National Gun Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a new Sig 556, but am not sure which accessories I should get to go along with it. Besides the obvious accessories of Magazines and Ammunition, what accessories do you suggest I get? Thanks for your help!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If this is your first weapon of this type I would suggest you do not buy anything beyond extra magazines and a sling, (and of course plenty of ammunition). Enrol in a quality tactical class and by the time the class is over you will have a very good idea of what will really work and what is junk. Keep in mind that it is pretty easy to build a single mission combat weapon, it is not nearly so easy to build a multi role combat weapon and it is VERY easy to spend your hard earned money on bolt on junk for your gun.

In the class you will learn for yourself what you need. That is much better than taking the advise of somebody on the internet that you don't have any idea what their qualifications or background is or what/why they think their ideal combat rifle is.

By the way, the Sig 556 is not an AR15. It does shoot the same caliber and has several similar characteristics but that does not make it an AR15. You probably knew that, but just thought I would clarify for those that do not.

I would point out that if you do go with the Sig your going to loose two of the big advantages of the AR platform and that is ease of finding somebody qualified to work on it and ease of finding parts. If you have an AR go down you have literally hundreds of choices to look to for parts. If your Sig goes down, you have one single place to look and your going to wait as long as it takes to get that special replacement part from them.

Hope this info helps some!

Jon Kruger
President, Anvil Arms LLC
Lakeland, FL.

Manufacturer of AR15/M16 type weapons
Class III Dealer
Lifetime NRA Member

[email protected]
http://www.anvilarms.com

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jon-Anvil_Arms said:
If this is your first weapon of this type I would suggest you do not buy anything beyond extra magazines and a sling, (and of course plenty of ammunition). Enrol in a quality tactical class and by the time the class is over you will have a very good idea of what will really work and what is junk. Keep in mind that it is pretty easy to build a single mission combat weapon, it is not nearly so easy to build a multi role combat weapon and it is VERY easy to spend your hard earned money on bolt on junk for your gun.

In the class you will learn for yourself what you need. That is much better than taking the advise of somebody on the internet that you don't have any idea what their qualifications or background is or what/why they think their ideal combat rifle is.

By the way, the Sig 556 is not an AR15. It does shoot the same caliber and has several similar characteristics but that does not make it an AR15. You probably knew that, but just thought I would clarify for those that do not.

I would point out that if you do go with the Sig your going to loose two of the big advantages of the AR platform and that is ease of finding somebody qualified to work on it and ease of finding parts. If you have an AR go down you have literally hundreds of choices to look to for parts. If your Sig goes down, you have one single place to look and your going to wait as long as it takes to get that special replacement part from them.

Hope this info helps some!

Jon Kruger
President, Anvil Arms LLC
Lakeland, FL.

Manufacturer of AR15/M16 type weapons
Class III Dealer
Lifetime NRA Member

[email protected]
http://www.anvilarms.com
I definately agree, training classes have been a great investment for me and fun as well. As far as accesories, you need to understand the capabilities of your gun, and plan what your intended uses are. I would recommend not replacing any "inside" parts. Such as triggers, springs or pins. You don't want to make your gun less reliable. I speak from experience. Keep it simple. Maybe get a nice stock, a nice handguard, maybe a light system.
Whatever you decide, do your research and don't buy cheap parts. It is better to buy well known parts instead of having to replace cheap parts.
Good luck and have fun, I still enjoy shooting my AR's after all these years!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts