National Gun Forum banner

WHAT CALIBER IS BEST FOR CARRY? (SELF DEFENSE)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Country Dad
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i MY SELF OWN A TAURES PT140. IM ALL ABOUT HAVING A .40 ON MY SIDE. BUT I KNOW SOME PEOPLE ARE GONNA SAY ITS ABOUT THE ROUND OR SHOT PLACEMENT. I STILL LIKE TO HAVE MY .40 THO.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Nothing wrong with the .40cal. Lots of Police outfits use it. I would say any caliber from 9mm up to .44spl or .45ACP makes a good primary gun as long as you can hit what your aiming at. I like the nothing less than a .380 for back up. It's really all a matter of what you like the best and practice with the most IMHO. ;)

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
What? No revolver calibers?

Reactions: C-D-P

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Yeah, what Popeye said! I still like .38 Spl and .357 Mag.

G

·
I went with the 380 Auto because I tend to carry this cal more often. I would like to carry my .40, but it is easier to pick up my P3AT & put it in my pocket. If it wasn't for convienence I would vote for the .40 cal.
-Matt

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
MattK1 said:
I went with the 380 Auto because I tend to carry this cal more often. I would like to carry my .40, but it is easier to pick up my P3AT & put it in my pocket. If it wasn't for convienence I would vote for the .40 cal.
-Matt

I go the 380 route also because its small and light and I can fit it in my front pocket.

If going to a dangerous part of town or in the woods I will pack a 45 acp. If I were a LEO I would want the largest caliber that I could handle well.

G

·
just like it has been said before, the best caliber is the one that you can consistently be accurate with. but i wouldn't want to be in a gun fight with anything that didn't start with .4 I currently consistantly carry a g23 40 cal.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Ah, yes, the question with no correct answer.

I carry a .40 because of a perceived stopping power advantage.

But it's all about shot placement (sorry). ;)

And most criminals don't like those who can fight back, so any gun is likely to make them back down, as long as it's held with confidence.

G

·
Well, I think this is a personal preference more than anything else.
You will get people who like all of the above mentioned calibers and
some who prefer ones ( calibers ) not listed. I myself like the Corbon
9mm 115gr. +P loaded into something like a Kahr or CZ 75 Compact,
for me this round is very accurate, has plenty of energy and most
important ( for me ) is controllable. Just my 2 cents.

G

·
I decided to be an odd ball and voted .32 acp. Technically my opinion is worthless cause carry is illegal in this state. However, I happen to know I look pretty sharp with my .32 Walther PPK/S so that would be my CC of choice if I could. :cool:

G

·
icarry a .45 always! in a self defense situation a larger hole rather than deeper penetration makes more sense to me; since im not likely to have to shoot through glass or doors.if thats the case i can run away w/joy and pride.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
I like the 9mm for a carry 'self defense' weapon. 15+1 in say a Beretta 92FS will get you out of about any situation and is lethal enough.

If I was on duty and hunting people though.....45ACP in a 1911 all day every day!

G

·
I like both 9mm and 45 acp for ccw because that what I carry most of the time.I must admit I am partial
to my glocks 17 and 26 but I also have a SW99 in 45 that has the best trigger on a pistol i've ever shot!

G

·
The original question was for "carry", which to me implies concealment. That may not be the case with the intent, but it is for me. That being said, I'd choose a reliable, easy to conceal handgun, which can give you the best "bang" for your buck (buck inferring practice and power). To my way of thinking, that would point to the .357 Magnum; more specifically, in a Ruger SP101, 2" barreled frame. Rugged, powerful and relatively easy to conceal. What more could you ask for, for personal defense? I was really surprised not to see this caliber included in the survey, which is why I elected the "other" option. JMO.

G

·
http://www.reelfishingwithgunner.com/KN ... NITION.htm

http://www.btammolabs.com/articles.htm

Good info.

Also, the .40 was designed for the FBI after the disaster of the Miami shoot out. Designed to take down bad guys. The 9mm has proven itself time and time again in the war on terror. The .45=bigger bullet=better stopping power....

So, i wish they made the HK P30(my first future handgun) in .40 because thats what i think i would try and it seems like a happy medium.

G

·
I carry a .380 Ruger LCP, because it is small and easy to conceal,but it has CorBon JHP rounds.
I can hit what I aim at, so it's gonna get the job done.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts