming home. I wouldn't have gotten the range membership or anything. Also the other thing is the Zombie Apocalypse is upon us. It's getting bad. People are going nuts.

I have a Lee hand press, a little Lee C press, and a Lee progressive. All I did with the progressive is fool with it all the time. It was a headache. The hand and little C are good for what they are. Pretty darn slow working them. I'll keep them. Use them sometimes.
Also I haven't done all that much reloading. Done some. I might be better off working one stage at a time in reloading. Check that entire tray, one last time, to see the loads are all the same size. Things like that.

In looking through Midway. Surprised at all the presses coming down in price. They have that cast Lee Classic O press that one person mentioned in a thread. It is a good strong press. Only $139.

· Aim true !
14,169 Posts
I have a Lee APP press i got recently. Just for decapping. It has the handle on top. I like it a lot. Fast way to decap. Yeah i saw the lyman in on back order again. It was before too. When they got more in i grabbed one. Here is the Lee app. The guys over on castboolets like the app too.

· Registered
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a Lee APP press i got recently. Just for decapping. It has the handle on top. I like it a lot. Fast way to decap. Yeah i saw the lyman in on back order again. It was before too. When they got more in i grabbed one. Here is the Lee app. The guys over on castboolets like the app too.

Thanks.... That looks like it would be great for handgun. Just knock them out. I'll get one.
I'll have to work with it in person. See how strong it is. Need something good, strong, and exact for rifle. If ya wanna be real accurate. You didn't need to mention the resizing at same time. It's a given.

· Aim true !
14,169 Posts
I use a universal decapping die. I resize when i load. Im not sure how the app would be for resizing rifle. But then i loaded rifle on a lee c press before i got the lyman. I collect a lot of brass and sell it decapped and tumbled. The main reason i got the app is to speed up processing.

· Registered
8,425 Posts
I had the 550 at one time; it was ~OK~; like most presses like that, priming areas tend to tweak the most often. I now own a Hornady LnL

· Registered
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I received my APP Press today. Quick shipping from Midway. Can't do any reloading.
Just got back yesterday afternoon. Heading back out early morning. Going to try to stay away during Rally time.
Not sure when I'll get to reloading. I'm just shooting. Creating brass for now.
One thing holding me up. Haven't found my reloading books and logs yet. Looking in boxes for them.

· Aim true !
14,169 Posts
I had my lead levels checked since using the app press. I processed a lot of brass with it. I figured it may be a little high. 7.2 with in normal. I think the primer collection bottle and not having to grab every decapped case helped.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.